• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum demoscopic, @Ivar

I am resident of.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

PANO

It would be interesting to know the percentages of the country-origins of the forum members/participants, by clicks (Google stats)
It occurs to me that certain recurring thread-subjects are heavily focused on a northern-Amercian and Australian audience.
Did you chose English as the Forum-language because it is the "lingua franca" on the camino or was your intent to address an anglo-saxon audience specifically?
Would you be able / willing to make the relevant percentage-stats available to us, Ivar?

Meanwhile, a little poll maybe sheds a light....?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
mmmh! "insular Europe"! Contentious? Are you trying to flame?
I hope you were referring to option 2. @PANO. :):)

From the dictionary:
insular
ˈɪnsjʊlə/
adjective
  1. 1.
    ignorant of or uninterested in cultures, ideas, or peoples outside one's own experience.
    "a stubbornly insular farming people"
    synonyms: narrow-minded, limited, blinkered, restricted, inward-looking,conventional, parochial, provincial, small-town, localist, small-minded, petty-minded, petty, close-minded, short-sighted,myopic, hidebound, dyed-in-the-wool, diehard, set, set in one's ways, inflexible, dogmatic, rigid, entrenched, illiberal, intolerant,prejudiced, bigoted, biased, partisan, sectarian, xenophobic,discriminatory; More
  2. 2.
    relating to or from an island.
    "goods of insular origin"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A German that is married to a Brit and lives in the Czech Republic here o_O SY
Met a young,so in love couple on my 2013 camino.3days,then never met again.He fromm Czeck Republic,her from Slovenia.They had met and later married on their "Home Camino". They recognised and collected all sorts of wild herbs etc as they walked,then made amazing herbal teas at end of each day,free to all.I was so sad when we missed each other on the Way.(They said my Irish accent made it easier for them to understand English)

. .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It would be interesting to know the percentages of the country-origins of the forum members/participants, by clicks (Google stats)
It occurs to me that certain recurring thread-subjects are heavily focused on a northern-Amercian and Australian audience.
Did you chose English as the Forum-language because it is the "lingua franca" on the camino or was your intent to address an anglo-saxon audience specifically?
Would you be able / willing to make the relevant percentage-stats available to us, Ivar?

What about Africa? Sillydoll won't be happy!!

Looking at the stats from the last 30 days, the pilgrims visiting the forum come from:
  1. USA - 30%
  2. UK - 12%
  3. Canada - 9%
  4. Australia - 8%
  5. Ireland - 7%
  6. Spain - 4%
  7. ...
Thanks Ivar. Whow, «the rest of us» is clearly a minority, clearly time to retire....unless of course, we are graciously tolerated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely no flame intended, please help me to rephrase. I merely mean those chilly islands where they happen to speak english (mostly), as opposed (mainland) Europe, where they do not

Euh...we DO speak english on mainland europe, maybe not as our native tongue, but we (most) DUTCH folk speak it very well thank you very much :)

Pano, some attempts at humour can go awry. It is difficult at the best of times to get the right poll questions anyway. I'm quite sure that by isolating the islands from the rest of Europe in the poll you had good intentions. Mine you maybe the lumping of GB and Ireland together could in itself cause raised eyebrows by some? But maybe let's just stick with Ivar's statistics as they are comprehensive, accurate and informative? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pano, some attempts at humour can go awry. It is difficult at the best of times to get the right poll questions anyway. I'm quite sure that by isolating the islands from the rest of Europe in the poll you had good intentions. Mine you maybe the lumping of GB and Ireland together could in itself cause raised eyebrows by some? But maybe let's just stick with Ivar's statistics as they are comprehensive, accurate and informative? :)
Absolutely Al, and given Ivar's very interesting stats, any contributions by non-native english speakers are at risk of being misunderstood or misinterpreted, and at that not always just accidentally.

[...] maybe let's just stick with Ivar's statistics as they are comprehensive, accurate and informative? :)
I approve ! With us living in Central America, me Dutch, Annakappa British, our children Italian and our grandchildren Costaricans, (all speaking English and several other languages), we'd screw up any statistics.:rolleyes:

We can't all be born comedians;):Do_O

I approve ! With us living in Central America, me Dutch, Annakappa British, our children Italian and our grandchildren Costaricans, (all speaking English and several other languages), we'd screw up any statistics.:rolleyes:
LOL! True we wouldn't want statistics screwed up as well as ourselves now would we? PS where is the category for me (Black Country ;)).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was chastised by the Customs and Immigration Officer the last time I returned to Florida, telling me I was a resident of France even though I carry a US Passport and pay my income taxes in the US.

