• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forest fires in Portugal

Lucy Keenan

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Northern Route, 2017 Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra. 2018 Frances, 2018 Ingles, 2019 Portugues
Does anyone have any information about the impact of forest fires and fires an the Camino?
I start from Lisbon on 25th July and then when I get to porto walk up the coast to SdC

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks everyone. I think the Camino is far enough away.

Wow! You have to see Global Forest Watch. That's scary.

Can't help wondering how much all these fires are contributing to climate change.

Wow! You have to see Global Forest Watch. That's scary.

Can't help wondering how much all these fires are contributing to climate change.
Yes. Agree. Although looking at older posts there seem to have been fires here in and off for many years

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes. Agree. Although looking at older posts there seem to have been fires here in and off for many years

Agree Lucy.

We walked the Portugeuse in 2017 from Lisbon through to SDC.

Being Australian, I have to say that I've never seen such magnificent eucalyptus trees. They grow tall and straight and unlike here, there is no damage caused to them by insects or other predators.

Eucalyptus trees are unique to Australia in that they have adapted over millions of years to assist fire and because of that, they are generally highly flammable.

Planting such vast eucalyptus plantations that we saw in Portugal and some of Spain is just beyond belief.

Given hot summer temperatures, eucalyptus leaves with oil glands, (that's where the eucalyptus smell comes from) bark shed/ leaf litter on the ground and on a hot day you have an explosive mix just requiring a lightening strike or an errant match to start a ferocious blaze.

While eucalyptus wood is prized and valuable, it is, in my opinion, sheer lunacy to plant these magnificent trees in plantations outside of Australia.

There were terrible fires in Portugal when we walked and we absolutely feel for the people and animals / wildlife affected. I don't understand why eucalyptus is so widely planted.

Stay safe and please never walk in an eucalyptus plantation forest when fires are close.

I agree There are too many eucalyptus in Portugal and Galicia. There are also some plagues here, depending on the type of tree. Xunta de Galicia has requalified the land and now it is not possible to replant pines and eucalytus in many places, I don't know the situation in Portugal.

I agree There are too many eucalyptus in Portugal and Galicia. There are also some plagues here, depending on the type of tree. Xunta de Galicia has requalified the land and now it is not possible to replant pines and eucalytus in many places, I don't know the situation in Portugal.

Eucalyptus is an invasive species which was introduced to Portugal and Spain about three centuries ago. They kill off pretty much anything else that would normally grow in the forest. Although the trees grow quickly, they twist as they get taller so the wood is no good for construction (as was originally thought), but can be used for pulp. They smell good, however, as has been mentioned here, the sap is very flammable. :( https://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-portugal-eucalyptus-fire-20170620-story.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eucalyptus is an invasive species which was introduced to Portugal and Spain about three centuries ago. They kill off pretty much anything else that would normally grow in the forest. Although the trees grow quickly, they twist as they get taller so the wood is no good for construction (as was originally thought), but can be used for pulp. They smell good, however, as has been mentioned here, the sap is very flammable. :( https://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-portugal-eucalyptus-fire-20170620-story.html
I don't like eucalytus either but it is an important source of income in the rural.
I have some land in Galicia (1 Hectare). Most of it has been requalified as not allowed to replant pines and eucalyptus. The result is the price of my land now is much lower (half) than 5 years ago. But nevertheless I agree with the Xunta's law in order. to reduce those trees and prevent fires.

I once walked to Finisterre with a man who was a university professor with a specialization in mushrooms. He became nearly apopleptic as we walked, going on and on about how years ago there had been a huge variety of mushrooms in this area, all of which had been killed off by the eucalyptus.

My guess is that it is the universal problem that the market’s assessment of short term gains does not factor in long term costs. But I am not an economist so I could be way off base.

I rubbed my hands with the eucalipus leaf once. Just to check if the scent is stronger. Well, my hands were like burnt, with skin irritation like nettle rush for few days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some pretty significant fact-checking required here!! The first recorded entry of Eucalyptyus seeds into Spain was from Western Australia in 1863, and at that time it was mainly used for fire wood and mine shaft props. Its adoption as a major source of short fibre (pulp) was demand driven, not necessarily because of its unsuitability for other uses.

They are not necessarily invasive, but when grown as a plantation timber, they result in a monoculture. This is about the forestry practices, not about their behaviour as plant. In their native environment, they grow in a diverse environment, rarely as a monoculture.

Finally, while the whole tree is flammable, it is not the sap that is the major source of fire hazard, but the volatile fragrant oils in the leaves. This can create a beautiful but dangerous haze, such as occurs near Sydney in the Blue Mountains in NSW, so named because of that haze.

And on a minor point from an earlier post, eucalyptus are not uniquely Australian, although they are predominantly so. Their natural range includes the eastern islands in the Indonesian archipelago and New Guinea.

A useful source that answers some of the questions about the cultivation of eucalyptus in Spain can be found here.

Last edited:
Here's another tool--Portugal specific--that covers the fire situation in that country.

Kept very up to date.

It's mostly east of the Lisbon-Tomar-onward route that gets the worst of the fires.

Bom caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back