• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forming Connections on the Camino

AmyLaing

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 (Feb-Apr) Camino Francés
Hi,
My name is Amy, I am a 15 year old Australian and last year I walked the Camino Francés with my family of seven. At school I have to write an inspiring speech, including the concept of "relationships", and I want to write about how on the Camino it was so easy to get along with others, how easy it was to form immediate connections with people who were virtually strangers. On my pilgrimage I felt as though there was a special, unique way everyone was able to connect with eachother.

When we did our pilgrimage we were able to interact with countless people and it was as if an immediate connection was formed. However, I'm struggling to express why everyone seemed to get along so well. It would be a huge help if anyone would be willing to share what they believe. Thank you for any ideas.

Buen Camino,
Amy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,
My name is Amy, I am a 15 year old Australian and last year I walked the Camino Francés with my family of seven. At school I have to write an inspiring speech, including the concept of "relationships", and I want to write about how on the Camino it was so easy to get along with others, how easy it was to form immediate connections with people who were virtually strangers. On my pilgrimage I felt as though there was a special, unique way everyone was able to connect with eachother.

When we did our pilgrimage we were able to interact with countless people and it was as if an immediate connection was formed. However, I'm struggling to express why everyone seemed to get along so well. It would be a huge help if anyone would be willing to share what they believe. Thank you for any ideas.

Buen Camino,
Amy
Hi Amy,
My believe is that most people that walk the Camino share a goal to go to Santiago de Compostela in one way or the other.

Wish you well, Peter.

A few thoughts-- Yes, we share a goal. But there is also an openness on many (most) pilgrims part to kindness and to help others on their Way. We are out of usual worries that fill our head and heart (for me-- work, house work, chores to do, marital relationship, money worries), and that gives us time to look and be aware of others and everything around us.

There is also no chance or need to hoard anything. If there is extra food for dinner, you can't take it with you for tomorrow,so you look to see if any one is hungry. If you find an item on the road that was dropped by another pilgrim, you hand it to the person working at the next albergue for them to give it to some one who can use it.

Right-- well, I'm off to do chores here at home. ;) Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it is easier to connect and start conversations because we have so many things in common - where we have been and how things are. We share a common story which helps us find places to share from. From this we have a reasonable sense of what others have probably experienced. All that, and the rhythm of the walking, leads us into a quiet easy companionship where words are often unnecessary.

Hi Amy,

IMO, if people belive they share a bond of some sort, it predisposes them to getting along with each other. If that bond is the sharing of a 'hardship' then I think the bond is stronger. Walking the Camino can be physically demanding and perhaps may be considered a 'hardship'. But when you get a group of people in close proximity, doing the same demanding task that is not a part of their normal routine, you then have a situation that encourages empathy between the people engaged in the task. If you see someone struggling with language, blisters, insufficient water, sitting by the wayside resting or whatever, you can very quickly feel what they are feeling. Even if they are just walking up a hill and struggling you know what they are going through. If you can easily feel what someone else is feeling then speaking to that someone or offering help to them is a very easy and natural thing to do. Or put simply, if we can see ourselves in the other person it is very easy to engage with them; both you and they feel the connection.

Aidan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Buen Camino,
Amy

Dear Amy:

I am 53 years old and I walked the Camino Frances in 2015. I formed life long friendships with 6 Aussies and 2 Americans

We talk and we have visited each other

This is what I believe and what I experienced. I know some will disagree but for MY Camino, here are my thoughts.

1)
I firmly believe that the Camino is unique because when you meet people, you meet them on "open ground". We are all simply just pilgrims with a pack and a desire to walk. We don't meet doctors, lawyers, wealthy, poor etc, we meet pilgrims. All those other things can be discovered through getting to know people and chatting with them. We all ache, we all share Albergues, and we all share the desire to walk the Camino first and foremost. We don't rule out people prior to chatting based upon those things.

2)
I learned how easy it was to be kind to people. I met some people I didn't care for and others I did care for. In saying that, being kind to all is easy. I met one person I didn't like much but in getting to know them and walk with them, I developed respect and kindness for them. The Camino is a great place to do that and much more easy than in my home city. I recall how pilgrims stopped to help others with blisters etc and were just being kind. Our planet should learn that lesson as a whole. I think the Spirit of walking the Camino allows for much more kindness than we know.

3)
There was great diversity in ethnicity, religious beliefs, agism, and Socio- Economic status. None of it mattered ! Our common goal was to finish and my mind was much more open to difference than when I was at home. I have kept that open mind now that I am home. Maybe it was the "pilgrimage" part that allowed for that? Different people sharing a common goal in spite of different beliefs

Good Luck with your paper!!

Dan

Hi Amy and welcome to the Forum. How amazing to have walked the Camino at 14. I agree with @Kanga that you express yourself very well.

