• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fork in the road

DACamino

Time of past OR future Camino
09/08/18
In the wise pilgrim guide I have it shows a fork in the path just after Sahagun. The green route goes right to Cazadilla, the left is the official route to Bercianos. Both trails converge later towards Mansilla. The green route is supposed to be more scenic. Can anyone who has passed this way give any guidance as to which is more preferred?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes we took this by accident. If you think the walk out of Carrion de Condes is tediuos on that roman road, this one was way worse.
No water, ploughed fields, no villages until Reliegos. I wouldnt do it again. ever. We were just lucky to meet a Camino Angel on a bicycle who gave us water and directions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Went the Cazadilla in July it was a wasteland, like a road under construction, maybe the heat got to us but it was open to the elements was it worth it ? in my eyes no. Did not see any Roman remains but we nearly left behind two Irish mens exhausted bodies for future archaeologists to ponder over. :(:(

No water, ploughed fields, no villages until Reliegos. I wouldnt do it again. ever. We were just lucky to meet a Camino Angel on a bicycle who gave us water and directions.
Not true. After the fork if you veer to the right and over the highway there are two villages: Calzada del Coto just after the fork and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Both with shop, bars, restaurants and albergue in each of them.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... Did not see any Roman remains but we nearly left behind two Irish mens exhausted bodies for future archaeologists to ponder over. :(:(
The right hand option is on former Roman road, rebuild and resurfaced over the centuries like most of the highways are. But in attached photo (just before turn off for Reliegos) you can see fenced area where under the certain amount of soil is original Roman road called Via Aquitana:

0744-remains of Via Aquitana before Reliegos (Sahagun-Reliegos, 06.06.2011).jpg

Sorry kinky ! Anamiri is on the ball with this one, this was one of those "Why are we doing this" moments. I agree totally with Anamiri !
We stayed in Cazadilla de Los Hermanillos it was just O.K even though we stayed in great accommodation at the top of town Casa Cura Rural ? everyone raves about it.
We had a foot bath in the village old wash house it was great and different.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not true. After the fork if you veer to the right and over the highway there are two villages: Calzada del Coto just after the fork and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Both with shop, bars, restaurants and albergue in each of them.
Yes we had breakfast at Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Saw the sign and wondered how we'd got there. (it was an accident, we weren't paying enough attention and followed some other pilgrims). The walk up to that part was pleasant, it was the roman road afterwards that did me in. Ran out of water, got sunburnt, thought it would never end.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love it or hate it. De gustibus non disputandem...

If you need humanity and stimulation, feel free to walk on the endless and soul-less senda beside a road.
If you want to take the road less traveled, and enjoy solitude and open spaces, go via Calzadiila de los Hermanillos and along the Via Aquitana.

It's not a wasteland, as some have implied, not at all. But from Calzadilla to Reliegos, it's true there are no towns: a bit like the section after Carrion de los Condes, and the same kind of distance.
I think it's clear which I prefer.:cool:

And the CR that @ was referring to is Casa el Cura. It's a special place to stay.Via Aquitana.JPGVia Aquitana (2).JPGVia Aquitana (3).JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the wise pilgrim guide I have it shows a fork in the path just after Sahagun. The green route goes right to Cazadilla, the left is the official route to Bercianos. Both trails converge later towards Mansilla. The green route is supposed to be more scenic. Can anyone who has passed this way give any guidance as to which is more preferred?
I like the Calzadilla route, though I confess it can sometimes seem longer than it is.
The first time I walked it was also the first time I walked two hours on the Camino without seeing a soul. Were it not for the regular way markers, I’d have been convinced that I had geographically misplaced myself!
As it was, with no one to disturb, I cranked up the Boss and Mr Springsteen and I enjoyed a cracking stride to The wonderful Albergue Via Trajana in Calzadilla. Half an hour later, as I was relaxing on the terrace with the obligatory cerveza, my Camino family began appearing over the horizon and the world was again a happy place...

Also if I remember correctly there is an out door museum at C.de Los Hermanillos. The local hospitalero ( when I was there in 2012) takes the pilgrims there each evening for a history lesson. Great experience ....he only spoke Spanish, but there was a German pilgrim who was bilingual and translated into German (my mother tongue)...in turn I translated into English and French. Such fond memories of what was going to be my last day on the Camino without injury. Buthe that's anot her story.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd love to be on one of those boring roads this morning as I head to work, wondering if I'll ever be able to come back! Buen Camino!
Then head for one of the southern Caminos (Serrana, Augusta, Plata, Levante, Sanabres, Lana etc.) ;)

Yes we took this by accident. If you think the walk out of Carrion de Condes is tediuos on that roman road, this one was way worse.
That trek has no food water and few people but then there are pictures like this to be had.

Attachments

• 94DD0E67-09D2-4228-AF9C-C1474EB1E4F2.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 26
  • C43D77EF-9211-4830-9C7C-1D4A4145926A.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 19
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That trek has no food water and few people but then there are pictures like this to be had.
Again - not true at all!
Please read the whole thread, not just the first two posts. And please don't give false info to potential walkers on the right hand side route if you don't know what you are talking about.

I am told that I am a bit different from most. When I find a fork in the road, I start looking for the spoon.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back