• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Emoticons/Smilies

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Hello @ivar and all of you hard working, patient Mods. Thank you for ALL you do!

It's quite possible that what I ask for is not! That said..Is there any way, to change out this 'top' emoticon 😍 for this one, ♥ ???There's such a monumental difference between the two.

My 2 cents worth and, thanks in advance for your consideration.

EDIT: Example...when responding to a tragic or sorrowful post, the big toothy grin is not something I'm feeling.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello @ivar and all of you hard working, patient Mods. Thank you for ALL you do!

It's quite possible that what I ask for is not! That said..Is there any way, to change out this 'top' emoticon 😍 for this one, ♥ ???There's such a monumental difference between the two.

My 2 cents worth and, thanks in advance for your consideration.
Excellent suggestion! I hope they can do it. 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was thinking that a set of some Camino emojis or icons might be nice, if sourceable...

Thinking a...
  • hiking man and a woman, and maybe kids...
  • traditional bearded pilgrim in a tunic with a staff, gourd and upturned hat
  • happy pilgrim, unhappy pilgrim, winking pilgrim, crying pilgrim...etc.
  • rucksack, a BIG rucksack, and a smaller rucksack...
  • Camino concha...
  • Cruz de Santiago...
  • Yellow directional arrows, and yellow X...
  • a mojone...
  • wine bottle...
  • walking staff with gourd...
  • facsimile of a credencial, partially unfolded..
  • examples of generic sellos...
  • facsimile of a Compostela (A4 vertical) and distance certificate (A3 horizontal)
  • etc.
I don't have the requisite skill to know how to do this. But I know it can be done. Perhaps someone out there can put together a Camino icon set and contribute same to the forum... Just a thought...

Hope this helps.

@Derrybiketours...why do you laugh? 🤔
Laugh because I agree and thought it funny as your very complimentary with your eyes filled with love. I second your suggestion and would add a 'thumbs up' and 'Namaste' might be another, 'like' is too generic 👍🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
🧡💛💚💙💜🖤💔💕💞💓💗💖💘💟 if you start using them they should come out at the top.
I don't know if this is accurate as I've been using 🙏 alot and hasn't appeared in top line yet. I'm also working on my personal favourite maybe someone who designs imojis will produce one with a patchy beard 🤠

If I am not mistaken, the forum software now accepts most emojis from your device or computer. For example, if you type using a home computer, you should be able to insert your emojis, etc. I am not certain how well this works from smartphones, but I imagine this would be no different.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I am not mistaken, the forum software now accepts most emojis from your device or computer. For example, if you type using a home computer, you should be able to insert your emojis, etc. I am not certain how well this works from smartphones, but I imagine this would be no different.
Smartphones work fine, adding emojis!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Works very well with smartphones 😊👍, but I think what we're talking about (at least what I'm talking about 😉) is to put a heart on the "like" button. 💖💝😄😄 @ivar? Mods? 🤷‍♀️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was thinking that a set of some Camino emojis or icons might be nice, if sourceable...

Thinking a...
  • hiking man and a woman, and maybe kids...
  • traditional bearded pilgrim in a tunic with a staff, gourd and upturned hat
  • happy pilgrim, unhappy pilgrim, winking pilgrim, crying pilgrim...etc.
  • rucksack, a BIG rucksack, and a smaller rucksack...
  • Camino concha...
  • Cruz de Santiago...
  • Yellow directional arrows, and yellow X...
  • a mojone...
  • wine bottle...
  • walking staff with gourd...
  • facsimile of a credencial, partially unfolded..
  • examples of generic sellos...
  • facsimile of a Compostela (A4 vertical) and distance certificate (A3 horizontal)
  • etc.
I don't have the requisite skill to know how to do this. But I know it can be done. Perhaps someone out there can put together a Camino icon set and contribute same to the forum... Just a thought...

Hope this helps.
Rick, are you up to the task?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Uh-oh... WHAT have I done? ‘Er... maybe we could just use the English language?

Emojis are cute and might be useful. But I am concerned about an increased ability for misunderstandings. I have enough difficulty getting past the moderators as it is.

A picture (emoji) that says something to me, might be problematic or even insulting to another... like I said, uh-oh...

Let me attempt to wrangle this in...
@ivar, We 'luv' posts and replies for various reasons. Many of us use emoticons to help express sentiment, when words might be difficult. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your (well chosen) Mods, understand what I'm trying to say. If there is a reply to a death post (for example) that touches me deeply, a simple heart ♥ will convey sincere emotion. This > 😍, does not.
Once again, just my 2cents worth and, it's really not all that important...is it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
❤️ This symbol - to the left - should be a red heart. I just copied it in from my Chrome /Edit/Emoji & Symbols menu.

If the red heart is above, this means you can copy an emoji in from your browser.

Just sayin...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
These are the quick options available to me. Just saying that it would be nice to have the plain and simple ❤ as a quick opinion, instead of the smiling one.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Uh-oh... WHAT have I done? ‘Er... maybe we could just use the English language?

