A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID Foreigners are allowed to travel to Spain starting July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
More here:

It is not clear if this includes Schengen area or everyone, but at least things are starting to open up. I assume we will get more clarifications on this over the next few days (it was announces just a few minutes ago). Also, I assume that the 14 day quarantine will also disappear (but we will have to wait for confirmation on this).

All the best from Santiago,
Ivar

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
ivar, this is clearly what the Government wants, but Parliament is still a bit reticent.

We'll see how things go when it's time for the Government to try and extend the State of Alarm beyond June 7th ...

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Im eligible for the antibody test in the UK, hopefully the ' flu' me and my partner had in mid March leads to a positive test and the reservations I have about joining my Camigos in late July won't seem such a dilemma.

Lexicos

Camino(s) past & future
1 Frances
2 Portuguese
Time will tell whether this will work or not. I’m sure many of us are hopeful, especially those of us booked for late summer and Autumn. Let’s hope it goes well, for everyone’s benefit. If we all try hard, follow the rules and do our best it might just work Ivar. I hope so.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Via De La Plata, Camino De Madrid, The Oberstrasse, Camino Ingles, Camino Portugues
The thing to remember that this is for tourists, staying in hotels with some restrictions and does not take into account the now reduced number of refuges we use on the camino. This is not a reason to just travel to Spain and start walking folks!

Rmarkob

Camino(s) past & future
April 2020 (postponed indefinitely)
Im eligible for the antibody test in the UK, hopefully the ' flu' me and my partner had in mid March leads to a positive test and the reservations I have about joining my Camigos in late July won't seem such a dilemma.
I had the exact same thought, since I also had a fever of 38.9 for a few days in March. Got the antibody test last week - negative. 😔

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
The thing to remember that this is for tourists, staying in hotels with some restrictions and does not take into account the now reduced number of refuges we use on the camino. This is not a reason to just travel to Spain and start walking folks!
From my side the Spanish friends who will be walking at the end of July have already thought about that,they would be walking the Camino do Mar from Ribadeo, for them ( or us) it would be pensions and hotels all the way even when they joined the Camino Ingles. If I do have antibodies then this is time for me to walk, there is no guarantee that I will still have them later.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
I had the exact same thought, since I also had a fever of 38.9 for a few days in March. Got the antibody test last week - negative. 😔
The UK is using the Roche test, which they claim is a 100% accurate( that is a bold claim) im not sure about other tests but I have seen claims that many out there already l are running at 60% - 80% accuracy, so who knows

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Out door dinning, chiringitos on the beach. One my friends showed pictures of people out and about in Cartegena in Murcia province, no indoor eating or drinking.

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
From my side the Spanish friends who will be walking at the end of July have already thought about that,they would be walking the Camino do Mar from Ribadeo, for them ( or us) it would be pensions and hotels all the way even when they joined the Camino Ingles. If I do have antibodies then this is time for me to walk, there is no guarantee that I will still have them later.
The Camiño do Mar is not possible yet because involves two provinces: Lugo and Coruña. The Xunta is claiming to the central government that movements among different provinces inside Galicia are allowed.
I think that for June/July this will be possible.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in September 2015
More here:

It is not clear if this includes Schengen area or everyone, but at least things are starting to open up. I assume we will get more clarifications on this over the next few days (it was announces just a few minutes ago). Also, I assume that the 14 day quarantine will also disappear (but we will have to wait for confirmation on this).

Ivar
I call that good news.

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
This is excellent news! So many have written off this year but I had a feeling that Spain would open up again.

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
Pilgrims, walkers, whatever you want to call us - we are still tourists.

Not everyone stays in albergues anyway, many choose private accommodation, some even camp.

enjoyingthejourney

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
Did anyone here which countries he meant? Just Schengen? Every newspaper says something different...

enjoyingthejourney

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
From what I have heard so far, my opinion is that the first allowed will be German and French tourists going to the Balearic and Canary islands.
That is interesting, that you say that, because that is what the German news have been saying too...that is why I was wondering, because if Spain opens up for everyone, than this means the whole EU Probably will open up. Ahhh we will see. It is so confusing.

