• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forest fires along Camino Primitivo... Plan B Option on the Camino del Norte???

irishgurrrl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2012
Camino Finisterre Oct 2012
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port) April/May 2014
[Kilimanjaro Sept 2014]
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St-Chely d'Aubrac) May 2015
[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hey folks,

I'm flying into Oviedo in a weeks time to start the Camino Primitivo. The plan is to walk to Lugo and get a bus to Santiago. Alaskadiver has just posted in the Primitivo forum threads that there are forest fires along the Primitivo at the moment with some sections closed.... News article here: http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/

I'm thinking it may be sensible to have a Plan B for obvious reasons....

Has anyone any suggestions on an alternative stretch of Camino I could do instead? I'm thinking I could hike along the Camino del Norte instead maybe. I have the guidebook but don't know much about it... I'd ideally like to walk somewhere scenic/ beautiful but keeping the stages short at around 16km (10 miles) ideally on easy to moderate terrain. In an ideal world I'd also like to avoid long road walks. The Camino France's does not appeal to me due to the crowds.

Has anyone got any suggestions for stages along the del Norte I could do bearing in mind I fly into Oviedo and out of Santiago and have about 12 to 13 days to walk....

Hoping everyone in the areas affected by the forest fires are safe!

Eilish

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey folks,

I'm flying into Oviedo in a weeks time to start the Camino Primitivo. The plan is to walk to Lugo and get a bus to Santiago. Alaskadiver has just posted in the Primitivo forum threads that there are forest fires along the Primitivo at the moment with some sections closed.... News article here: http://www.elcomercio.es/asturias/

I'm thinking it may be sensible to have a Plan B for obvious reasons....

Has anyone any suggestions on an alternative stretch of Camino I could do instead? I'm thinking I could hike along the Camino del Norte instead maybe. I have the guidebook but don't know much about it... I'd ideally like to walk somewhere scenic/ beautiful but keeping the stages short at around 16km (10 miles) ideally on easy to moderate terrain. In an ideal world I'd also like to avoid long road walks. The Camino France's does not appeal to me due to the crowds.

Has anyone got any suggestions for stages along the del Norte I could do bearing in mind I fly into Oviedo and out of Santiago and have about 12 to 13 days to walk....

Hoping everyone in the areas affected by the forest fires are safe!

Eilish

From Oviedo you might travel to Sebrayo and then follow the CN west. See the stages on Gronze.com as possibilities starting with this below.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sebrayo/gijon

Stay safe and Buen camino!

From Oviedo you might travel to Sebrayo and then follow the CN west. See the stages on Gronze.com as possibilities starting with this below.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sebrayo/gijon

Stay safe and Buen camino!

Thank you so much mspath :) It looks like s good option. I'll check bus connections along that stretch and see how far I could realistically walk in the time available. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It looks as though the fires are out. Does anyone have 'on the ground' information?

Or even better, go directly from Oviedo to Avilés. You gain one day at least and you omit the industrial zone between Gijon and Avilés. Here are some informations, though in Spanish: http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/37/camino-del-norte/etapa/21/oviedo/aviles/tipo/descripcion/

Hi Dominik - thanks for the suggestion. It looks like I should be able to do the Primitivo now as the route seems to be ok (re; fires)... Is that stage you suggest part of the del Norte or another camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back