• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Addiction

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
I may be beyond help as I am consistently checking my iPhone for any unread entries from Camino de Santiago forum members. Regardless of the route, topic or question, I am always hungry for news, advice, opinions. questions and humor that is readily available regardless of time of day.
Before breakfast or just before bed, I read all entries. Help me understand what has happened to my old priorities and why this app has me hooked?

Am I alone?
Is there a remedy?
Who can we blame? :D

Honestly this app is well designed and easy to utilize....

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understand your addiction to this app. I'm just back from walking estella to Santo Domingo ... My first ever walk on the camino and I'm looking forward to getting back but in the meantime I have to satisfied with reading others experiences and queries;-) it's camino addiction which is satisfied by this forums wide ranging topics.

I too am addicted to this forum,

I am using Tapatalk application which has a few flaws.

Has anyone used both the forum app and Tapatalk ? Which in your opinion is better

Thanks
Frank

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi my name is Keryn and I am a forum app- oholic :wink:
I have not completed a Camino as yet!! I commence the Frances in May. Soooo excited :grin:
have never posted but have used the forum to help me prepare, a big thanks to you constant posters I have learnt much!!

It's the first thing I do when I wake up! (Perhaps after checking mail...... )
Karin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think, for me, the forum addiction is a lot about not appreciating my present now fully and thus dreaming and planning for the future...

These days I am in the middle of writing my thesis and thus spend a fair amount of time on this forum and dreaming about being back on the camino....

someone once said that if you have one leg in the past and one in the future you are peeing on the present, which I find is tru. Apart from the fact that one doesn't get ones thesis written either :|

someone once said that if you have one leg in the past and one in the future you are peeing on the present, which I find is tru.

As long as you take the paper home with you and don't leave it on the pavement, whats the problem? :lol:

after the excitement of the research, writing a thesis is hard, boring work . When you are here you are in thesis avoidance mode. Get back to work. :lol:

I do the same to avoid going to the gym. :shock:

I am not addicted to being here. Its called research.

yes, sorry, I will, straight away :cry:

am in the how do i connect 3 separate analysis of the material into a meaningful flow and cut them down by 5 pages stage....

upside is though, that that means I am well on my way, and only need one more tiny analysis to round them all up form a different perspective :p

P - off

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Was addicted before we went, and found it so helpful. So I thought it would be nice to " give something back " to the forum, after we returned , like one or two helpful posts. But I just can't seem to stop :lol:
My name is Helen and I'm a forum addict :)

I find myself checking this forum many times throughout the day.
So yes, I am an addict.
I need to download the app on my phone, but then I"m afraid I'd be checking even MORE often.
Is there a 12 step program for Camino addicts?

Anniesantiago said:

I was halfway through my 12-step program, but then I couldn't come up with more steps and I got bored, so I gave up. I don't know why I'm posting this though...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Checking the forum at least four times a day but as we are only three days away from launching I hope we can be forgiven for over indulgence. The excitement is palpable as we pack our last supplies and set up our blog and twitter accounts. Saying goodbye to family and friends has been really hard and without exception everyone has asked for reassurance....will you just come home/give up if it's really hard? Right now the reply is NO, no matter how difficult we want to complete this but interesting that this is the common question!
What an exciting adventure awaits us
Sarah and Louise

Not long till I travel to Spain,
I am regularly checking the forum, my next closest addiction is the XE currency application, euros going up $ going down :(

Anniesantiago said:

There is a 1,000,000 step program for Camino addicts, however it has not been proven to be very effective. Many addicts have undertaken the complete program several times and show no improvement, some even get worse.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ffp13 said:
Anniesantiago said:

There is a 1,000,000 step program for Camino addicts, however it has not been proven to be very effective. Many addicts have undertaken the complete program several times and show no improvement, some even get worse.

HA! Brilliant.
Hi, my name is Lindsey, and I'm a Camino addict. And I'm damn okay with that!
I gotta fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell. Er, I mean, Camino. ;)

Sarahandlouise said:
without exception everyone has asked for reassurance....will you just come home/give up if it's really hard? Right now the reply is NO, no matter how difficult we want to complete this but interesting that this is the common question!
Don't be embarrassed if you DO need to give it up. It's not a "do or die" activity! I had to give up last year in constant rain, and with blisters needing hospital treatment. I was devastated. However, in 2011 I had a wonderful camino. Last year I decided I'd never walk a camino again, but.....in six weeks time I start off from Lisbon on the Lisbon to Porto stretch of the Camino Portuguese.
Ultreya!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes there is a 12 step programme.

