• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forest Fire Status in Portugal

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Barcelos and Esposende have seen several fires pop up
The bigger one near Barcelos. As far as I know, its not close to the Camino, and they are now dealt wiht.

North of Barcelos, you'll see more fire, unless something really bad happends with strong wings, there should be no problems.

If you are nervous about the current situation, or what you see for the next kms, check with the local Firemen and tourist offices.

Hi I'm on the Camino now and just arrived in Valenca (9th). Yesterday I walked from Cassa Fernanda to Rubiaes. We heard of fires close to Rubiaes and many caught busses to Valenca from Ponte de Lima. We pushed on and placed our faith in the Portugese police to stop us if danger was ahead. I came across 1 tour group of Americans with a pro guide who were only found as far as the start of the climb then being picked up by bus. All was good until the sumit (except my legs) but once decending there was thick smoke and aircraft water bombing in the distance. I was told by farmers that the Camino was ok as the fire was under control and 3k away from our path. Still a little worried while we were still in the forest though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just noticed in the news a report about over 100 forest fires in northern Portugal and declared states of emergency and some loss of life. Does anyone in the region have more information on the impacts to the Camino routes? Thoughts and prayers are with those impacted by the fires.

We just walked from Esposende/Marinhas to Viana do Castelo today - departure from Marinhas was fine in terms of the walk, we did see some planes dropping water on fires on the other side of mountains/hills. However, the smoke got thicker as we went North - Chafe was pretty bad, and while we hoped and got some respite as we headed closer to th coast again, tonight in Viana do Costelo the smoke is thick. After this many hours exposed to it my eyes sting, my nose is getting stuffy, and there is the constant smell of smoke. We are in fact trying to determine what to do as there seem to be more fires further North.

Anyone know if there are such problems on the Spanish side of te Portuguese Coastal route? Walking another few days like today is just not tenable health wise for us unfortunately.

This needs to be bumped to the top so those talking about taking stoves might reconsider.
I agree with you @Anniesantiago . Maybe not only bumped and pegged in full view but also renamed to include Spain.
Maybe we need a whole new section:- Forest fires, risks and camping. Then the current trheads re stoves and fuel could join this thread in the new section. Plus any subsequent questions on wild camping and cooking.
Mods??

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This was in the paper (La Voz) in Santiago today...
Frightening for the folk that live there. I just edited my previous post above to suggest the fire issue gets noted by all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I may be on the Camino from the 18th August commencing from Tomar.
Q. Will it be hot all the way to Santiago? I really do not wish to take long trousers.

Hi Tomar is currently 36C.
I'd say that's hot :eek:
The good news is, it drops to 30C by the 18th :)
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in Coimbra today it has been hot from Lisboa
38 degrees today but two nights ago in Tomar was 13 degrees at night!
Make sure you have a stick there are very many aggressive dogs that bite!
Bom caminoh
Mandy

I'm in Coimbra today it has been hot from Lisboa
38 degrees today but two nights ago in Tomar was 13 degrees at night!
Make sure you have a stick there are very many aggressive dogs that bite!
Bom caminoh
Mandy

I got an information from the day before yesterday. It rained in the Barcelos area eg at Fernandas home for pilgrims.
At the moment there aren´t any forest fires on the portuguese way.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back