I live in the US. English is my first language. It is easy for me. I speak Spanish and I guess you could say that I can read primary Spanish. My husband is from Ireland and speaks no Spanish.
Although we live in the US he still has his native brogue.
I would like to communicate with everyone, if possible. If we can use Google translate (which is not exact) then we should be able to communicate with everyone. I did not get on this forum thinking that we would be communicating with just North Americans. In my opinion the Forum should be kept open to the world , just as the Camino is.

Last edited:
Don't take this wrong, but...
Q. What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
A. Trilingual.
Q. What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
A. Bilingual.
Q. What do you call someone who speaks one language?
A. American.

I'm ahead of the general curve for Americans since I speak 1.2 languages (including a bit of Spanish and a tinier bit of Italian). Or maybe I should make that 1.3 languages, since I grew up in Texas and still speak Texan fluently, y'all. :D

(A side note, we met so many Irishmen -- and women -- on the Camino that my wife said she was dreaming with an Irish lilt.)

But to get serious, we Americans are generally language-lazy; probably because English has become the most common second language for much of the non-anglophone world, at least for travel and business. You'd think that as an immigrant nation, we'd all still be speaking at least a little of our grandparents' tongue, but I guess the first-generation immigrants felt it important for their children to speak the common language of the land. It's been my observation that the second generation generally spoke the language of the old country plus fluent English, still maintained many (if not most) of the customs of their parents' nation of origin, and even tended to marry within their own national or ethnic groups. But by the third generation, they were fully Americanized and integrated within the great melting pot -- clinging to a few old customs, but otherwise intermarrying at will and generally becoming mono-lingual. For example, both sets of my wife's grandparents came from Italy in the 1880's; her parents and their generation spoke English very fluently and still spoke Italian among themselves. But they did not teach my wife's generation Italian at all.

My own ancestors came primarily from England (mid-1700's), Ireland (1840's), and Germany (1850's). I can still remember going to family reunions as a small child where some of the older folks spoke German, but my own experience was that I only heard English spoken otherwise. Taking a second language was still a requirement in our public schools when I grew up in the 1950's, and was an entry requirement for many colleges and universities. Because I was in Texas, which bordered Mexico and had a large Latin-American population, I chose Spanish as my second language course. But I never really learned to speak Spanish fluently, just enough to get by when traveling in Mexico on vacations, and of course more recently on the Camino. When I travel abroad, I try to learn a few basic words and phases in the local language, which I promptly forget when I get back home. I only learned a bit more Italian because of my wife's family connection when we visited her relatives in Italy a few years ago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A. Trilingual.
A. Bilingual.
A. American.

Now that IS funny :D;)

I tried to register my place of residence, but it was not possible. The poll does not have an option for "other American countries" (I mean, other than US, Canada). Probably it is not statistically relevant, anyway.

A German that is married to a Brit and lives in the Czech Republic here o_O SY

Hello, Madam!

I did not make the connection that you were the author to that book. I purchased it--along with a few others, including Brierley's Guide--about three months ago, and have absolutely enjoyed it. It is a great book for someone who is just beginning to think about doing the Camino de Santiago, and the anecdotes are amusing. I like the way that it's set up, and with practical tips--including quantities of items to bring--it gave a helpful overview of gear that I would need. It's written with humor and answered every question that I initially had. Thanks for the good work!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But to get serious, we Americans are generally language-lazy; probably because English has become the most common second language for much of the non-anglophone world, at least for travel and business.

;););););););););)

Hmph! This American speaks Spanish--not excellently, but it was my college language---and Khmer! My Khmer (lived in Cambodia for several years) is not great, but I can buy what I need at the market. I can count in Thai, great people in most languages.

I'm not sure that educated Americans are language-lazy.

IMHO, English is a universal language, although not the only one spoken on the Camino, duh!