Emojis are cute and might be useful. But I am concerned about an increased ability for misunderstandings. I have enough difficulty getting past the moderators as it is.

A picture (emoji) that says something to me, might be problematic or even insulting to another... like I said, uh-oh...
I have not read every post on this thread but I agree with @t2andreo about the possibility of emoticons and misunderstandings. On a recent thread someone reacted with the angry face to a few completely benign posts. Was that person saying that they were driven to anger by the nice thing that was said, or was showing anger at the poster, or violently disagreeing when there was nothing said to disagree with, or just made a mistake and did not correct it ?

In the end I took it as an undeserved insult by someone who does not read carefully, and then moved on to other things.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Emoji land is a place I do not spend too much time... but when I do, I often get lost... :)

I have added two new "Reactions" (as the forum software called it).
Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 13.57.58.png

...a "Buen Camino" reaction and a "Love - Red Heart" one... I am happy to receive more suggestions for new ones, if you also could send me a link to an emoji image that we can use (I am not a very good designer).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
View attachment 59768
These are the quick options available to me. Just saying that it would be nice to have the plain and simple ❤ as a quick opinion, instead of the smiling one.
I understood right away that you were talking about the "buttons" for indicating "like", "love" 😍, "sad", "angry", etc. for each post, not the emoji that can be inserted in the body of a post.

Emoji land is a place I do not spend too much time... but when I do, I often get lost... :)

I have added two new "Reactions" (as the forum software called it).
View attachment 59796

...a "Buen Camino" reaction and a "Love - Red Heart" one... I am happy to receive more suggestions for new ones, if you also could send me a link to an emoji image that we can use (I am not a very good designer).
Well done , Ivar. a happy constituency will no doubt give many more suggestions for the 'like' button bar! It was a fair request, so well done OP. I love the pilgrim too. I actually love to look at the red angry face but haven't used it yet, I don't think! maybe once, but can't remember when...

I understood right away that you were talking about the "buttons" for indicating "like", "love" 😍, "sad", "angry", etc. for each post, not the emoji that can be inserted in the body of a post.
LOOK!!! Thank you, @ivar 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190624-060012.png
    Screenshot_20190624-060012.png
    368.4 KB · Views: 6
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am happy to receive more suggestions for new ones,
I hope that we don't get too carried away with adding to those easy to get at emojis but one more I think would be useful and nice to have would be a thank you emoji. I suppose 😍 emoji already there might be good to use if there isn't anything better.

So, 😍 Ivar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Love the new emojis!! Already enjoying them! At least now the single can flirt with each other with the love-bug-eyes 😍 and keep the hearts for the people we wish to let know how much their words affect us or the love we hope to extend to each other!!

Is this the thank you emoji? 🙏
@ivar This is my favourite emoji and expect it can mean many different things but I associate it with Namaste usually spoken with a slight bow and hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. This gesture is called Añjali Mudrā or Pranamasana. In Hinduism, it means "I bow to the divine in you". 🤠🙏

Is this the thank you emoji? 🙏
Doesn't look like one to me. It seems to be labelled as [colon]pray[colon]. But when I start typing in [colon]thanks[colon] that emoji shows up as the only thing that could be picked from a menu though. Maybe we need to find someone fluent in emoji.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But when I start typing in [colon]thanks[colon] that emoji shows up as the only thing that could be picked from a menu though.
The same applies if type 'folded' so open to various interpretations 🤠

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually, that is the Hindu / Buddhist "Wai" emoji. This sign is used for greeting in place of handshakes in many Eastern cultures. For example, this is the default greeting in Thailand, and IRC in Myanmar (Burma).
Tom, is there anything you "don't" know? I say that a little "tongue in cheek".😉

€46,-
According to EmojiPedia:

View attachment 59861

I do not dispute Ivar’s contribution. But, the pointed hands with palms pressed together is a gesture that is several thousand years old. “Namaste” (Hindi) is closest to correct in the list above, as that is what one says while making the hands-together gesture to others.

This ancient gesture definitely pre-dates “invention” of the “high-five.” The other listed uses (please, prayer, thank you) are modern derivatives of the ancient, original use to say hello and goodbye in far eastern Hindu and Buddhist cultures.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Chrissy said:
Are you still tucking in your pies? 😃 I'm finally getting dressed. You can watch if you like cuz it's the only time you'll get to see me like that with the lights on!😂😂😉

😉
I am LMBO! It's "been going on for 24 hours"...don't you know I am one of the biggest joksters on the forum? That's why I can't leave the Not serious thread!...and I love that song! 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have not read every post on this thread but I agree with @t2andreo about the possibility of emoticons and misunderstandings. On a recent thread someone reacted with the angry face to a few completely benign posts. Was that person saying that they were driven to anger by the nice thing that was said, or was showing anger at the poster, or violently disagreeing when there was nothing said to disagree with, or just made a mistake and did not correct it ?

In the end I took it as an undeserved insult by someone who does not read carefully, and then moved on to other things.

Sorry... I couldn't resist ❤️😉

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back