• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Form from the pilgrims office

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I had a nice visit from a pilgrim that just finished his Camino now from Vezelay (sorry, forgot his username!)

He just got his Compostela. He did not have a modern mobile phone, so he could not scan the QR code... so he was asked to fill out this form.

Posting it here for those curious to see what it looks like.

form.jpg

These QR codes must be related to the digital compostela that was talked about a few moths ago, no?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
These QR codes must be related to the digital compostela that was talked about a few moths ago, no?
Since you asked ☺️. My strong guess is that it has nothing to do with the digital credential which isn't operational yet but with the option of entering one's details for the Compostela online on the Oficina's website instead of in paper form. See screenshots below. I've posted the Spanish version because the translations into some of the other languages available is atrocious and even the interface as such could do with a bit more usability. I don't say this lightly.

Register:
Register individuals.jpg
Individual form:
Alta individual.jpg

So, with a little effort and some keyboard/mouse skills the virtual Caminante (Virtual:
not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
) can complete both a virtual camino (Virtual: almost or nearly as described, but not completely or according to strict definition.) and an on-line form to claim a virtual Compostella. Emailed to a mail-box near you :)

Which only leaves us with the question: Is the virtual Pilgrim a virtuous Pilgrim (Virtuous: having or showing high moral standards.)

Its raining, hard, I can't get on with the gardening. Virtual gardening will only produce virtual vegetables.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes that QR code business is a bit of a palaver but it can done - even by me. The point to remember is that doing the form on your phone only tells the pilgrim office the overall numbers, for instance that do it for religious reasons only, where you come from, by foot or by bike, nationality etc. When you fill it in you then, either a few minutes later or several minutes later, receive a text message or email saying your details have been collected. At that point you show this message on your phone to the bloke at the door and he gives you the numbered piece of paper, then you hang around waving this until your number comes up then he lets you in so you can queue in the corridor. They are pretty ruthless about social distancing and wearing a mask - I'm delighted to say! When you go to the desk you then need to say that you do/do not want a compostela, you do/do not want a certificate of distance, or you want not a compostela but the certificate of visiting the cathedral (which some people want as they are definitely not religious). And if you want the Vicarie Pro on your compostela you need to ask for it at the desk.
It's a pretty simple system with, I suspect, some high-powered computer wizardry behind it. It works well but it's a lot easier if you are helped by someone who has done it before.

That form (posted by Ivar) is the same one we used to fill out at the counter in the pilgrims office. Which means it’s still possible to do things outside the virtual world. Good to know. 😊

When you fill it in you then, either a few minutes later or several minutes later, receive a text message or email saying your details have been collected. At that point you show this message on your phone to the bloke at the door and he gives you the numbered piece of paper, then you hang around waving this until your number comes up then he lets you in so you can queue in the corridor.
Thanks for this confirmation and explanation from someone, I guess ☺️, who has been there very recently and did this very recently!

We saw photos of these "numbered pieces of paper" last year when this was introduced ... more or less a year ago, if I remember correctly. At that point in time, nobody knew that there would be no need for savvy options to manage huge crowds of pilgrims waiting for their Compostelas in 2020 ...

My guess is that the QR codes come in twice: first when you read a code that leads you to the digital form to fill in on your phone and secondly, there is a QR code on the piece of paper that would tell you in real time when you can collect your Compostela?

I resisted installing a QR reader on my iPhone for quite some time but I am making use of it more and more now.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've posted the Spanish version because the translations into some of the other languages available is atrocious and even the interface as such could do with a bit more usability. I don't say this lightly.
Maybe I should explain. Here are the screenshots for Spanish, English, and French. I am happy to be corrected but I understand Alta individual to mean Individual application form which makes sense because you are filling out the form and apply for a Compostela. It has been translated into English as Create a group and into French as Go backwards (Revenir en arrière). 😵

Alta individual.jpgCreate a group.jpgRevenir en arriere.jpg

Well, that was fun ☺️.

A QR code can be nothing else than the address of a website, just written in black and white dots instead of letters, numbers and other signs.

Instead of copying a complicated web address by eye and fingers from a piece of paper or from a poster onto your phone screen, like the one for the form to fill in when you want to ask for a Compostela - https://catedral.df-server.info/agencias/Individuo.aspx?lang=2 - you just scan the QR code and it takes you straight to the form.

The advantage of a digital form over a paper form is of course that the staff at the Pilgrims Office have a lot less manual work to do for their monthly statistics. You may also help to save trees. 347,578 pilgrims filled in such a paper form in 2019. Just imagine: 350,000 pieces of paper annually no longer needed to produce, to print, to fill in and to destroy or to recycle. ☺️

Try it! I hope this demystifies things a bit ... and we have nothing better to do camino wise anyway ...

QR form for Compostela.jpg

PS: The above code will take you to the Spanish version of the form. You can then press Volver (back) and choose another language version of the form.

Last edited:
Which only leaves us with the question: Is the virtual Pilgrim a virtuous Pilgrim (Virtuous: having or showing high moral standards.)

Its raining, hard, I can't get on with the gardening. Virtual gardening will only produce virtual vegetables.
I can't comment on the virtuous or other moral standards of pilgrims, or Gardeners but down here in our South Pacific bubble it is prime planting season so I made like a peasant and put in my tomatoes and corn this weekend... I am guessing that my wait for the crop to come in will be shorter and more productive then any form fillers this year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, with a little effort and some keyboard/mouse skills the virtual Caminante (Virtual:
not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
) can complete both a virtual camino (Virtual: almost or nearly as described, but not completely or according to strict definition.) and an on-line form to claim a virtual Compostella. Emailed to a mail-box near you :)

I believe this just simplifies (for the Pilgrim Office) the data collection, shifting the data entry from the Pilgrim Office employee/volunteer to the pilgrim. Pilgrims are still required to present their credencial in the Pilgrim Office for verification before the Compostela is issued. I don't believe this allows one to document a virtual Camino for a virtual Compostela. You'll have to wait for that.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back