I suspect people come to this forum because a). it is in English and English is a language they are comfortable communicating in and, b) this forum is uber-useful, the grandaddy of Camino information hot spots, the best place to find the most helpful and supportive people who can swiftly and correctly send you in the right direction for any information you are looking for (including non-English language websites).

From a 2.3 - lingual American living in Germany (for the moment).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...Frankish tongue (i.e. French)...

This definition differs from yours:

lingua franca

n.

1620s, from Italian, literally "Frankish tongue." Originally a form of communication used in the Levant, a stripped-down Italian peppered with Spanish, French, Greek, Arabic, and Turkish words. The name is probably from the Arabic custom, dating back to the Crusades, of calling all Europeans Franks (see Frank ). Sometimes in 17c. English sources also known as Bastard Spanish.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

I was chastised by the Customs and Immigration Officer the last time I returned to Florida, telling me I was a resident of France even though I carry a US Passport and pay my income taxes in the US.

The officer was clearly ignorant. The US is one of those countries that does not care how long you live overseas, as long as you continue to pay your federal income taxes. These are based on worldwide income no matter where or how earned.

The concept of "resident" only applies in the US federal context to persons, not US citizens, who have Legal Permanent Residence in the US. There ARE limitations on how long they can remain outside the US in a contiguous block. You can live anywhere you want.

Now, the State of Florida may have state-level laws regarding residency, taxes, and entitlements. However, that is NOT for the federal Customs and Border Protection Officer at the US airport to become involved in. BTW, I was a US Immigration Officer for 25 years. So, I do know whereof I speak. His comments to you likely involves sour grapes as you have an ideal bifurcated residency arrangement; winter in Florida, summer in southern France...sweet!

Similarly, the US officer has no business deciding you are a resident of any foreign country as only each foreign country can make that determination. Also, there are bilateral tax treaties between the US and most every country in the world that provide that you remain a resident and national of the US - forever, unless you take formal action in a foreign country to take on permanent residency or citizenship in that foreign country. But that choice would make you liable to EU level taxation, PLUS US taxation, whichever was higher. You also have to file TWO federal tax returns, one to each country, again according to the bilateral tax treaties. No one in their right mind does THAT without good reason.

I hope this helps.

But to get serious, we Americans are generally language-lazy; probably because English has become the most common second language for much of the non-anglophone world, at least for travel and business.

;););););););););)

Hmph! This American speaks Spanish--not excellently, but it was my college language---and Khmer! My Khmer (lived in Cambodia for several years) is not great, but I can buy what I need at the market. I can count in Thai, great people in most languages.

I'm not sure that educated Americans are language-lazy.

The key word in my original comment was 'generally,' which does not imply that ALL Americans are language-lazy. Lacking statistics, I can only assume based on personal observation, that most of my fellow Americans, when traveling outside our borders, speak only the barest minimum of another language. Of course those living in a foreign country for any length of time, or doing regular overseas travel for business, develop at least some level of fluency in the language of the land where they do most of their travel. But because English has become somewhat of a universal second language, and perhaps because the requirement to learn a second language is becoming less common in the American K-12 educational system, most of casual American tourists simply assume they'll always find someone who speaks English, and therefore don't bother to even learn to say 'please' or 'thank you' in the local language. You are clearly the exception, and my hat's off to you, as it was to the young man from Chicago who was carrying on a simultaneous trilingual conversation (French, Spanish, and Italian) around the dinner table at one of the albergues where we stayed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The key word in my original comment was 'generally,' which does not imply that ALL Americans are language-lazy. Lacking statistics, I can only assume based on personal observation, that most of my fellow Americans, when traveling outside our borders, speak only the barest minimum of another language. Of course those living in a foreign country for any length of time, or doing regular overseas travel for business, develop at least some level of fluency in the language of the land where they do most of their travel. But because English has become somewhat of a universal second language, and perhaps because the requirement to learn a second language is becoming less common in the American K-12 educational system, most of casual American tourists simply assume they'll always find someone who speaks English, and therefore don't bother to even learn to say 'please' or 'thank you' in the local language. You are clearly the exception, and my hat's off to you, as it was to the young man from Chicago who was carrying on a simultaneous trilingual conversation (French, Spanish, and Italian) around the dinner table at one of the albergues where we stayed.

Thanks for the kind words. I currently teach secondary education, and we have a very dynamic Spanish and German language program here; with our diversity here in the Pacific NW, maybe we do better.

