• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 2018 Open House/Forum Meet-Up in Santiago - Call ahead please!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
As the pilgrim season slows down, Open House/Forum Meet Up is from now on only "on demand" ;-) So please contact me beforehand if you want to meet up for a cup/glass of something and a chat. Also, if you need help with anything in Santiago, please contact me http://egeria.house/contact and I do what I can do to help!

Important Info! Please read first!

How to find my place:

The address is TRAVESIA do Carme de Abeixo, there are two streets with similar names in the neighbourhood. At least one neighbour in those streets, as I discovered, has had regularly pilgrims ringing her door bell. She was really gracious as I went over to apologize, but please make sure you come to the right place. To find my house (and not hers):

Follow the Camino to Finisterre until you see the sign pointing to the albergue Roots&Boots pointing to the left.

Turn right in the little street called TRAVESIA do Carme de Abeixo.
My place is less than 10m down that street at number four on the right hand side.

• It is a white, wooden door, which is open (weather permitting).
  • SYates is written on the door bell.
  • If you don't see my name on the door bell, you are at the wrong house!

Please help me to maintain good relationships with my neighbours and don't ring/knock at the wrong door ;-)

S.Yates' Place
Travesía do Carme de Abeixo 4
15705 Santiago de Compostela

Egeria House Map.jpg

Link to interactive map (scroll down): http://egeria.house/contact

I will provide: Tea/Coffee, soft drinks, cookies/biscuits etc.

Costs: None, but you are welcome to bring drink/food to share with others and there might be a discreetly placed basket in a corner where you can drop a cent or two for the next supply of tea bags ;-)

Lets just see how it goes and I will take it from there. Looking forward to seeing you all & Buen Camino, SY

PS For all of you that are/were concerned about my privacy: When I envisioned living in Santiago, I already had it very clear in my head that I would share part of the house with pilgrims/friends, so nobody is intruding on my privacy ;-) The ground floor is 'open space', the first floor is 'invited only' space and the second floor is 'only my space'. ;-)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bless your heart for this offering ~ next time in SdC i will most certainly come and join you for a cuppa' -
very best wishes -
e tanti saluti e auguri
Claudia

Hi everybody, as I wrote here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-meet-up-and-input-please.48358/ I would love to re-start a regular forum meet-up in Santiago. Even when the poll in my original post was slightly more in favour of meeting at a Bar-Café, it really would be more practical for me to do it at my place. If nobody comes, at least I can do things around the house ;-) So here the practical info:

Daily, starting Monday 5th June 2017 from 16:00 -18:00, but no forum meet-up on Saturday 10th June 2017 as I will be away that day!

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Costs: None, but you are welcome to bring drink/food to share with others and there might be a discreetly placed basket in a kitchen corner where you can drop a cent or two for the next supply of tea bags ;-)

I will update this thread regularly here with the next upcoming forum meet-ups. Like this ;-)

Up coming forum meet-ups:

5th June 2017 - yes

6th June 2017 - yes

7th June 2017 - yes

8th June 2017 - yes

9th June 2017 - yes

10th June 2017 - NO

11th June 2017 – yes

Lets just see how it goes and I will take it from there. Looking forward to seeing you all & Buen Camino, SY

PS For all of you that are/were concerned about my privacy: When I envisioned living in Santiago, I already had it very clear in my head that I would share part of the house with pilgrims/friends, so nobody is intruding on my privacy ;-) The ground floor is 'open space', the first floor is 'invited only' space and the second floor is 'only my space'. ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are wonderful to do this. Unfortunately, I just returned to the U.S. yesterday from Santiago. I will have to do another camino so I can meet you. While in Santiago, I stayed at Albergue Blanco, which appears to be quite near your apartment. I wish I had known! Buen camino every day.

Be prepared! I arrive back in Santiago 12 July for about five weeks. I start working at the P/O for a month soon there after and through mid-August. This time, no walking. I am flying directly to SCQ from MIA, via MAD. The ACC have me billeted in pilgrim digs at San Martin Pinario for the month...hope they included breakfast...

