• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum badge?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I have been contacted by some forum members about creating a "Santiago-Today forum badge" of some sort that would make it easier for pilgrims to find fellow forum members while on the camino.

I think the idea is great, and I am all for it... but not sure how this could be done practically. Let's say we create a design, then get someone to make it... who will sell/ship this think out? Are there websites that offer these services (Make+sell+ship)?

I am not sure if I will have the time do do all this myself, so if there were such a service out there that would be the best.

Anyway, I wanted to put the idea out there. :)

If you like the idea and have a possible solution, please post it here (or let me know off the forum).

Un saludo,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At least one other forum has a badge which can be ordered online but I am unsure how many people wear them. The Confraternity of St James in London has two badges I think - one which can be sewn onto garments/rucksacks and the other a silver replica of a much older badge - both available on line. Then of course there are the traditional scallop shells - perhaps forum members who want to identify each other could paint their shell blue or something?!!! It would need to be something like this to avoid problems of sales and distribution. Or there could be a dowloadable design for a stencil which could be cut out and used on t shirts for example. Good luck having more ideas. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ivar, cafepress.com is one such outfit in the US. I don't know if they handle international deliveries, although it seems they would. :)

On edit, maybe a downloadable design would work best as suggested above. That way, you'd only need someone to do the graphic, then upload it to the website. Then we could download it & put it on an iron-on patch or something similar!

dg

I have ordered a scollop shell from Br David (member of this forum) who sells through pilgrimsupplies.com Maybe if we each sourced a shell and then painted it a certain shade of a particular colour like suggested above that would be the quickest, cheapest and most practicle way. That way we all share the load of creating them? :?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
low end theory

Hi,

I must say I agree with JaneB. No offense (especially to Ivar, who does an AMAZING job keeping this forum together; thank you thank you thank you!) to anyone out there making a buck off the camino, but I believe there is enough stuff to buy already. Something simple, available to members who choose to download and stencil or sew on is perfect. Though I am a new member, the community here has been very open and provided me with a great deal of valuable information. I would be proud to wear a badge so that others members could identify me on the camino or non-members could ask me about this forum. Thanks, VP.

I am all for this idea. I would proudly wear or show this badge as people have assisted me before my Camino and I have found many worthy discussions.

Problem now is to create it, to materialize it and to arrange for sales and distribution. If I can help I will gladly do so.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi again,

I understand that people are divided on this one... the good thing is that this is optional, and if you don't like it... you don't have to buy anything.

I like the idea of making one graphic and then you can do with it whatever you want.... button, badge, t-shirt... my idea is not to make any money off this, but I just wanted to create something since I had gotten some requests for it.

CafePress has an option of setting up "shop", they will create, sell and ship each item. They don't have badges, but I found some buttons:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/p ... rue&no=142

I know that these guys give the store owner (that would be me) an option to mark-up each item so that the store owner can make some money, but since that was not my idea I will not mark up anything and we can sell these items for what they charge (without the mark up). It looks like they charge $7,99 for 10 buttons with a custom logo/image on them (+shipping).

... this might be an option...

If someone has an idea for a graphic, please send me an e-mail...

Greetings from a rainy, then sunny, then rainy and then sunny again Santiago,
Ivar

Nice idea - if people would wear them. Though - have been enjoying the jokes about how difficult it would be - verr good.

Look, this is the internet, the world wide web - it''s EASY!

Set up a gallery on here for people to post up design ideas - whether pattern downloads or badges or coloured shells - whatever.
After a month we all vote and a design/type is chosen. Then offer it up for people to get produced - we choose (Ivar chooses) the cheapest/best option. Someone with a shop stocks them and sells them for Ivar - or Ivar just does a linking website where he sells them (very easy, just join Paypal).

If you don't want to do that I will sell whatever the object is on my shop-site link via
Code:
www.pilgrimsupplies.org
and pass on the money to Ivar - or .... handle the p&p and the money goes direct to Ivar - or anyone else with a shop can do it/that.

folks - this isn't rocket science.

In the meantime suggest we all wear a fried egg pinned to our hat so that we can recognise each other - or, whenever we see another pilgrim on the Camino we immediately stand on one leg and salute with the left hand - a similar response will indicate mutual membership ....the other pilgrim running away as fast as they can will indicate fear of lunatics.