When I lived in SE Asia, English had been considered--and is still considered--the international language. Perhaps that's why Americans don't bother learning another language, right?

I'll be immersing myself in Sp. language this summer so I can get better fast before my travels in September.

Again, I had seen that your remark included the adverb "generally"; I just think that the majority of educated Americans do have some second language knowledge.

And also, the key word in my original response was EDUCATED, as in "educated Americans." I mean those with at least an undergraduate degree, to be honest, not those who have gotten through the K-12 system (in which I teach).

And also, the key word in my original response was EDUCATED, as in "educated Americans." I mean those with at least an undergraduate degree, to be honest, not those who have gotten through the K-12 system (in which I teach).
I concur. I fear we're getting a bit off-topic, so I'll just make one last comment...

I recall reading somewhere the number of Americans (percentage-wise) who have ever traveled abroad, and while I can't recall the number itself, I was shocked at how small it was. That could say something about the necessity or desire of the average American to learn a second language. Even if one does take a year or two of a foreign language as an elective class at the secondary or even university level, unless he or she uses it from time to time, it is quickly forgotten. This is especially true when the basic-level instruction concentrates more on grammar than the conversational aspects of the language. This whole language issue works both ways, too -- pity the poor non-English speaking tourist who comes to the US and needs assistance or driving instructions. Spanish is spoken in many parts of the US, but otherwise it's hard to find a merchant, or even a police officer, who speaks another language.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
True, some even speak and understand the Queen's English!
:)
Although it is not clear to me why the ability to speak what has become a minor dialect should be noteworthy. With estimates that only about 3% of people in Britain are RP speakers, its not even holding ground in its mother country. :p

Born in London , married and Indian born in Kenya and now living in Spain and could not think of living any where else now it's my home and in my heart. Will learn the language one day.

Swiss (german/italian speaking) living in US ...but voted as 'Europe' for residence simply because it seems i am still a bit more euro cultural 'conditioned' in lifestyle and values than US. Might seem strange, but there you have it.
Pardon if that mucks up the stats.

(language can be so 'fluid' - on the caminho it happened that i became the 'adopted' translator of a korean pilgrim family (parents and two grown daughters). i speak very little spanish (understanding is better than speaking), and certainly know NO korean whatsoever ... yet, surprise surprise: rather complicated matters involving albergue admissions, medical appointments and certificates and taxi ordering was solved by 'me' interpreting between the non-english speaking spanish hospitaliero and the non-spanish speaking koreans. Exactly how that happened I shall never know, but all that needed to be done was done and all parties happy. )

Id love to say "arent we all just residents of the world. And borders are the cause of all the worlds ills" But that would be too wishy washy and sickofantic at best.:rolleyes:
@hunsta, not sure about this. I thought you might have misspelled sycophantic, but the Urban Dictionary has a great meaning for sickofantic as well. Which is it to be?

lol, I have been working on my Spanish skills today, and I've decided that I definitely need to do more listening and speaking before I arrive in Spain!

Now, I am somewhat confused. Is this poll about country of residence or about languages spoken? Not the same thing....o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know... I am so afraid to work on Spanish now, ever since I tried to book train tickets in Barcelona with the ticket counter lady looking at me like a crazy person... only to realize I'd been asking her in Japanese (my second language) NOT Spanish! very embarrassing.

, ever since I tried to book train tickets in Barcelona with the ticket counter lady looking at me like a crazy person... only to realize I'd been asking her in Japanese (my second language) NOT Spanish! very embarrassing.
No doubt she was thinking " La mujer es muy loco"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
lol, I have been working on my Spanish skills today, and I've decided that I definitely need to do more listening and speaking before I arrive in Spain!
I too have been working on my Spanish for my upcoming visit in May. I can write some and speak some with confidence. But when I watch spanish speaking movies to listen, Im flat out understanding more than a couple of words. I am confidant that what Spanish I now know and what I study up on in the coming months , Ill get by nicely. I mean how much more than " Una cerveza por favor" does one need?