Send me a PM if you have a shopping list of stuff you might want from this side of the pond. If it fits in my checked luggage it comes. Starbucks coffee perhaps, or some other quintessential American food favorite that you might like to have on hand...? Heck Mike Matynyk (Wise Pilgrim Guides) asked me to bring him crushed red pepper of all things...says he cannot find it anywhere in Spain... Anyway, I got it locally and it is on the "to pack " pile...

FYI, this is a service I've been offering to all my EU friends for many years. My prices are better than the local shop selling American "comfort food." Plus you get free and personal delivery...;)

Wanna baseball bat for folks who can't take the hint to move on down the road? Wood or aluminum? LOL

Looking forward to seeing you again...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... Send me a PM if you have a shopping list of stuff you might want from this side of the pond. If it fits in my checked luggage it comes. Starbucks coffee perhaps, or some other quintessential American food favorite that you might like to have on hand...?

As I am not an American, so I have no idea what kind of non-perishable comfort food Americans on the Camino crave - so I leave that up to you ;-)

Wanna baseball bat for folks who can't take the hint to move on down the road? Wood or aluminum? LOL

Thank you kindly for the offer, but so far a stern look was sufficient in the past. You know that German glance that spells out 'Achtung!'. BC SY

Hi everybody, as I wrote here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-meet-up-and-input-please.48358/ I would love to re-start a regular forum meet-up in Santiago. Even when the poll in my original post was slightly more in favour of meeting at a Bar-Café, it really would be more practical for me to do it at my place. If nobody comes, at least I can do things around the house ;-) So here the practical info:

Daily, starting Monday 5th June 2017 from 16:00 -18:00, but no forum meet-up on Saturday 10th June 2017 as I will be away that day!

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Costs: None, but you are welcome to bring drink/food to share with others and there might be a discreetly placed basket in a kitchen corner where you can drop a cent or two for the next supply of tea bags ;-)

I will update this thread regularly here with the next upcoming forum meet-ups. Like this ;-)

5th June 2017 - yes

6th June 2017 - yes

7th June 2017 - yes

8th June 2017 - yes

9th June 2017 - yes

10th June 2017 - NO

11th June 2017 – yes

Sarah, you have been SO helpful to me and to everyone else here - Thank you! It sounds like so much fun, and wish we were in Santiago....but alas, just reading and dreaming!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As I am not an American, so I have no idea what kind of non-perishable comfort food Americans on the Camino crave - so I leave that up to you ;-) BC SY

That's easy then. What I hear that Europeans like for comfort food from the US is Jack Daniels or in Rebekah's case Wild Turkey. Just a rumor mind you. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... What are the national demographics of the folks you are hosting so far, in general terms?...

Lol, so far I had staying with me: A French couple, a Brazilian-Irish couple and a Philippine-Australian peregrina ;-) Hardly a huge sample - so just do your worst and looking forward to seeing you again in July. BC SY

I am here, waiting for you all! My biggest is that --- nobody turns up ... BC SY
hi syates, I plan to be in sdc on Friday, June 9 in the afternoon. it would be very unfortunate if no one shows after all your kind and generous efforts. i plan to visit if your offer remains open.

OBTW, i had breakfast at Cafe Tertulia on Rua Pombal last Tuesday (may 30) as I was passing through sdc to finisterre and found it smallish. I note that your home is not far from that location.

hope to see you. Cheers, ct

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @CumbresTrekker ,

I am stubborn - I will not 'close the house' after a day or two of nobody showing up - if that happens ... My home is indeed very close to Tertulia and at 2m distance, or so, from the Camino Finisterre. Looking forward to meeting you on the 9th June. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@SYates Your generosity warms my heart and I hope your life in SdC becomes all that you dreamed of. All the best and bless you.
PS! Do you need anything from Sweden? (Please don´t ask for a moose, they are so hard to fit in to the backpack. ;))

@SYates ... PS! Do you need anything from Sweden? (Please don´t ask for a moose, they are so hard to fit in to the backpack. ;))

Oh, what I pity - I always wanted to have a pet moose :D
Don't carry anything the whole way, just for me, but thanks for the offer!