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
It was my understanding that within the Schengen area, each respective country was going to open their borders to foreign tourists (EU residents only) effective late June or early July via "corridors". By corridors I understand this to mean connecting regions within Spain and between Spain and other countries whereby the opening up process had reached a similar stage (ie stage 4)

I dont this announcement applies to non EU residents but time will tell.

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Lycian Way, Turkey
At the end of April it was reported that the Spanish borders would be closed until October to foreigners

If "foreigners" means everybody then the Spanish government is changing its mind (yet again) and could very well change its mind again in the future (close its borders again)

Last edited:

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
The UK is using the Roche test, which they claim is a 100% accurate( that is a bold claim) im not sure about other tests but I have seen claims that many out there already l are running at 60% - 80% accuracy, so who knows
This is a link to the Public Health England analysis results on both the Roche and Abbott serology antibody tests.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
I suppose that the list of countries will be given later and will depend on the evolution of the covid in the different countries. I suppose the list will include all Schengen countries plus countries that are in a similar or better situation than Spain.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
At the end of April it was reported that the Spanish borders would be closed until October to foreigners

If "foreigners" means everybody then the Spanish government is changing its mind (yet again) and could very well change its mind again in the future (close its borders again)
That's the first time I have heard October, I heard the border closure was being extended, by two weeks and that was at the end of April.

I don't want to get into political debates on the forum, but ABC is maybe not a fan of any government which doesn't include the PP, so using that paper as reference for anything factual about this present Spanish government is not reliable

FSP

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(13)
Portuguese & Finisterre(16)
Norte & Muxia(18)
Olvidado&Salvador&Primitivo(20??)
For those of us travelling from outside Europe it still comes down to whether our countries keep a travel advisory on or not. If you want to be insured there can't be a travel advisory. Given the stats Spain published this past week during a reopening period it might be some time before we see a travel advisory lifted. On May 18 they reported 469 new cases. On May 21 that jumped to 1787 new cases. Very tough times for everyone, keeping my fingers crossed for a vaccine. Here's the link for the stats.

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Lycian Way, Turkey
That's the first time I have heard October, I heard the border closure was being extended, by two weeks and that was at the end of April.

I don't want to get into political debates on the forum, but ABC is maybe not a fan of any government which doesn't include the PP, so using that paper as reference for anything factual about this present Spanish government is not reliable
Here is another link dated May 3 (only two weeks ago) with references and links to October as a possible date that the borders would remain closed

And here is current status on border closures across the region

And another

It seems that Spain is doing a 180

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
For those of us travelling from outside Europe it still comes down to whether our countries keep a travel advisory on or not. If you want to be insured there can't be a travel advisory. Given the stats Spain published this past week during a reopening period it might be some time before we see a travel advisory lifted. On May 18 they reported 469 new cases. On May 21 that jumped to 1787 new cases. Very tough times for everyone, keeping my fingers crossed for a vaccine. Here's the link for the stats.
Very good point about travel insurance. So there are two basic types of travel insurance, the transportation type, and the medical type. I know we always travel with medical travel insurance but now will need to check the policies to make sure they will be in effect during the pandemic AND under travel advisories. I also wonder if there may be restrictions to coverage if you travel through a country under advisory but destination is not under advisory. Things just got a little more complicated but thanks for pointing this out.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Here is another link dated May 3 (only two weeks ago) with references and links to October as a possible date that the borders would remain closed

And here is current status on border closures across the region

And another

It seems that Spain is doing a 180
I can not see anything from the EU commission definitely giving Spain as an October reopening.

I get updates from the UK Foreign Office Spain travel, service they have not posted anything from the Spanish Government about October opening,so it sounded just like speculation, which at the moment there is lots of even from political leaders.

My own personal view is they might extend the restrictions from mid June to Mid July, but that going to be a tough one for their Government to get consensus on, so like everyone I wait.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Why are you discussing what you read in the newspapers at the end of April 2020? We are at the end of May 2020 now, and what matters is the situation right now. And the decisions matter that have actually been taken by the various governments in the various countries and have been implemented, not what a minister or a head of government said yesterday or the day before in a speech or press conference.

Yes, there was talk about October ... google Minister for Employment Yolanda Díaz and Government Spokesperson María Jesús Montero for news reports around the 20th of April but that really is yesterday's news!