Step one SJPP to Roncesvalles.
step 2 Pamplona.
3 Logrono.
4. Burgos.
5. Rebekkah and Paddys at Moratinos (where your addiction will be discussed with much sympathy. After all they live on the Camino - always a good cure. :D ).
6. Leon.
7. Astorga.
8. Ponferrada.
9. O Cebreiro.
10. Sarria.
11. Portomarin.
12. Santiago de Compostella.

When you have completed this 12 step programme you will be completely cured.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

No, It doesn't work does it?

@ Pieces P - off. Is that how you are feeling or advice to me?

Finally, remember it is perfectly ok to sit on your favouritte chair in your living room with your boots on your feet, dressed in your Camino clobber, your rucksack on your back and with your stave/staff/pole in your hands, until the palpitations disappear, you're breathing becomes normal and you feel you really can face washing up the dishes.

Edited add on (Not addicted at all U C) In 2008 I wrote in a CSJ bulletin that the next Camino would be my last. To my embarrasement it was quoted in a sermon preached in an English abbey and then posted online. Well I did my "last" 2008 Camino and then returned

2012 - Twice. :oops:

and am booked for the 21st April. Oops.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Yes there is a 12 step programme.

Step one SJPP to Roncesvalles.
step 2 Pamplona.
3 Logrono.
4. Burgos.
5. Rebekkah and Paddys at Moratinos (where your addiction will be discussed with much sympathy. After all they live on the Camino - always a good cure. :D ).
6. Leon.
7. Astorga.
8. Ponferrada.
9. O Cebreiro.
10. Sarria.
11. Portomarin.
12. Santiago de Compostella.

When you have completed this 12 step programme you will be completely cured.

I hope that is not one step per day ;)

Frank

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I didnt know about this Forum before i walked my Camino last year and to be perfectly honest i am glad about that..For me my only preparation was a book, and a movie! Yes i was indeed in for many many surprises! Yet for me this worked well. I didnt need to know all the details before i left. I didnt have a need to try and anticipate every possible event. I love this way of travelling! The Mysterious unknown awaited me, it was calling me, it was as if i had no choice but to go.
I was in awe of what i was about to do, i was tense, nervous and yes doubtful in the days leading up to my departure...All i knew was that i was about to undertake a journey like no other, a spiritual quest that would possibly change my life forever!
So in beginning my first Camino in July 2012 i was probably in many ways less informed and possibly less prepared than many, at least until i met a woman who was walking with no book, no maps and no prior knowledge of this Forum either! Despite this she always seemed to manage the stages and never seemed overly worried about distances or where she would stay...
Well for both of us, the journey unfolded in different ways as it will for every individual on the Camino. Different but the same if that makes any sense. The Camino takes care of you. gives you what you need. Your fellow Pilgrims are always there to assist you just as i was there to support them.
Now i see this forum as my link to the camino! Because like most Pilgrims you never really finish the Journey , The Camino stays with you, deep within you, it flows through you forever calling you back.....It becomes a part of you and no i don't beleive their is any 12 step recovery for this one... Just keep going back :arrow:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hope that is not one step per day

for a young, fit bloke like you Frank, surely no problems m8. :lol:

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
I hope that is not one step per day

for a young, fit bloke like you Frank, surely no problems m8. :lol:

I did manage your step 1 in one day, does that count, I think not I will just have to repeat the program

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sv: Forum Addiction

I love this app because people around me does not understand my camino addiction . But in here we all know what it is about and reading in here makes me feel closer to the camino. Now, I only have a few months to pass before I start camino primitivo. So, Thanks everyone :lol:

As you know I‘m a forum addict, but don‘t know how to download apps yet. That might be a good thing! Buen Camino!

u me both tyrrek 4th visit since 14.00 GMT ie 7 hours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
fortview said:
Was addicted before we went, and found it so helpful. So I thought it would be nice to " give something back " to the forum, after we returned , like one or two helpful posts. But I just can't seem to stop :lol:

This is EXACTLY my experience...and now I'm planning a second Spanish walk!

ffp13 said:
I too am addicted to this forum,
I am using Tapatalk application which has a few flaws.
Has anyone used both the forum app and Tapatalk ? Which in your opinion is better

Thanks
Frank
Love the forum through Tapatalk on my smartphone. Speed at loading and updating, no ads, no busy web page, just comments. Loads fast, scrolls fast, very easy to reply.

I'm an addict, and I still have a year before I leave for my Camino!

I think this is keeping me going in a way, it'll be a decade since something tragic happened to our family and that past decade has been hell on all of us, so looking forward to the Camino is giving me hope that an end to the pain is in sight.

It's also really nice to be surrounded by people who love walking/hiking and talking about gear again. I don't have many people who share my more active interests in my life, so this is where I'm getting my fix :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back