• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foreign owned/run albergues on the Norte

SafariGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Hi,
Could anyone tell me please if they're aware of any privately owned/run albergues on the Camino del Norte owned by non-Spanish nationals (ideally with English-speaking owners)? I'm about to start the Camino and would like to include a stay at one such albergue en route, if one exists.
Muchas gracias todos
Michele
:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is true, this albergue is a gem, however, make sure you arrive early (even tho it has a 3 p.m. opening time - unless this has changed) to be able to get a bed. Their limit is 26 (unless things have changed since 2015) and pilgrims are then turned away. They do NOT take reservations and do not arrive via taxi.

In 2015 this was the hardest thing for me to do as hospitalera. There was talk of another albergue opening up about 2 kms further on the Camino, not sure if that has happened.
Hola Michele - the Albergue San Martin at Miraz is owned and run by the English Confraternity of St James and is a real gem on the Del Norte: https://www.csj.org.uk/about-us/hospitality-our-refuges/refugio-de-peregrinos-de-miraz-the-refugio/

The Albergue is run by lovely volunteers from the confraternity with excellent facilities and a nice cup of tea! I hope you have a wonderful time on the Norte it's great :)

Buen Camino,
Kat
Safari Girl
That is true, this albergue is a gem, however, make sure you arrive early (even tho it has a 3 p.m. opening time - unless this has changed) to be able to get a bed. Their limit is 26 (unless things have changed since 2015) and pilgrims are then turned away. They do NOT take reservations and do not arrive via taxi.

In 2015 this was the hardest thing for me to do as hospitalera. There was talk of another albergue opening up about 2 kms further on the Camino, not sure if that has happened.

Buen Camino!

Safari Girl

Buen Camino!
Many thanks Ingrid, I'll make a note! All the best
Michele :)

Safari Girl

Buen Camino!
Hi Ingrid,

I think things have changed since you were there as a hospitalera. I'm going out to Miraz to volunteer in June and am really looking forward to it and received this information

At Seixon, a kilometre before Miraz at the junction of the roads to Parga and Friol near the Camino, there are two new private albergues. One is Albergue a Lagoa, with an albergue at the rear of the bar. They have a small general store and accommodation for 16 beds, and the other is Albergue Turistico Miraz, with 80 beds, (this one is not in the village of Miraz). Helena, at Witericus, between Parga and Miraz, has a small albergue with 9 bunks. Helena provides a hot drink and a sello (stamp) for pilgrims passing through.There is a bar O’Abrigo at the far end of the village that serves a Pilgrim Menu and has accommodation for 40 pilgrims.

So it seems Miraz is less of a pinch point then it was. I have just heard though that the 80 bed hostel has been closed by the Junta as it had no licence.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Ingrid,

I think things have changed since you were there as a hospitalera. I'm going out to Miraz to volunteer in June and am really looking forward to it and received this information

At Seixon, a kilometre before Miraz at the junction of the roads to Parga and Friol near the Camino, there are two new private albergues. One is Albergue a Lagoa, with an albergue at the rear of the bar. They have a small general store and accommodation for 16 beds, and the other is Albergue Turistico Miraz, with 80 beds, (this one is not in the village of Miraz). Helena, at Witericus, between Parga and Miraz, has a small albergue with 9 bunks. Helena provides a hot drink and a sello (stamp) for pilgrims passing through.There is a bar O’Abrigo at the far end of the village that serves a Pilgrim Menu and has accommodation for 40 pilgrims.

So it seems Miraz is less of a pinch point then it was. I have just heard though that the 80 bed hostel has been closed by the Junta as it had no licence.
Hi Mark, That's really useful to know. Many thanks for the update.
All the best
Michele :)

A German family have two rooms with places for 8 pilgrims in Cuerres, it's about 6km before Ribadesella. They might be in the new Northern Camino's book, but they don't like being advertised. They speak good English and it is run on a donativo basis but is worthy of your biggest contribution on the Norte. The Camino in 2012 passed right next to their front door.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A German family have two rooms with places for 8 pilgrims in Cuerres, it's about 6km before Ribadesella. They might be in the new Northern Camino's book, but they don't like being advertised. They speak good English and it is run on a donativo basis but is worthy of your biggest contribution on the Norte. The Camino in 2012 passed right next to their front door.
¡Perfecto! Muchas gracias Isca :)

Hi Ingrid,

O'Abrigo was the one I was referring to. In 2015, they were in full preparation to open a 40 bed albergue. They had WIFI and all day pilgrims menu and Mochilla transfer. Glad this has happened, because it is aweful to turn pilgrims away.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
O'Abrigo was the one I was referring to. In 2015, they were in full preparation to open a 40 bed albergue. They had WIFI and all day pilgrims menu and Mochilla transfer. Glad this has happened, because it is aweful to turn pilgrims away.
Muchas gracias Ingrid :)

Also in Cuerres there is an amazin, recently opened donativo albergue: El Reposo del Andayón, run by Kristine, a Belgian lady. Very adviceable.

Also in Cuerres there is an amazin, recently opened donativo albergue: El Reposo del Andayón, run by Kristine, a Belgian lady. Very adviceable.
¡Genial! Gracias Juanma :)

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back