€83,-
I am Celtic-American born in New England, USA. My forum name is an homage to Jose Saramago, the Portuguese writer who only had a grammar school education and spoke one language. He is a Nobel prize winning author, now deceased. His trade was a mechanic until later in life. Just call me Pat.
(as an aside: then you are probably/perhaps looking forward to visiting Azinhaga on your Caminho Portuguese ...the place where he was born. See two attached pics below)

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 5
Looking at the stats from the last 30 days, the pilgrims visiting the forum come from:
  1. USA - 30%
  2. UK - 12%
  3. Canada - 9%
  4. Australia - 8%
  5. Ireland - 7%
  6. Spain - 4%
  7. ...
The problem with stats is that can be used to justify any position. What the old expression - lies, lies and statistics

Ideally these statistics should be normalized.

The problem with stats is that can be used to justify any position. What the old expression - lies, lies and statistics

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The term was popularised in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the 19th-century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Other coiners have therefore been proposed, and the phrase is often attributed to Twain himself.

€83,-
How wonderful! Gives me the chills. Thank you for sharing. I was in Lisbon and the south beaches over a decade ago (when it was raining in Switzerland - kids at The American School, Lysin) and hopped over from there but that was before my love affair with Jose Saramago.;-) yes, yes and yes. Thank you! I did also go up to Fatima and can't wait for this route. Thank you so much for sharing!

Leysin - south of Gstaad.
you are very welcome!
thought you might like to also check on this link what i wrote on the 1 night sojourn in Azinhaga -
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-i.27901/
two images taken in azinhaga on
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/users/amorfati1.22497/?page=6
and this one shortly after azinhaga
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/view-before-golega.981/
have fun planning this fab caminho ... and a blessed time walking
cheers - c

They are normalised. They are relative frequencies, ie expressed as percentages of the total. How else would you expect them to be normalised?

Such a shame that the universal language of "Esperanto " was not further developed .
As English being my first language I have tried to learn a little of the language of each country travelled - quite daunting at times.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
unless the mujer is a travestite but correct is " la mujer es muy loca ! "
I did say I was still learning. My deepest appologise to all crazy "travestites" Whatever part of the gender equation they are.LOL

mmmh! "insular Europe"! Contentious? Are you trying to flame?
Oh, come on Al.
We're not really part of the EU are we?! ;)
I think it was an essential demarcation ..... and I'm quite proud of my heritage .....
Actually, the percentage replies shows it was a worthwhile option - almost the same % from "insular" as the rest of Europe.
Well done on this interesting 'forum' :)

They are normalised. They are relative frequencies, ie expressed as percentages of the total. How else would you expect them to be normalised?

Normalized in terms of the general internet population.

As a native (Castilian) Spanish speaker, in my humble opinion, the most correct would be: esta mujer está muy loca. But maybe the person at the ticket desk didn't think in Spanish but in Catalan...
Usted tiene razón. Está loca. Trabajaba en Catalunya antes y porque mezclé todo.
Agora falo mais Português. Mucho complicado.
Pues.. Muchas gracias para sua reación

Saludos deste lado
Albertinho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Normalized in terms of the general internet population.
They are already normalised now - should you wish they can be compared to the general internet population. Given there doesn't appear to be any significant level of participation from China, it's likely to demonstrate that the forum population is skewed. But so what? None of what might be the key characteristics of forum members are going to make us a representative population!

I too have been working on my Spanish for my upcoming visit in May. I can write some and speak some with confidence. But when I watch spanish speaking movies to listen, Im flat out understanding more than a couple of words. I am confidant that what Spanish I now know and what I study up on in the coming months , Ill get by nicely. I mean how much more than " Una cerveza por favor" does one need?
Well, if one wants a large beer, as often happens after a hot days hiking, you might throw in "grande" along with the "cerveza". And if you are looking for a draught beer in Compostela, you might ask for a "cana" pronounced "carn-ya" - by asking for a cerveza you will normally get a stubbie.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Well, if one wants a large beer, as often happens after a hot days hiking, you might throw in "grande" along with the "cerveza". And if you are looking for a draught beer in Compostela, you might ask for a "cana" pronounced "carn-ya" - by asking for a cerveza you will normally get a stubbie. ...