Though I do like the idea of Berber Blue shells - a lapel badge the same would be good.

Incidentally, Nepotism here, my Son has a screen printing business in Bath, England - they can print anything.

Also - world of people out there making enamel badges and so on - they aren't expensive.
Profit should go to maintaining this site - Ivar could do bumper stickers as well, mugs, key rings - merchandise is ok - supports free things like this fantastic website.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Forum Badge

Hi All,
As we are from all corners of the globe, I think it would make sense to take up Br David's offer to be our manufacturer and merchant. He has the infrastructure and resources to make, stock, sell and post a "Santiago-Forum" badge through his Pilgrim Supplies.
I wouldn't mind if Santiago-Today had a link on the site to Br David's on-line shop so that we could order a badge chosen by the majority of the Forum members.
As a vegetarian, I'll skip the fried-egg option until the badges/pins are available!

I too would support a badge but wonder why we couldn't all use the cloth one available from the CSJ shop. It looks well made, attractive and being orange and red certainly stands out.

I would be very happy to buy what ever we all decided, with a markup to support this website and Ivar's hard work. With the money being spent on our boots, backpack etc then a few extra dollars going to Ivar for site maintenence is nothing and a generous way of sharing. Rather than try and reinvent the wheel, I think it would be good to accept Br David's offer as he has everything already there in place. Just need to decide what type - for my vote, I think a button would be light to post, not weigh much to carry and we could put it anywhere upon us - replace the egg with the badge! :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perfect! If Br. David is willing to sell this, that would be a good solution. I would link to the area on his site that sell our products.

So, let's create some logos/graphics that we can use on these badges/pins. If you have a suggestion for a graphic, please e-mail them to me within the next 14 days. I will create a few suggestions in case I do not receive anything.

Then I will post all that I receive and we vote on which one we like the best. Once we have decided the graphic, I guess we have to decide on type of badge/product. Maybe Br. David and I can have a look at this and choose a product. If possible, I would like to make a woven badge... but not sure how difficult this is to make.

Un saludo,
Ivar

I agree that Br.David is a good place to begin with the purchase infrastructure.

To avoid overseas shipping costs, I would be willing to stock supplies for North America, to minimize prices for numerous people in this region of the world and avid pilgrims.

Br David, if he agrees, could reach me for details... internet is such a wonderful and simple gizmo.

Well, I flunked stick figures in art class, so I can't design anything, but I was thinking along these lines:

White shell w/cross of St. James (red) on a blue background.

Yellow shell on blue background.

Yellow arrow on blue background

:arrow: would work too. I took an advertising class once & this color combo is the easiest on the eye & most likely to stand out & be noticed.

Obviously, the more color you add, the more expensive, so in order to make the badge more affordable for everyone, a white shell on a blue background or vice versa would be good ideas.

dg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Forum Badge

I have posted a picture of the CSJ badge in the Album section of the Forum.
Perhaps have a similar badge but change the wording to something like
"Camino - Santiago - Today - Forum" ?

I'm up for all of this - like the idea of each the States (maybe each continent?) having stocks ... seems all we really need is a central ordering place - my shop, this forum site ... Ivar is already set up to receive donations so should be simple to pay him direct?
I'll go with whatever is decided.

Like the badge ideas so far - agree about the fried egg, though quite like the distant greeting!
Seems to me that if the CSJ already have a cloth badge they must have a supplier - so if we could find out who they are we could 1) have their badge altered to make it 'ours'; 2) ask whatever else they can do ....

Must admit I like the idea of an object that I could move to different items of clothing - so for me it's a pin/brooch/badge ....

Janeh - love your signature... somehow reminds me - don't know why, of "if at first you don't succeed then sky-diving is not for you."

If it's decided to have stocks on different continents, I am more than happy to be the one for Australia/New Zealand. Paying directly into Ivar's site account is a good idea too. Perhaps we could have both this forum site and Br David's shop as ordering places? Whatever is decided will suit me and please call on me to help supply if you need or want :)
I like the idea of sillydoll's wording too.

I have included a picture of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims in the album for you to comment.

I have also contacted the Company to ask them where they got the badge manufactured. If ok I can either discuss with them or let Ivar know.

Comments welcome....