Buen Camino, SY

First forum meet-up went well with two pilgrims showing up and sharing experiences and stories ;-)And hopefully enjoying homemade lemonade, chocolate cake and cherries. Looking forward to the next meet-up tomorrow! BC SY

I was fortunate enough to attend the first official meet up in Sybils new residence. Such a lovely, welcoming space and so well located; a 10-minute walk from the Cathedral and a few steps off the Finistere Camino. I was also fortunate enough to meet another active Forum member there. I'll be in town another day before returning to Muxia and intend to be at the meet up tomorrow. The space and Sybil's warmth and generous hospitality is such a gift to us pilgrims. Thank you Sybil.

I was fortunate enough to attend the first official meet up in Sybils new residence. Such a lovely, welcoming space and so well located; a 10-minute walk from the Cathedral and a few steps off the Finistere Camino. I was also fortunate enough to meet another active Forum member there. I'll be in town another day before returning to Muxia and intend to be at the meet up tomorrow. The space and Sybil's warmth and generous hospitality is such a gift to us pilgrims. Thank you Sybil.
It was great meeting you two too :) There is still plenty of homemade lemonade, choco cake, cherries and other goodies available for the next meet-ups, so don't be shy, come and say hello! BC SY

Than you @Chito I was also fortunate to meet you at Sybil's house and of course, thank you to Sybil for her hospitality.
Yesterday before the visit I had finished the Camino Lugo - Santiago.
In 2013 I had to give up my C. Primitivo in San Román da Retorta for family reasons. Fortunately this year I have completed it.

Cool beans. See you. Thanks for heading this out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nobody came yesterday, but fresh, homemade lemonade is waiting for those that are, hopefully, coming today. BC SY

Today I had the joy of hosting the meet-up with the most pilgrims so far, 3 in total. Also, as my plans have changed - there will be a forum meet-up tomorrow at the usual time. So, if you are in Santiago, don't be shy and drop by!

Buen camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Isn't everyone here a celebrity?:D
(@ivar, we need a 'tongue in cheek' icon, please.)

Couldn't agree more! Some of us pilgrims just more 'visible' because we are forum addicts, which doesn't make as celebrities in my opinion, just Camino addicts who can type fast. :confused::rolleyes: Buen Camino, SY

Hi everybody, I have adjusted the dates slightly ;-) As most pilgrims seem to be busy traveling back home on the weekends, the forum meet-up will now take place 'only' from Monday - Friday. If anyone here feels bored on the weekends, just write me a PM and I make coffee/tea just for you :)
Buen Camino, SY

Today I had the joy of hosting the meet-up with the most pilgrims so far, 3 in total. Also, as my plans have changed - there will be a forum meet-up tomorrow at the usual time. So, if you are in Santiago, don't be shy and drop by!

Buen camino, SY
Hi Sybil, one of the very nicest and most cordial events of my CF, Finisterre and Muxia experiences was the meet-up at your house in SdC. You deserve so much recognition for hosting and supporting the continuation of this. Such a visit with you and other pilgrims was a great finishing touch to my seven week trip -- it seemed so fitting to sit and chat informally about it all after having just completed it. Again, my sincerest appreciation.

This also reminds me of our chat about Havana Club Black Label Rum. Just FYI, I learned at the Duty Free store in the Madrid Airport on June 11 that as of May 10, 2017, it became legal to carry it to the USA. This after having been banned by the Cuban trade embargo for a number of decades. So, I brought a bottle back with me. [Sure beats Southern Comfort for my taste.]

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but things have been really busy here. Now (around 1:00 pm, Central U.S. Daylight Time, 7 hours behind Central European Daylight Time), I can barely go outside due to the storm remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy from the Gulf of Mexico blowing quite boisterously through my area, i.e., downpour rain with about 40 kph winds. No, I am NOT out there training on my network of backcountry trails this afternoon!

