• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Forest fires in Spain

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We cannot see any smoke in Santiago, but it is close… and we are still in July!
Hi Ivar I just became a member. I'm having a little trouble navigating this site but will figure it out. I am supposed to be starting from SJPP on August 22, 2022 and I am a little concerned about the fires and whether they will still be raging and prevent passage.
Bob Gauthier
London Ontario Canada

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It has come ok here in Dublin. If I picked it up correctly, one of the fires was set off intentionally... but perhaps that is hearsay, I do not know for sure from the rapid fire delivery of the headlines.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No sure if this can be seen outside of Spain, but this was the national news last night at 21.00:

No problem watching in South Florida - USA. Understanding what is being said - well that is something entirely different. But I got the gist.

I understand from watching the various weather sites in Spain that the weather will attenuate this week. Fingers crossed that we get back to a normal seasonal pattern.

Stay safe - HYDRATE!

I’ve even heard about the wildfires happening in Spain, Portugal and France on the news here in Hawaii!

Please, everyone, stay safe and don’t put yourself in danger. Also, don’t interfere with safety workers who are fighting the fires.

I wonder if this will make fall and even winter Caminos more popular?

Hi Ivar I just became a member. I'm having a little trouble navigating this site but will figure it out. I am supposed to be starting from SJPP on August 22, 2022 and I am a little concerned about the fires and whether they will still be raging and prevent passage.
Bob Gauthier
London Ontario Canada
Thank you everyone for responding. Pray for rain!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there an app that tracks current fires in Spain? I am looking for something like what is available for Portugal (Fogos.pt)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Major fires in the Gironde which will affect pilgrims on the Tours or coastal routes in France. Mostly the coastal route, but the smoke is getting a long way north, as far as the Vienne, and is quite thick in Bordeaux.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been looking for it but can not find anything similar.

We had some rain overnight in the santiago area. But very local I think..
Hi Ivar and all!
I use Google map with fire filter on, it don’t show all of the fire I think. We are in Sahagun now and heading to Leon ext days. Maybe bus or train to Santiago because we don’t have time to finish it this time.
Samin 🥺

We cannot see any smoke in Santiago, but it is close… and we are still in July!
I start my camino from SJPP on Aug 28. What's the fire situation from Pamplona to Santiago now? I read that Galicia and Leon both have heavy fires in the area. Is the entire route open now from SJPP to Santiago?

I think this map shows it well…

There are some key points that are difficult now… Galicia has “cold" weather today (max 23c), but it is heating up again tomorrow. The thing with fires as well is that it changes fast... so it is difficult to get up-to-date info on this. But the map above is a good starting point.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The train is now running again by the way..

How ironic - I bought a bus ticket Santiago-Madrid yesterday instead of the train when I heard that the trains were suspended. I am on the bus now. The train takes like 4 hours to Madrid, the bus 8... Oh well, people's safety is the most important thing after all. I miss my comfy train though :(

Here's a Spanish one that may prove helpful--this was about the best I could find...

Edited 20/7: the former link was to a daily page and it expired.

You might want to check the links on this page, which gives you daily updates...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We just made a rest stop in Ponferrada. Unless there is another explanation, I would say I could smell smoke in the air at the bus station.
I have no difficulty believing your nose is telling the truth. Sorry your train journey was not possible given you had bought the bus ticket. Yes, less comfortable than a train. However, look at what is happening in London area¡ trains unable to keep to times due to bucking rails... I wish you safe and happy landings,

Hello! My husband and I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago, starting this weekend. I’m wondering if anyone is aware if the wildfires are affecting (or are expected to affect) that portion of the route? I apologize if this has been asked and answered!

Buen Camino!

We are looking at booking a short camino ( Irun to Bilbao, or nearby) for early August. Is the del Norte free from wildfires currently? I understand Navarre is having terrible issues so I'm wondering if many pilgrims have moved from the Frances and headed north for the safer del Norte.

Are there any pilgrims currently on the route that might be willing to let us know if there are places in the albergues on the del Norte, or if there are any other issues?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! My husband and I will be walking from Sarria to Santiago, starting this weekend. I’m wondering if anyone is aware if the wildfires are affecting (or are expected to affect) that portion of the route? I apologize if this has been asked and answered!

Buen Camino!

From clicking at the map of Galicia in @ivar's post above it seems there was a fire near Palas de Rei (which is on your route) but it is under control.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hopefully not. I have changed my plans to finish the VdlP and moved to the Norte. Just too many fire zones on the VdlP.

Have been reading about the fires affecting this route. Aware that Tabara was evacuated but don’t have an update or any idea whether other areas of this Camino affected. Am due to arrive with two friends in Granja on Sunday 24 with overnight there before starting Camino on Monday 25. Does anyone have up to date information on the situation? We are flying into Madrid on Sunday and currently considering other possible routes instead but would prefer the Sanabres if safe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The situation on the Camino Sanabrés around Tábara has improved and the Camino there is doable again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does anyone have the latest on fire conditions near the Primortivo and in Portugal north of Porto

Does anyone have the latest on fire conditions near the Primortivo and in Portugal north of Porto
From Lugo: no problemen on Primitivo as far as I know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Members may be relieved to note that todays Copernicus report [link above] shows no active fires in Spain. There is an active fire north-east of Vila Real in Portugal but not on any Caminho route that I am aware of (@jungleboy?).

Those planning a Camino in the next few weeks will no doubt be aware that wild-fires can and do break out without notice and are more often caused by carelessness rather than malicious intent. Be careful out there.

Moderator note: This EC website is the best source of live information we have found but it is clunky, and I suspect difficult to use on a 'phone. Feedback will be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any current updates on fire alerts or closures on the Camino Primitivo? Planning to start in a few weeks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.