Does anyone else like the idea of using the current CSJ cloth badge but substituting "camino de europa" with "Confraternity of St James". I think the orange and yellow colours are striking and could easily be spotted at a distance so we could identify each other.

sounds good to me Omar504.....I agree, the orange and yellow are striking and easily spotted. Why "confraternity of St James" by the way?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always thought the forum was under the auspices of the confraternity of st james-but I could well be wrong. If it's not what about "Santiago de Compostela Forum"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally I like the idea of a cloth badge as it is easily fixed to a back pack and also serves as a souvenir at the end of the journey

I;ve resurrected the Badge topic . The extract below is the first one I foind in OZ-they seem pretty cheap buy I don't think doing it from OZ would be very practical. Is anyone else looking into this?

The following is an indicative per unit price for 50% embroidery
Other quantity and size breaks also apply, minimum order quantity of 30 - contact us for details
Please add 10% GST to all prices listed

Size
Qty 50
Qty 100
Qty 300

50mm 2 inch
$3.80
$1.85 $1.00

62mm 2.5 inch
$4.70
$2.40 $1.30

75mm 3 inch
$5.35
$2.80 $1.65

87mm 3.5 inch
$6.10
$3.25 $1.95

100mm 4 inch
$5.65
$3.65 $2.15

Prices include up to 6 thread colours plus the colour of your background material, with an overlocked border
Extra charges apply for an iron on backing, metallic threads and any variations in design

Thanks Omar for your post.

I think what I will do is to create some alternatives based on the feedback in this thread, get in touch with Br. David (I have a almost finished e-mail to him, but I got distracted and never got to send it :) and we can come up with some alternatives on quantity/price/shipping and all that.

Once that is done, I will create a new thread with a poll and we all vote on this. Remember, this is our badge. :)

Un saludo,
Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Forum Badge

Good idea DG.

If we have a round design it could be used to make a fabric badge as well as a button badge.

I like the Canadian design. We could have:

Santiago-Today-Forum across the top and just a plain scallop shell in the middle.

I can just see us pilgrims scuitinising each other’s backpacks for Forum badges and on seeing one saying “WHO are you?”
Wolverine!! Minky!! Ulysse!! Omar!! Magnara!! Sillydoll who??

I can't seem to find the photos of the badges on the photo album site-how do I find them again please?
Sil-I liked the brighter colours of the CSJ badge over the Canadian one and why "today"?-what about using the title of the forum, ie, "Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela Forum"?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Forum Badge

Click on Albums on the front page of the Forum to view all photos.
Yeah - the brighter the better for the badge colours.
The website is "Santiago-Today" so I thought that would be a good name.

Sil
I click on the photos and it shows yours-how do I see the badges??!!

Badges

I clicked on Photo Album,
on Camino Frances,
the first photos are of the paths,
the last two are badges
click on next
the first one if the CSJ badge

€60,-
Forum Badge

Mmmmmm??? I dunno. Thought Santiago was for Santiago City.
Suppose I thought the Camino Frances was the most popular - put it down to unfathomable feminine logic!

Omar, I thought the same. I found this forum via the CSJ website, so assumed the two went hand in hand. Anyway, to be honest I'd be happy with whatever suggestions. It'd just be nice to be able to point, smile and introduce myself to people I've only ever met on the web. If it happens, that's cool, if it doesn't then hey...

Jusdt wanted to put this to the fore again in case some were not aware of it.

I was wondering whether there was any news on the badge

I have been flooded with work lately (which is a good thing when you work freelance) and in addition I have signed up for a Galego class at night...

... but looking at the poll results, it seems like we have a winner. I will get in touch with BR David and see what we need to do to get this moving.

Saludos from a rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all,

I have been contacted by some forum members about creating a "Santiago-Today forum badge" of some sort that would make it easier for pilgrims to find fellow forum members while on the camino.

I think the idea is great, and I am all for it... but not sure how this could be done practically. Let's say we create a design, then get someone to make it... who will sell/ship this think out? Are there websites that offer these services (Make+sell+ship)?

I am not sure if I will have the time do do all this myself, so if there were such a service out there that would be the best.

Anyway, I wanted to put the idea out there. :)

If you like the idea and have a possible solution, please post it here (or let me know off the forum).

Un saludo,
Ivar
how do i order a camino forum badge? jim garrity

I don't want to be negative but in 10 days no one had approached us because we have a forum patch on our packs

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back