My girlfriend and I are now planning a follow-up Camino from about El Acebo or Ponferrada to SdC in fall 2018. She is really interested in the Compludo option and O'Cebriero. We'll see how it goes with her getting enough vacation days at her job. She is looking forward to meeting you.

Again, many thanks. Cheers, CT

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my SY. I so wish that I knew that is where you lived as my wife and I spent two nights in the AC Hotel right near you two weeks ago at the end of our SJPDP/SDC/Fin/Muxia Camino as a treat to ourselves. I would have absolutely loved to meet one of the individuals (you) who has in many ways helped to form the excellent forum here we all enjoy. Perhaps next time......... Ed

Oh my SY. I so wish that I knew that is where you lived as my wife and I spent two nights in the AC Hotel right near you two weeks ago at the end of our SJPDP/SDC/Fin/Muxia Camino as a treat to ourselves. I would have absolutely loved to meet one of the individuals (you) who has in many ways helped to form the excellent forum here we all enjoy. Perhaps next time......... Ed

You will just have to go back Ed!

What a pity indeed as the way from your hotel to the old town passes directly by my door! See you next time and Buen Camino, SY

€83,-
What a pity indeed as the way from your hotel to the old town passes directly by my door! See you next time and Buen Camino, SY
You bet SY. Next year we are on the Camino Portuguese and we will make certain to drop by and meet you!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am in Santiago and will be there around 5 pm today! Bringing my pal from Oz with me. Anyone else?

That is the explanation why there was a record number of pilgrims today at the meet-up ;-) BC SY

Monday to Friday from 16:00 - 18:00! Exceptions stated in list below!

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Sunday 16th July 2017 starting 15:00 ;-)

Monday, 17th July 2017

Tuesday, 18th July 2017

Wednesday, 19th July2017

Thursday, 20th July2017

Friday, 21th July 2017

Hello, I will be arriving in Santiago this Friday, July 21st. I will be attending the forum Meetup. I look forward to meeting you @SYates and who ever else will be attending!

Important!

How to find my place:

The address is TRAVESIA do Carme de Abeixo, there are two streets with similar names in the neighbourhood. At least one neighbour in those streets, as I discovered today, has had regularly pilgrims ringing her door bell. She was really gracious as I went over a short time ago to apologize, but please make sure you come to the right place. To find my house (and not hers):

Follow the Camino to Finisterre until you see the sign pointing to the albergue Roots&Boots pointing to the left.
My place is less than 100m down that street at number four on the right side.

• During forum meet-up times the door is open.
  • If you don't see my name on the door bell and the door is closed, you are at the wrong house!

Please help me to maintain good relationships with my neighbours and don't ring/knock at the wrong door ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry, tomorrow 11th August NO Forum Meet-Up, as I will be out of town ;-( Next one will be Monday 14th August. BC SY

Hi Everybody ;-) So far it seems that August is a nearly "forum member free" month here in Santiago ;-) Therefor I would suggest to make the meet-up at the moment "on demand only". So, if you are in town and want to meet, give me a shout. Buen Camino, SY

Hi Everybody ;-) So far it seems that August is a nearly "forum member free" month here in Santiago ;-) Therefor I would suggest to make the meet-up at the moment "on demand only". So, if you are in town and want to meet, give me a shout. Buen Camino, SY
Hi SY,
I'm in Santiago and would love to meet up. Is there a forum meet today, or could we agree another time?
Gracias
Michele :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Michele!

Officially there isn't one, but I am at home, so feel free to drop by between 16:00 and 18:00 ;-)

Hi Everybody Else!

I am off to walk the Camino Portugues in a few days from Porto, so no forum-meet-up until I am back end of the months. Sorry!

Buen Camino, SY

Hi Michele!

Officially there isn't one, but I am at home, so feel free to drop by between 16:00 and 18:00 ;-)

Hi Everybody Else!

I am off to walk the Camino Portugues in a few days from Porto, so no forum-meet-up until I am back end of the months. Sorry!

Buen Camino, SY
Excellent! See you later today :)

Hi Michele!

