• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forgot doctors prescriptions; what's best way to have them sent?

Debbye Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
May 1, 2017
Well I'm sitting in airport and realized I forgot the prescriptions my doctor wrote for me to get refills along the way. does anyone know the best way I can have them sent from the US and to where? Fax? Fed-x? I'm so mad at myself.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first chance you get, stop into a Spanish pharmacia (you'll trip over them anywhere in Spain (i.e. the big green cross)). Show them the list of prescriptions that you need and they'll quickly tell you whether or not you need a prescription or whether it can be bought over the counter. As stated before, many of the items that are prescriptions in the US are over the counter (and much cheaper) in Spain.

You may have a problem even if the prescription is written in the US. I joined a group called IAMAT ( www.iamat.org ). You can do that online. They have the listings and resources to get you to a doctor in Spain who could both speaks English and could write whatever prescriptions you need. It's cheap (free the first year and can be renewed with a donation) and I've used them a couple of times in various places around the world (including Spain) to get some medical advice or prescription drugs. They respond to questions via email as well as put you in touch with a doctor that you can talk to voice to voice if needed. But as I said, I wouldn't worry too much until you talk to a pharmacist and find out if any problems exist with your specific drugs.

As someone already said many medicines are available over the counter in Spain. I forgot all of diabetic ones last year, including statins, and got them over the counter at the Madrid airport pharmacy - very reasonable priced as well. Had no problem at all even though they couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Spanish. I had a copy of prescriptions on my phone along with passport and bank details and that sufficed. Enjoy your Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.