If you are not a resident in an EU+ country, give or take a few countries, then you can't travel to any of these EU+ countries until 15 June. And nothing has been fixed yet for the time after the 15th. If you are a resident in an EU+ country, then good luck with trying to figure out whether you can cross any borders, if so which borders and under which conditions in the next 2-4 weeks. Beyond that? Make plans, as Sanchez said, but don't book anything yet unless there are clear booking conditions that allow you to cancel without penalty.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The situation changes as we go along...april was april.. may is may. Spain will now open to Spaniards in June and foreigners in July (we still have to see if it is Schengen only or more ). We have been fighting this virus day by day, and now (in May) we are at the point were we can start opening up. What we knew more about the situation in may than we did in April.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Why are you discussing what you read in the newspapers at the end of April 2020? We are at the end of May 2020 now,
We discuss because we are, people tend to not be automatons and have all kinds of discussions emotional and opionated going on, hard work for some people, but there you go. Thanks for your input

Paul J W

Paul J
Camino(s) past & future
Miscellaneous camino routes since 2000.
When flights resume from U.K. (most probably) it will be necessary before departure to undergo basic screening to establish that you are not testing positive for Covid19. The same arrangement will apply for the return flight. Should you not be tested positive you will not be permitted to fly. Point being that potentially you could be “stranded” in Spain.
Delays could be costly and insurance will not cover you in that situation. Need to be mindful too that, most probably (and very regrettably), with effect from 31 December the EHIC will not be valid.
Just flagging up some travel implications.

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
The situation changes as we go along...april was april.. may is may. Spain will now open to Spaniards in June and foreigners in July (we still have to see if it is Schengen only or more ). We have been fighting this virus day by day, and now (in May) we are at the point were we can start opening up. What we knew more about the situation in may than we did in April.
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Just don't know what is correct anymore. Are you allowed out and about in Santiago now? It seems that you were much more restricted than where I live in the US. Stay healthy.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
When flights resume from U.K. (most probably) it will be necessary before departure to undergo basic screening to establish that you are not testing positive for Covid19. The same arrangement will apply for the return flight. Should you not be tested positive you will not be permitted to fly. Point being that potentially you could be “stranded” in Spain.
Delays could be costly and insurance will not cover you in that situation. Need to be mindful too that, most probably (and very regrettably), with effect from 31 December the EHIC will not be valid.
I agree with you on this. Testing for the virus before leaving would have to be within 24 hours, that's what they are doing in some Hospital to Care settings transfer now, I doubt just because I wanted to go to Spain they would test me on that basis. But if an antibody test happens for me before mid July, I am eligible, and I test positive, then it might ease my entry into several countries, hopefully Spain will be one.
We don't know much about the longevity or effictivenes of antibodies at the moment hopefully they are good for a few months at least.

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
Sanchez was quoted saying that "everyone will be welcome from July", so it sounds like it won't just be EU citizens. Good news for those non Europeans. Remember that a big chunk of visitors to Spain are from Asia, the Americas and beyond.
Going to dust down my shell and looking forward to seeing Santiago this year.

Damico Walking

Ready, and waiting, to walk
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal route May 2020 (not to be)
Portuguese coastal route TBD post COVID-19
Ivar, thank you for keeping us informed with the latest official information and providing updates as things gain clarity.

Everyone needs to make their own decision for when they try for another camino. What is right for one person may not be for another. I, for one, am as anxious as most to get to the camino. Especially since tomorrow would have been my first day walking out of Porto on the coastal route. But I have no desire to be on the leading edge of the opening. There are several conditions that should be met before I will be comfortable traveling.

1) Countries we pass through during our trip are not under Shelter Orders.
2) The Shelter Orders have been lifted long enough that we have seen the effects of the "second wave" expected later this year.
3) Borders of all countries we pass through during our trip are open, condition 2 above applies.
4) The new camino normal has been established. The new normal needs to be determined, tested, modified, and retested. This is best accomplished by the more experienced camino enthusiasts. I think I would just get in the way not knowing how things used to work vs how they now work.
5) Travel medical insurance will be in effect throughout our trip.
6) The medical facilities are back to their manageable, post crisis, levels.
7) We are comfortable we will not be a burden on the host countries.
8) The transportation industry has settled on the new rules, implemented them, and have had time to modify them as needed.
9) The people of the host countries along the way have had adequate time to put the pandemic behind them and are ready for visitors.
10) Facilities along the way are open and happy to receive patrons. This would be all facilities, hospitality, local transportation, retail, etc. Wouldn't want to get into a situation where something critical is needed but can't be gotten due to restrictions.
11) Hopefully a vaccine is available for the masses and we have been fortunate enough to have gotten it.