I also echo the former posts in that on Camino (and on sometimes other long endurance walks around the world) there is a shared goal and purpose. We find ourselves all companions on the Way and become aware that we depend on others in order to reach our destination (Santiago) - for shelter, food, water/wine, the yellow direction arrows and help if we find ourselves in need. Many pilgrims also bring a certain spiritual intent to their journey and, freed from the demands of their everyday lives, have a greater capacity and energy to engage with strangers. Past experiences are irrelevant and people tend to be more available to the opportunities of the present moment. We see each other as fellow travellers and out of this a deep companionship is quickly formed.

Sometimes it can also help to look at the same topic from another angle. Take a moment and ask yourself why it is so much more difficult to form these immediate connections in your 'home' environment. What was/is so different about the Camino that all our usual defences and barriers tend to fall so easily away.

Good luck with your research and please, if you feel comfortable enough, post your speech here when you've finished.

I'd add some factors (trying to think about the issue with a "sociological" perspective).
1. Connection/ disconnection. Yes, after a few days you feel disconnected from your usual net of relationships (unless if you are glued to your e-gadgets, I suppose). And, even if for some time being alone is a good experience, we naturally tend to form new relationships.
* Novelty. It is really refreshing to meet people that does not have preconcepts about you.
* Diversity, In the Camino, there are people with very diverse nationalities, cultures and personal experiences. It is fascinating.
* Good feeling. Walkers tend to be in a good mood, open and sociable. It is social experience in one ot its best versions.
* Convenience. Contrary to our usual hectic life we have lots of spare time. There is not much to do after you arrive at the albegue, frequently in tiny places. And there is an easy an obvious topic to start a talk.
* Maybe I am a bit cynical here, but the "no permanent risks" is also a factor to consider. People we meet can be interesting, just fine, or plainly annoying. A new relationship in our daily life can be great, or become a real nuisance. But friendships in the Camino stay in the Camino, unless you decide otherwise.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with the thoughts already posted but want to offer one more possibility.

All of us on the Camino have been stripped of our "regular" daily lives. No stress of settling arguments between siblings. No overtime demands by your boss. No hour long traffic jam. No midnight calls from a drunk friend.

Being freed of the multitude of stressors gives the heart space to open
Nanc

Many previous posters wrote what I agree with but just want to add one more perspective. That may be a bit more personal than others. Camino was such a beauty for me, both externaly as internally, and I was literary in great need to share that with someone. I'm usually not the person seeking for company but this changed me somehow. At least on the Camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

Buen Camino,
Amy
I think that bonds become swiftly strong when we are stripped of what in “normal” life defines us – our jobs, cars, houses, possessions, clothes, accents. With none of the factors that cause us, even unconsciously, to judge, we relate to the other within the moment, and intensely. To me this is a foretaste of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Commonality.
Common goal, common joy, common suffering, common path, common needs, along with the simplicity of the journey.
I, like many others, describe it as a gentle flowing river of humanity. Sometimes swollen, sometimes a trickle, but inexorably flowing and carrying the grateful pilgrims.
I think it is the simplicity that everyone longs for when they return to the normal world.
The Camino is the hardest thing I've ever tried to explain to others.
You're doing fine, Amy. Don't stop.

* Good feeling. Walkers tend to be in a good mood, open and sociable. It is social experience in one ot its best versions.
Amy,

Felipe said it best. My main factor for everyone being able to "connect" on the camino is that
everyone is happy to be there.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

Buen Camino,
Amy
Hi Amy,
I've walked the Camino three times and this relationship ease you've identified is part of the reason I go back.
I think others have mentioned that we all have a common purpose, and that's true. But on the Camino, I think we are also all walking in each others' shoes: we already understand something of what each person we meet is feeling, because we are feeling it ourselves. We know we - and those we meet - are very likely tired, sore, happy, exhilarated, relaxed, blistered all at the same time, and that we all share the same empathy.
Of course, this is a generalisation, but I think it's what we have in common on Camino that makes us even more comfortable than usual to explore and build connections with everyone we meet.
Just my thoughts. Good luck with your project - I wonder if you would think about posting the finished product...I know I'd love to read it!
Deb

For me (who usually walk with my son and husband) an important point is that the Camino each time teaches us how unimportant most things in our daily lives are. On the Camino, the only things that are important is putting one foot in front of the other, what are we having for lunch, and who are these people we're walking with - whether they're family members or other people we meet on the way.

We're still in touch with many people from our different Caminos, from many different countries.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been reading the book Love 2.0 by Dr. Barbara Fredricksen, and her thesis is that, in positive situations, when we make eye contact, smile, and especially when we add touch - a handshake, a hug, or even a pat on the arm - we are experiencing micromoments of connection.
I realized that she was describing what happens on the Camino. We create micromoments of connection as we pass another pilgrim or a local, look them in the eye, smile, and say Buen Camino, and when we raise our glass of cerveza or vino tinto, look someone in the eye, and say Cheers! An even stronger connection occurs if we hug someone when we meet or when we depart. I think all these micromoments of connection create a sense of well-being and make it easy to care for and about others we meet along the way.