I always ask for "una cerveza tamaño peregrino, por favor" which gets me the desired amount :cool: Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Such a shame that the universal language of "Esperanto " was not further developed .
Tia honto ke la universala lingvo "Esperanto" estis ne plu disvolvis.
Kiel angla estante mia unua lingvo 1 provis lerni iom de la lingvo de ĉiu lando vojaĝis - tre fortimiga kelkfoje.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tia honto ke la universala lingvo "Esperanto" estis ne plu disvolvis.
Kiel angla estante mia unua lingvo 1 provis lerni iom de la lingvo de ĉiu lando vojaĝis - tre fortimiga kelkfoje.
Thanks to Google Translate, I concur. It might take a generation or two to implement as a universal language, and would probably require mandatory studies at the primary and/or secondary level. It would also require some universal authority to keep the language current since there is no 'native' Esperanto speakers or homeland, and that probably represents the biggest impediment to its becoming a reality. In the meantime, English, by default, remains the most common 'universal' second language.

Was looking for somewhere to register but now see the poll closed.
And where are all those Americans walking? We don't see many on the VdlP and other routes we walk. (not the Frances).
Just wondering. . .

A. Trilingual.
A. Bilingual.
A. American.

I'm ahead of the general curve for Americans since I speak 1.2 languages (including a bit of Spanish and a tinier bit of Italian). Or maybe I should make that 1.3 languages, since I grew up in Texas and still speak Texan fluently, y'all. :D

(A side note, we met so many Irishmen -- and women -- on the Camino that my wife said she was dreaming with an Irish lilt.)

But to get serious, we Americans are generally language-lazy; probably because English has become the most common second language for much of the non-anglophone world, at least for travel and business. You'd think that as an immigrant nation, we'd all still be speaking at least a little of our grandparents' tongue, but I guess the first-generation immigrants felt it important for their children to speak the common language of the land. It's been my observation that the second generation generally spoke the language of the old country plus fluent English, still maintained many (if not most) of the customs of their parents' nation of origin, and even tended to marry within their own national or ethnic groups. But by the third generation, they were fully Americanized and integrated within the great melting pot -- clinging to a few old customs, but otherwise intermarrying at will and generally becoming mono-lingual. For example, both sets of my wife's grandparents came from Italy in the 1880's; her parents and their generation spoke English very fluently and still spoke Italian among themselves. But they did not teach my wife's generation Italian at all.

My own ancestors came primarily from England (mid-1700's), Ireland (1840's), and Germany (1850's). I can still remember going to family reunions as a small child where some of the older folks spoke German, but my own experience was that I only heard English spoken otherwise. Taking a second language was still a requirement in our public schools when I grew up in the 1950's, and was an entry requirement for many colleges and universities. Because I was in Texas, which bordered Mexico and had a large Latin-American population, I chose Spanish as my second language course. But I never really learned to speak Spanish fluently, just enough to get by when traveling in Mexico on vacations, and of course more recently on the Camino. When I travel abroad, I try to learn a few basic words and phases in the local language, which I promptly forget when I get back home. I only learned a bit more Italian because of my wife's family connection when we visited her relatives in Italy a few years ago.
Bi-linguistically leaning Texans are more the norm here.although,a smattering of cajun,with some hillbilly thrown in will confuse the best of them when i "twang"my accent.bom gia,dobra utra,buenos dias,...mornin yall;)

Last edited:

?Donde esta el baño?

Yeah, the hardest part is oral comprehension. I didn't find movies to be useful as a learning tool.

To avoid this thread degenerating into an argument among friends, I deleted the original post I wrote. It is simply not worth the angst, especially among people I respect.

That was not my intention. I understand some folks feel more strongly about this subject than I do. So, in this case, it was better to retreat...;) To each his or her own. Vive la difference!

I regret any inconvenience or misconstruction.:confused:

To avoid this thread degenerating into an argument among friends, I deleted the original post I wrote. It is simply not worth the angst, especially among people I respect.

That was not my intention. I understand some folks feel more strongly about this subject than I do. So, in this case, it was better to retreat...;) To each his or her own. Vive la difference!

I regret any inconvenience or misconstruction.:confused:
Dito here, my friend :)

€83,-
I regret any inconvenience or misconstruction.

Me too.

I decided to delete my reply quoting part of your deleted post and part of a post by dougfitz because it doesn't make sense anymore once you deleted your post (not that it made too much sense before...). That way @dougfitz can (feel free to) delete his reply both to your deleted post and to my now deleted post too, if he wants to make it.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back