And all good programs must have 12 steps, so.....
12) I have gotten new shoes to replace the ones I have worn out.

My conditions are not meant for everyone or as a set of rules to be followed. They are just the things that concern me before I start my journey and like many concerns they may change over time. I want my camino to be as positive a memory for me and everyone I encounter.

Everyone have a Buen Camino

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
You will possibly be waiting a long time for a vaccine, so maybe reconsider #11? Even WHO said that we will have to live with the virus for a long time.

Obviously up to you, but I am keen to get back on the camino. Many livelihoods depend on tourists, which is why Spain are keen for visitors to return.

Let's have some faith in the Spanish government. They would not be opening their borders if it wasn't safe.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I don’t know if Prof. Erin Bromage has received as much notoriety outside the US as he has here (and possibly in his native Australia), but his posts strike a terrific balance with scientific facts, common sense, and practicality. His post on airplane flying, though based on a trip he took before the shutdown, offers a lot of things to consider for those of us who will have to fly to get back to the camino, whenever it is that Spain welcomes us back!

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola Ivar; Great news. It might be the savior of many of those smaller privately operated albergues. Unfortunately without a vaccine my overseas travel is still severely limited (like no where). Still I will wish all the new pilgrims a very Buen Camino.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Did anyone here which countries he meant? Just Schengen? Every newspaper says something different...
Basically, it's EU countries + Schengen travel zone countries + UK -- minus any countries in that list which will be in a lockdown

(because not every EU country is in the Schengen area ; the Schengen "travel zone" includes countries in the EEA plus a few that a part of neither the EU, nor the EEA, nor the Schengen "area" proper ; and the UK because it is in the midst of the 2020 Brexit transition period -- all of this is usually just called "Schengen" by journalists as shorthand)

EDIT : Oh !! Forgot that the current EU plan, and seemingly the specific Spanish one, is to establish a complementary list of countries deemed safe for international travel. Nobody has any idea which ones will make the list, but Japan would for example be more likely to be on the list than USA, as the epidemic has hit the former far less severely than the latter.

Last edited:

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Just don't know what is correct anymore. Are you allowed out and about in Santiago now? It seems that you were much more restricted than where I live in the US. Stay healthy.
Here the restriction was really strict. Non-essential workers were allowed to leave their homes only to go to the supermarket / pharmacy and to take their pet for a walk. Kids were not allowed to go out at all.

Fortunately, the situation is now much better. Throughout the territory you can go to the terraces of the bars and in most of the territory you can also go inside the bars (half the capacity of the bar), the shops are open (equal, half the capacity), you can go out for a walk or for sport ...

However, there are still some important limitations. You cannot move from one province to another, most spectcles are not allowed yet, is a limit at the maximun number of people in meetings, etc. And international borders remain closed.

The scheduled calendar shows that by the end of June everything will enter in the "new normal era". "New normal era", meaning that everything will be normal, but it will still be some regulations (for example: the capacity of most public facilities, such as hotels, will probably be reduced, some extra hygienic measures, etc.). How this extra measures will affect the international flights? Ok, this is still unknown. I suppose that this will depend on the evolution of the covid in the different countries and consequently in the decisions that the Spanish government and the EU will take.

It should be clear that the scheduled calendar corresponds to the programmed evolution of covid. If the covid evolves better or worse than programmed, the calendar will be modified.

Last edited:

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
We are all tourists .

enjoyingthejourney

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2019
Basically, it's EU countries + Schengen travel zone countries + UK -- minus any countries in that list which will be in a lockdown

(because not every EU country is in the Schengen area ; the Schengen "travel zone" includes countries in the EEA plus a few that a part of neither the EU, nor the EEA, nor the Schengen "area" proper ; and the UK because it is in the midst of the 2020 Brexit transition period -- all of this is usually just called "Schengen" by journalists as shorthand)

EDIT : Oh !! Forgot that the current EU plan, and seemingly the specific Spanish one, is to establish a complementary list of countries deemed safe for international travel. Nobody has any idea which ones will make the list, but Japan would for example be more likely to be on the list than USA, as the epidemic has hit the former far less severely than the latter.
thank you for your reply. It got really complicated since brexit. You are right people started saying Schengen, I hear EU+ EU-

well I am from Germany. I think we will be fine and on the list. I don’t think I will walk this year anyways :( but heart starts beating fast if I hear about the Camino opening up again, since I would be somewhere in the middle of del Norte right Now....