Hi Everybody Else!

Buen Camino, SY
Wise that you save Ingles to walk shorts stages with me one day :D

Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a kind offer! Thanks so much, Sybille. Just a couple of weeks to go before we begin our next Camino in Lisbon followed by the Ingles from El Ferrol. It is our plan to be in Santiago in early November. We will certainly look you up in the hopes of connecting at a meet-up at that time. In the meantime, have a wonderful time in Portugal.

What a kind offer! Thanks so much, Sybille. Just a couple of weeks to go before we begin our next Camino in Lisbon followed by the Ingles from El Ferrol. It is our plan to be in Santiago in early November. We will certainly look you up in the hopes of connecting at a meet-up at that time. In the meantime, have a wonderful time in Portugal.

@lindam ... Hi there pilgrims! I'm going to be in Lisbon on the 7th October, Porto on the 7th November and Santiago on the 20th November... dont suppose any of these dates co-incide do they :cool:

Hello Colleen,
Unfortunately, we'll miss you this time around. We will look forward to seeing you in Barcelona this winter or next spring, whenever you are coming this way! Happy walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Colleen,
Unfortunately, we'll miss you this time around. We will look forward to seeing you in Barcelona this winter or next spring, whenever you are coming this way! Happy walking.

Fingers crossed February! Looking forward to hearing all about your CP!

Forum Meet-Ups will re-start on Monday 2nd October ;-)

How to find my place:

The address is TRAVESIA do Carme de Abeixo, there are two streets with similar names in the neighbourhood. At least one neighbour in those streets, as I discovered today, has had regularly pilgrims ringing her door bell. She was really gracious as I went over a short time ago to apologize, but please make sure you come to the right place. To find my house (and not hers):

My place is less than 10m down that street at number four on the right side.

• If you don't see my name on the door bell and the door is closed, you are at the wrong house!

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Monday 2nd October
Tuesday 3rd October
Wednesday 4th October
Thursday 5th October
Friday 6th October

We plan to arrive in Santiago on October 16 and will be there for two days. Looking forward to joking you for tea. What time??????!

How to find my place:

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Monday 2nd October
Tuesday 3rd October
Wednesday 4th October
Thursday 5th October
Friday 6th October

I hope it goes well and you are still having the "Meet-ups" when I arrive next spring, seems like a great idea!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

How to find my place:

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

Monday 2nd October
Tuesday 3rd October
Wednesday 4th October
Thursday 5th October
Friday 6th October

T

It was great meeting Devon Mike today. Thanks for coming by.

Is there anyone else in town the next day or two?

<snip>

Stopping by to say "hello" in-person will be one of the things I'll be looking forward to next year when I restart my Camino. You are a truly generous embodiment of the Camino spirit. :D

By the way, I really, really enjoyed your book. A good resource of information and wisdom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I just updated the first post regarding next weeks dates and also changed the 'food offering' a bit now that the worst heat is over ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Yes, I just updated the first post regarding next weeks dates and also changed the 'food offering' a bit now that the worst heat is over ;-) Buen Camino, SY
It was lovely to meet you and sample your hospitality last week. Hope to catch up again next year.

Sorry guys, something came up, so no meet-up today, see you tomorrow ;-) BC SY

How to find my place:

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

I will provide: Tea/Coffee, soft drinks, cookies/biscuits etc. plus wine, cheese and crackers for those allergic to non-alcoholic drinks ;-)

Monday 9th October
Tuesday 10th October

Wednesday - no
Thursday 12th October
Friday 13th October

How to find my place:

S.Yates' Place

View attachment 34272

I will provide: Tea/Coffee, soft drinks, cookies/biscuits etc. plus wine, cheese and crackers for those allergic to non-alcoholic drinks ;-)

Monday 9th October
Tuesday 10th October

Wednesday - no
Thursday 12th October
Friday 13th October

Hi there, we hope to stop by tomorrow, October 18. We’ll bring Vino Tinto

Many thanks to you, your husband and Lydia for sharing your time and thoughts! BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back