• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Meet-up in Kankakee

peregrina2000

Staff member
One drove 80 miles north, one drove 80 miles south, and one had a short 30 mile drive. We spent four hours in Martinez Tacos, and I am sure the rest of the clientele was quite sick of us and our endless chatter and laugh.

Thanks to @annmte for the cookies!!! And to @jpflavin1 for his endless stream of stories, frequently involving deep snow drifts on different caminos. And for treating us to lunch. šŸ˜€We are thinking we might move our next meet-up west a bit, in which case it would be reasonable for @Camino Chrissy to join us again. This part of the midwest seems to have a dearth of camino nut cases.

I am a very bad selfie taker, having not progressed in my skills since my very first selfie taken with @NualaOC when we met up in Hondarribia for our Camino BaztƔn years ago. But you get the idea.

E01B65D4-5152-4CE4-9A40-7EAF145E7A8D.jpeg89E0C4B2-87D3-48A0-8A98-6EFF9E76C981.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
One drove 80 miles north, one drove 80 miles south, and one had a short 30 mile drive.
Totally irrelevant, but seeing the thread title gave me a flashback to when I was younger, (much), and used to sing in a folk group at my local pub. A favourite song for me was ā€œThe City of New Orleansā€, (Arlo Guthrie), and I remember listening obsessively to the LP and writing down the lyrics. Couldnā€™t make sense of ā€œthe train pulled out of ā€¦ā€ - what quay? I had to make up words that seemed to fit. Then along came the internet and I discovered that Kankakee, phonetically, was exactly what he was singing, a real place. So, maybe itā€™ll go down with iconic places like Wichita, (ā€¦whereā€™s that?), - thanks Glen.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope you took the train!
HA! There is a City of New Orleans train, which goes from Chicago to New Orleans, stopping in Kankakee and my town Champaign as well. It goes once a day, usually about 3 hours late coming up from the south.

Maybe when Arlo Guthrie was singing about it, it was a more reliable form of transportation, but now the freight rail lines push the passenger trains off the main track so they can pass, making for totally unreliable service.

But the camaraderie (and the cookies) made it worth the drive.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe when Arlo Guthrie was singing about it, it was a more reliable form of transportation, but now the freight rail lines push the passenger trains off the main track so they can pass, making for totally unreliable service.
The law says passenger trains have priority but enforcement is negligible.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rateā€¦.I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as ā€œEasy Camino Francesā€...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back