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (own way; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
He didn't say. It was an event of more than 1 hour duration - speech and press conference.

You can can listen to what he said here: https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2...e-crisis-coronavirus-espana-video-seo-lv.html . I recommend it. Not because it is always best to go to the primary source when there is a lack of clarity but because Pedro Sánchez speaks clearly and slowly, it is ideal for practising understanding spoken Spanish. :)

A teleconference between Sanchez and the presidents of the autonomous regions is taking place on this Sunday morning to discuss tourism. No doubt we will read more about this soon. These guys are working on Saturdays and Sundays ...!

Last edited:

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
If you do venture back into Spain and onto the caminos, do NOT expect accommodations to be like you remember them. The regulations released for albergues last week, if enforced as written, will turn albergues into either small hotels for groups, or sterile laboratories. It is hard to know if it's worth all the trouble and expense required, to serve half the number of people.

anthikes

Camino(s) past & future
2016 SJPdP > SdC
2018 Porto > SdC
2019 Sevilla > SdC
If you do venture back into Spain and onto the caminos, do NOT expect accommodations to be like you remember them. The regulations released for albergues last week, if enforced as written, will turn albergues into either small hotels for groups, or sterile laboratories. It is hard to know if it's worth all the trouble and expense required, to serve half the number of people.
It will be good for all the livelihoods that depend on camino traffic, even if the numbers are way down.

For me the albergue is only part of the experience. The highlights are often what the daytime brings and the walking itself. Albergues are somewhere to rest at night. Maybe they won't be the same but I'll embrace what they can offer and be grateful that our freedom has been restored.

katie@camino

Camino(s) past & future
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
This is excellent news! So many have written off this year but I had a feeling that Spain would open up again.
Me too :) though better wait and see what the effect of opening up is but things are definitely looking up!

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
I don’t know if Prof. Erin Bromage has received as much notoriety outside the US as he has here (and possibly in his native Australia), but his posts strike a terrific balance with scientific facts, common sense, and practicality. His post on airplane flying, though based on a trip he took before the shutdown, offers a lot of things to consider for those of us who will have to fly to get back to the camino, whenever it is that Spain welcomes us back!

Thank you for a very interesting reference, @peregrina2000 .
For us Down Under, we'll have to wait for the international travel ban to be lifted, and before then we need to assess the risk.
Prof Bromage states:
"This is important: It is our interactions with people that lead to transmission chains. The more interactions, the greater the chance of either infection or transmission. "
Hopefully, walking on the less frequented caminos would also lead to fewer interactions. I remember how in October 2018, when we walked out of Arzua, on that one day we saw as many, if not more, pilgrims as we had seen in the last week on the Norte before then.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
So there is another follow up article in El Pais today that has some more details:

It seems that:
  • The actual date is not yet set. It will be in July, but it may not be July 1st.
  • The Spanish government hopes to have the EU open at once, but think that the EU might not be able to open as a whole in July... so Spain will start talks with individual nations and agreeing one-by-one as to who can enter Spain in July. Once EU opens internally, they can enter Spain when this happens.
Then there is this article:

..that has the President saying more or less that "...if nothing goes wrong in the next few days, some regions of Spain might go back to "normal" (no state of emergency) in the next few days".

So, since Galicia is doing pretty well virus wise, maybe Monday June 1st? :)

witsendwv

Camino(s) past & future
(2015)
You will possibly be waiting a long time for a vaccine, so maybe reconsider #11? Even WHO said that we will have to live with the virus for a long time.

Obviously up to you, but I am keen to get back on the camino. Many livelihoods depend on tourists, which is why Spain are keen for visitors to return.

Let's have some faith in the Spanish government. They would not be opening their borders if it wasn't safe.
Since Italy has decided to open on 3 June, and Sicily is offering tourists incentives to travel there I suspect that many more countries will open as they would prefer that tourist dollars be spent within their borders rather than their neighbors.