Such connections are gestures of our shared humanity. Although I usually walked alone on the camino I hardly ever felt lonely. Much of each day was spent in a chaotic mental mix of personal thanksgiving, worry over the weather or my gut, imagined renovation/restoration of a multitude of wayside structures and, the far more social act of simply waving to those that passed by. These included other pilgrims, of course, but also dog walkers, police, bikers, farmers and especially lorry drivers. Such waves exchanged were silent gestures of our shared existence coming together for a moment in time.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

Buen Camino,
Amy
This is an idea I got from a French Canadian named Francois. Three things: People feel safe on the Camino. Nothing bad seems to happen
Second. People on the Camino have their needs met, basic shelter and food. Third, despite multiple countries and languages, people get along. They find ways to communicate and they help each other out. Sort of like Peace on Earth! Everyone walking is a part of something bigger than themselves...

I don't have anything extra to add. Lots have already covered the topics and things I'd already have thought of.
I too would also love to read the speech you finally made.
It was great to read through this thread and reconnect with some thoughts and ideas and learn of other people's perspective too.
Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
Thank you again for your ideas, here is my finished product. Please understand it wasn't a speech focusing on the Camino as I had a certain marking criteria to follow. :)

Relationships are crucial for development and have been proven to contribute to long, healthy, happy lives. The University of Minnesota compares the health risks from being alone or isolated to the risks associated with health issues such as: cigarette smoking, blood pressure, and obesity. Therefore, the significance of building connections must not be overlooked.

When you picture a relationship what do you see? Is it intimacy between two people? A family growing closer? A group of friends interacting? A relationship is not only a connection between family and friends but is characterised by connecting with people regardless of association.

The Camino de Santiago or the Way of Saint James is a pilgrimage walking through Saint Jean Pied de Port in France, across northern Spain to reach Santiago de Compostela. Last year my family and I were lucky enough to do the pilgrimage. This took a little less than two months and overall we walked approximately 780km.

This trip was one of the most amazing things I have ever done and the aspect of being able to form relationships with people from all around the world made it even better. But what is it about these types of environments that makes it possible for people to build connections with each other?

Empathy- the ability to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes- enables connections with others to become a sense of mutual understanding. It is found that being able to relate your own experiences to another’s gives you a greater sense of appreciation for their experiences. Walking in each other’s shoes gives us insight as to how each individual is feeling because we can relate to their progressing journey. This was particularly effective during my pilgrimage because when interacting with the other pilgrims, I was able to relate to how they were feeling. We can comprehend that those we’re meeting are very likely tired, sore, happy or elated, and not only within environments such as pilgrimages we can bring this into practice in the outside world. Being freed of the multitude of the stresses of everyday life allows us to open up to others.

One of the best things about going on the pilgrimage was the opportunity to meet people on “open ground”. This meant that no one was stereotyped based on their social status, ethnicity or religion – we were all treated as equals. Each individual was considered a simple pilgrim, just walking to reach our destinations. We didn’t necessarily endure the same experiences as each other but we did have similar journeys. My favourite interpretation of the symbol of the walk is that each line of the shell represents the path of a pilgrim, and no matter our differences, our paths will eventually meet and we will all hopefully reach our shared destinations. This indicates that despite our many differences we can push past the stereotypes to form connections and develop relationships with people coming from all different parts of the world

A ‘right’ relationship occurs when in any environment under any circumstance you can interact with another and cooperate. A right relationship doesn’t base people off their social status, religion or ethnicity. What makes a relationship work is having two people able to interact comfortably with each other despite their differences.

People of the younger generation must develop empathy towards others in order to sustain relationships and whilst the complexity of our lives can overwhelm the ability to form connections, we must work for our relationships to function. Whether the relationship is one based off family, friends, loved ones or even strangers, all people living in today’s society should endeavour to build connections.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Really well done Amy. I'm impressed. You are the perfect example how education is not limited to a classic schooling only . Seems your Camino brought you already great insights.
Congrats again. Don't think my 15 year ( back in those early eighties ;) ) old me could have written such a quality essay.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you so much for posting your speech, Amy.

It's incredibly inspiring to read something this heartfelt, thoughtful and mature from one so young (and yes, I can say that as I am in my 60s!). Your parents must be very proud.

If you have the time and inclination, do post here on the Forum every now and again. It would be wonderful to follow your onward journey from this first Camino.

In the meantime, don't stop walking and definitely don't stop writing!

An old man (dead since many years) once taught me a lesson:

He would always reach out his hand to greet people, old friends as well as new ones. He told me, when I asked why:

"All my life I have reached out my hand to people to show that I do not carry weapons or want to harm them (that is the ancient meaning and custom of reaching out an open hand). It has never gotten me any enemies, but it has gotten me a lot of new friends: It is difficult for people to become enemies with someone who reach out a hand to them".

Wise man. I have since followed his advice. It works.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back