• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forgotten Female Explorers

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
This current BBC reportage follows the steps of history's forgotten female explorers.... Intrepid might be their motto.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alexandra David-Neel; Freya Stark; Dervla Murphy; Nan Shepherd; Jan Morris; Celia Fiennes: forgotten? Not in this house! And they’re just the ones still in print.
My gran walked from Guernica, after the bombing, to La Rochelle. Got a lift in a fishing boat to Guernsey and another back to Hamble. She’d picked up enough Basque to be able to translate for the pregnant women in the internment camp at Aldermoor. Unfortunately she couldn’t read or write so we’ll never find that tale on Amazon.
I guess it’s my naivety but I find it bewildering that these authors aren’t on every travelers bookshelves.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of any of these courageous women, @Tincatinker, but my head is often in the sand. I may add them to my Camino book collection if available on Amazon...I have read "Guernica" and "The history of the Basque people".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd never heard of any of these courageous women, @Tincatinker, but my head is often in the sand. I may add them to my Camino book collection if available on Amazon...I have read "Guernica" most of us and "The history of the Basque people".
Chrissy, I don’t recall that any of’em ever did Camino. But they went places and did stuff that most of us wouldn’t even dream of. And then they went and did something more. Read Murphy’s “Full Tilt” or Stark’s “The Valleys of the Assassins” and compare the challenge of booking a bed at Orisson. Fiennes traveled England on horseback between 1680 & 1690(?) when “even the mad passed not abroad”. It might be a bit complicated getting through Madrid to Roncesvalles just now. There aren’t any ships or Captains licensed to transport Pilgrims from my home port of Shoreham anymore but my opportunities for vicarious travel are even wider than the sea girt horizon my library grants me

I don’t recall that any of’em ever did Camino. But they went places and did stuff that most of us wouldn’t even dream of. And then they went and did something more.
My favorite books are non-fiction stories of adventure, overcoming adversity, and survival...all wrapped up into one. I will write the titles/authors down and see what I can find. Thanks, Tincatinker!

Beautiful, thank you @mspath.
Very inspiring, each and every one.
I read Alexandra David-Neel before I first went to Ladakh, and after I returned I had a whole new level of respect for what she faced. Still to this day it can be a challenge to walk there.

I am surprised the article does not mention Isabella Bird, who predated many of the women mentioned in the article.
Here are some of my favorites of her accounts:
Six Months in the Sandwich Islands, amongst the Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes (1874)
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains (1879)
Among the Tibetans (1894)

At home she was frail and often ill. On the road, she was anything but.
She married after some astonishing solo journeys. Eventually widowed, she upped her game:
Feeling that her earlier travels had been hopelessly dilettante, Bird studied medicine and resolved to travel as a missionary. Despite being nearly 60 years of age, she set off for India.
Dilettante? Far from it. If she was a dilettante, I don't know what any of us is, but not very adventurous by comparison. We've all gotten a bit soft.

On another level of challenge altogether is the account of Imiji Getsul, an English novice at Rizong Monastery in Ladakh in the early 1960s. I read it and was astonished enough, knowing the place myself. But more reading revealed that he was actually transgender, which under the circumstances was another level of courage altogether.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Beautiful, thank you @mspath.
Very inspiring, each and every one.
I read Alexandra David-Neel before I first went to Ladakh, and after I returned I had a whole new level of respect for what she faced. Still to this day it can be a challenge to walk there.

I am surprised the article does not mention Isabella Bird, who predated many of the women mentioned in the article.
Here are some of my favorites of her accounts:
Six Months in the Sandwich Islands, amongst the Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes (1874)
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains (1879)
Among the Tibetans (1894)

At home she was frail and often ill. On the road, she was anything but.
She married after some astonishing solo journeys. Eventually widowed, she upped her game:

Dilettante? Far from it. If she was a dilettante, I don't know what any of us is, but not very adventurous by comparison. We've all gotten a bit soft.

On another level of challenge altogether is the account of Imiji Getsul, an English novice at Rizong Monastery in Ladakh in the early 1960s. I read it and was astonished enough, knowing the place myself. But more reading revealed that he was actually transgender, which under the circumstances was another level of courage altogether.
VN,
Wow! Thanks for citing these additional journeys to read and ponder with so many levels of courage.

Last edited:
And on the higher road, there was Beryl Markham, an adventurer on many levels, who chronicled her solo flight from Abington, England, to North America in a single engine plane in her book West With The Night. She was the first person to fly the Europe to N.A. route east to west (harder than Lindbergh’s west to east trip). Remarkable woman and fascinating book.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe I can find these amazing books online...right "up my alley"!
Many of these books are on National Geographic’s 100 greatest adventure books. We’ll worth downloading the list for reference. I’ve been reading and collecting them for years. Their are many other lists to chose from as well..Outside, etc. The books never get old, just the reader’s ability to try their adventure.

Fascinating thread. Makes me want to learn more about these amazing women.
On the same topic, have people heard of Margery Kempe? She was an English Mystic, 1373-1438, who travelled on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, Rome and Santiago in the 15th Century. There is a plaque to her in Siguerio on the Camino Ingles.

Attachments

• Margery Kempe.jpg
    Margery Kempe.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Fascinating thread. Makes me want to learn more about these amazing women.
On the same topic, have people heard of Margery Kempe? She was an English Mystic, 1373-1438, who travelled on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, Rome and Santiago in the 15th Century. There is a plaque to her in Siguerio on the Camino Ingles.
For more on Margery Kempe read this British Library account of her autobiography

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back