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
Given the appallingly high infection rate in the UK, British travellers to Spain will be given a bell to ring as they walk along, while calling "inmundo!" as they go.
The latest WHO figures show 254000 confirmed cases in the UK and 235000 for Spain which has a much smaller population.

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese
(2019) VdP Seville to Salamanca
(2020) VdP Salamanca to Santiago
Although hopeful for all of us, if you're over 65 you still might want to wait unless there are very very few cases. The odds are that all the influx of tourists will rekindle the flames of the virus. This is a case where trusting the officials, who have a vested interest in their economy, may not be the best for some of us. But, I haven't cancelled my flight reservations yet for a trip to Europe in late September (and I'm 71). :)

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Lycian Way, Turkey
sounds like lots of hot air....

"we are ready to accept foreign tourists when it is safe to accept foreign tourists" whtever that means

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
More here:

Ivar
From a Canadian point of few, you might welcome us, but that doesn't mean we will be able to travel as our travel restrictions remain in place. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airlines-air-canada-travel-advisory-covid-19-1.5578657

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
@ivar - considering the uncertainty still around what this announcement may look like operationally, might I suggest renaming this thread to ‘Some Foreigners ...’

Rex

Pilgrim Trekker
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
Thanks for the updates Ivar. It might be a business opportunity for new albergues to be built or remodeled to meet the new post-Covid guidelines. And I guess we will plan to eat more carry-out picnic lunches on our Camino. People in my little town are increasingly “antsy” to start traveling again. It may be slow initially, but it will recover, although it will certainly look different than it did pre-Covid.
Cheers and best wishes.

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
The Antibody Test is now widely available and heavily advertised in Atlanta, but I have yet to meet or hear from anyone who has tested positive. But we all remember bizarre illnesses back in the winter. Still awaiting my AB test results with fingers crossed.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
It depends. Greece was talking about requiring people to be tested in their departure country, but they couldn't get international agreement so they've dropped it. At the end of this month they will announce the list of countries from which tourists will be permitted from 15th June. There will be opening to an additional group of countries on 1st July.
Everything is changing very fast. Governments are working out agreements internationally. So what they say now are proposals. If it becomes clear it won't work they are changing their stance.
There is a lot of speculation and we won't really know until the full details are announced.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
That's really worth reading to understand the context of Sanchez' announcement. Quote:

Sánchez’s announcement on Saturday lacked detail, but his objective was to counteract an endless stream of messages that in recent weeks have had a serious effect on the tourism sector outside of Spain. In particular, the announcement of an obligatory two-week quarantine – that is currently in effect – for any traveler arriving in Spain.
This measure was interpreted as [tourists from abroad] not being welcome in Spain, and froze the arrangements being made by major tour operators who were preparing to restart activity in the country. Sánchez’s announcement was designed to get the message across to nations whose citizens regularly vacation in Spain that the country will be ready to receive tourists this summer.
This is about the major contingent of tourists who come to Spain for their summer vacation in the summer months of July and August and about the tour operators who are getting back into action right now.

Barry Coltham

BarryCamino
Camino(s) past & future
Past: CF: Sarria to Santiago May 2017
VdlP/ Sanabres: Salamanca to Santiago May 2018
Fisterra Muxia
Thank you Ivar - really appreciate the updates - Here in South Africa we are awaiting an announcement this evening about the levels of restriction on travel and isolation - so hopefully sanity will prevail and the economies will be allowed to start working again.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The Antibody Test is now widely available and heavily advertised in Atlanta, but I have yet to meet or hear from anyone who has tested positive. But we all remember bizarre illnesses back in the winter. Still awaiting my AB test results with fingers crossed.
I had an antibody test yesterday, and will have the results in a few days. Unfortunately, the clinic where I had the test didn't know which test the lab uses, which I found annoying, because many antibody tests are unreliable.

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
Our doc & the hospital where she has privileges recommended two choices. I looked into the tests two weeks ago offered by urgent care clinics here and decided to wait for the doc & hospital to offer them. But still not sure how reliable and useful it really is on an individual basis. There is still much unknown.

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019

Canadian perspective: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airlines-air-canada-travel-advisory-covid-19-1.5578657

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 323 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 11.9%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock