• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum meeting place -- Pictures from the Tertulia

peregrina2000

Staff member
As many of you know, we (well, mainly Ivar) have established the Tertulia Café as our forum members meet-up place. Every night at 7 pm.

Details here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-meetup-in-santiago-de-compostela.32183/

I know it´s early in the season yet and the stream of forum members into Santiago hasn´t started in earnest, but today I heard from Durham Parish that he was in Santiago and had made it to the Tertulia.

Here´s what he wrote:

I made it to Café Tertulia. What a wonderful place, much better than the tourist traps near the Cathedral. And the music is super. Feel free to post these pictures on the forum.

Tertulia.jpg

Hope there will be more in the coming days. Ivar left a little book for your written thoughts, too. I´ll be there on July 14, Santiago willing! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As many of you know, we (well, mainly Ivar) have established the Tertulia Café as our forum members meet-up place. Every night at 7 pm.

Details here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-meetup-in-santiago-de-compostela.32183/

I know it´s early in the season yet and the stream of forum members into Santiago hasn´t started in earnest, but today I heard from Durham Parish that he was in Santiago and had made it to the Tertulia.

Here´s what he wrote:

I made it to Café Tertulia. What a wonderful place, much better than the tourist traps near the Cathedral. And the music is super. Feel free to post these pictures on the forum.

View attachment 17742

Hope there will be more in the coming days. Ivar left a little book for your written thoughts, too. I´ll be there on July 14, Santiago willing! Buen camino, Laurie

Hope to be there 13th May : In meantime. getting in some training!

Attachments

• Camino Suffolk.JPG
    Camino Suffolk.JPG
    542.2 KB · Views: 5
Just wanted to say that I've heard from some forum members who are concerned about having their pictures and/or names posted. I know there are some with religious objections, some with privacy objections, etc etc. So, I am adding this little caveat, though I assume most people would do this anyway -- if you take pictures for posting here, make sure everyone has consented to being online. Hoping to see more people gathering as the season progresses.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A thread about pictures from gatherings, yet only one post has pictures! Talk about a 90 degree turn in topic.:)

A thread about pictures from gatherings, yet only one post has pictures! Talk about a 90 degree turn in topic.:)
One here and another one from @Viranani in the other post about meeting place.

I was sure there will be more of them. We'll see in a few months...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi amigos
I arrived in sdc this morning and did a reccy to find cafe tertulia
Turns out it IS where others have described. Follow the arrows from square in front if the cathedral if you are heading to finisterra /it will come into view .

Nice ambience. I'll come back later at 7pm.
Annie

Yes, falcon, you're right. Maybe we are too small of a group to sustain this, but I think it's worth a try. Lots of things start out small on this camino of ours! I'll be there in mid July, maybe even celebrating someone's birthday with a celebratory drink in La Tertulia! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi amigos
I arrived in sdc this morning and did a reccy to find cafe tertulia
Turns out it IS where others have described. Follow the arrows from square in front if the cathedral if you are heading to finisterra /it will come into view .

Nice ambience. I'll come back later at 7pm.
Annie
ok, fingers crossed, maybe you will meet up with another forum member! Congrats, Annie, on reaching Santiago. Looking forward to hearing about the last few days. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe it would be easier and more noticeable for other forum members if moderators move all similar posts about Tertulia meet-up in already existing thread...
???

Just a suggestion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi returned at 7pm being the right time and took a pic ! Success
Sorry people if I have posted this in the wrong section but I gave up trying to work out where to put it. I did a search for the Cafe Tertulia.

I did see Angelo (I think that was his name) in the queue this morning for his Compostela .
He saw me take out my 'Australian Friends of the Camino ' credenciale and commented that he wasn't aware we produced one. I explained that it was sent up from Adelaide when I joined the AFOTC.
Also asked Angelo if he would be popping in to Cafe Tertulia tonight , but maybe Friday as he had arrangements tonight.

Buen Camino all.
Annie image.jpg

If I go slow. If I make it. If....
Al the what;)?? (Sorry Al, can't resist....well, may all your 'ifs' become 'whens'! (It's true. We can't count on anything.:confused:)

Maybe we are too small of a group to sustain this, but I think it's worth a try.
Yes...Second that, peregrina2000! Well...we're not too small altogether, but we do dribble into SdC one or two at a time.

The message I got in mid-April from friends was that people were preferring the option of going to evening mass and then hanging out with their walking buddies for one last hurrah...and on my first night in Santiago that's what I wanted to do too...and did.
But I hope it will be more of a happening thing with more folks in town.

Very nice pic, Annie, thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie
I agree with Virinani, in that even if you feel you want to pop in to Tertulia at 7pm., there are others you have met who are hoping to get together for a celebration of extended evening meal or tapas and it becomes a decision between sitting at a table alone or bring with companions elsewhere.

When I returned to Tertulua with a lady I had met about 2 or 3 days before, she loved the ambience of the place. She will be showing friends around sdc in a week from now so I thought we would go there first. It was packed, outside and in and in the little room to the side.

Owner was running! He was so busy, but smiling! Shame none of the crowd were from forum but - it will work I'm sure when the busier time arrives and there are more of us in sdc. Curiosity will kick in at least.
When I checked Camino places I think the day before most people were many klms from Sdc itself. So I was really surprised and pleased to bump into some one from the forum at least on the queue for Compostela !

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Al the what;)?? (Sorry Al, can't resist....well, may all your 'ifs' become 'whens'! (It's true. We can't count on anything.:confused:)
You are right of course, I should have said when. oops, my bad. :oops:But I am trying hard not to raise my hopes too high at the moment. But there another 11 days 2 hours and 22 minutes before I need to get in a taxi! So fingers crossed everyone. :)

Sorry, Al, I was razzing you. :oops:
Joking aside, under the circumstances saying 'if' is wiser. 11 days from now will come and then you'll know what is possible. So crossing fingers, thumbs, toes, etc...sending all good wishes your way, Al!!!

Cafe Tertulia on May 16. No one there but me so had a difficult time taking this picture. Anyway as you can see the beer is great.
I actually arrived on May 15 and decided to go to the pilgrims mass and see the botofumiero swing since it was a Friday night. Cut my camino a little short walking from
  • St Jean to Logroño
  • Burgos to Sahagun
  • Sarria to Santiago
Knees and back didn't like the down hills so skipped them.
20150516_185615.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cafe Tertulia on May 16. No one there but me so had a difficult time taking this picture. Anyway as you can see the beer is great.
I actually arrived on May 15 and decided to go to the pilgrims mass and see the botofumiero swing since it was a Friday night. Cut my camino a little short walking from
  • St Jean to Logroño
  • Burgos to Sahagun
  • Sarria to Santiago
Knees and back didn't like the down hills so skipped them.
View attachment 18565
Bravo for the pic taken and posted :)

And of course, congratulations for finishing Camino!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anyone in Santiago today?

Johan
Hola, Johan! Congratulations!!!

@Albertinho is still in Santiago. And @Maya Amanecer 2015 arrived today from Madrid&Frances combo. As she told me yesterday she will try to get to noon mass at the Cathedral. I suggested to both of them that you might meet later in the afternoon in Tertulia :)

Have a nice day!

Sorry, Al, I was razzing you. :oops:
Joking aside, under the circumstances saying 'if' is wiser. 11 days from now will come and then you'll know what is possible. So crossing fingers, thumbs, toes, etc...sending all good wishes your way, Al!!!
And now there is a train strike planned for my departure date to prevent me going to the airport! Oh joy, Oh bliss, Oh well. Something else to pray for - common sense in their pay negotiations! Still I should be glad that I am retired and even have the chance to go shouldn't I?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm here now! I think I missed everybody but I'll hang out awhile to see if anyone else shows up. It isn't even 7 yet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I gave up. :) But I'll still be in town the next few days so I'll keep an eye on these 2 threads just in case!

And now there is a train strike planned for my departure date to prevent me going to the airport! Oh joy, Oh bliss, Oh well. Something else to pray for - common sense in their pay negotiations! Still I should be glad that I am retired and even have the chance to go shouldn't I?
Oh, Geeeeeeezzzzz.
Hoping it all works out for you, Al!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I gave up. :) But I'll still be in town the next few days so I'll keep an eye on these 2 threads just in case!
Good idea, Edith. It seems only Durham Parish, Kamala, and I have actually been successful in meeting up here (we had a good time!). Perhaps pre-arranged meetings, with messages in this thread would be more successful?

Perhaps 5pm for happy hour would get more people interested? Just a thought...

Hi returned at 7pm being the right time and took a pic ! Success
Sorry people if I have posted this in the wrong section but I gave up trying to work out where to put it. I did a search for the Cafe Tertulia.

I did see Angelo (I think that was his name) in the queue this morning for his Compostela .
He saw me take out my 'Australian Friends of the Camino ' credenciale and commented that he wasn't aware we produced one. I explained that it was sent up from Adelaide when I joined the AFOTC.
Also asked Angelo if he would be popping in to Cafe Tertulia tonight , but maybe Friday as he had arrangements tonight.

Buen Camino all.
Annie View attachment 18502

HI Annie!

It was good to meet you at the Pilgrims Office!
Yeah I promised to go to Tertulia on Friday but was too exhausted and overslept during the Siesta. I woke up at 9pm. Too bad as I flew back to Sydney on Saturday the 16th.
Next time then.
Angelo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I arrive tomorrow 26 May and will be meeting with forum member @george.g. We will pop into the cafe to see if anyone else is there before heading off for a celebratory meal. George and I walked together from Málaga to Mérida on the camino Mozarabe but made our own way from that point, George taking the VdlP to Astorga and then the camino Frances, and I took the Sanábres. Have been walking since 8 April and enjoyed every minute.
Anyone else in town on the 26th?

Wow, Maggie, I can't believe you are almost finished. Seems like such a short while ago you were setting out from Malaga. Your blog has been great, and I'm sure many people will get lots of great tips from it. Including me, I hope, since this camino is high on my list. Enjoy the Tertulia, how about a picture?! Buen camino, Laurie

Wow, Maggie, I can't believe you are almost finished. Seems like such a short while ago you were setting out from Malaga. Your blog has been great, and I'm sure many people will get lots of great tips from it. Including me, I hope, since this camino is high on my list. Enjoy the Tertulia, how about a picture?! Buen camino, Laurie
I too was reading (and still am) Mags (@Magwood ) blog. Enjoy it the same and even more as last year's from Portugues.

But I'm a bit concerned about Tertulia. In last week I've counted about 12 forum members walked in or through SdC and no pictures posted. Maybe that's one thing a person don't want to be bothered with after walking 800kms (+) and I can understand that. But OTOH I can also understand that they're not feeling part of the (this in particular) community. Not strong enough anyway.
What do you think, Laurie?

K1

I too was reading (and still am) Mags (@Magwood ) blog. Enjoy it the same and even more as last year's from Portugues.

But I'm a bit concerned about Tertulia. In last week I've counted about 12 forum members walked in or through SdC and no pictures posted. Maybe that's one thing a person don't want to be bothered with after walking 800kms (+) and I can understand that. But OTOH I can also understand that they're not feeling part of the (this in particular) community. Not strong enough anyway.
What do you think, Laurie?

K1

Hi, Kinky, Here's what I think. This idea has a whole lot more appeal for people like us, who walk solitary caminos, than for people who have already made their "Camino family", because for them it's of course understandable that they want to spend time with that group before they have to leave. That may make the idea of meeting up with forum members kind of uninteresting, I don't know.

In any case, when I was in Lisbon and posted a note about seeing if anyone wanted to meet up, there was a total of 9 others and I think it was a lot of fun. So, it's certainly not the case that forum members aren't fun to be with. :)

Let's give it time, and if people post their intentions to head for the café, like Maggie just did, maybe others will join her. Or maybe it will just be an idea that dies, who knows. Buen camino, Laurie

I have a photo but am not having much luck uploading it - may have to wait until I get home.

Met with @george.g last evening, having spent nearly three weeks walking the Mozarabe together then nearly five weeks going our separate ways on the via de la plata. Sadly no other forum members present, but enjoyed reading comments from names I recognised.

Maybe the venue is a bit far out from the centre. It was further than I expected and I am familiar with the city.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
image.jpg
Three forum members meet up in Santiago at Cafe Tertulia! @Ness, @grayland and me!! We have all just walked the camino Primitivo. Grayland walked with his grandsons! Lovely to meet and share. Thanks for setting this up Laurie and Ivar

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we were at the Tertulia on 31st May there had been forum members there several days in the previous week. We left a note in the book as had others too. It is a bit far out if not staying in the centre of town, but that would be true of anything not actually in the centre. The other 2 nights that we were in Santiago we were involved in other ways so did not walk down again. No photo as we don't put ourselves up on-line, sorry to disappoint those who are keen on photos.
During the summer, as there are more members walking, I expect that there will be more chance of meeting others,.
Buen Camino and happy meetings.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Kinky, Here's what I think. This idea has a whole lot more appeal for people like us, who walk solitary caminos, than for people who have already made their "Camino family", because for them it's of course understandable that they want to spend time with that group before they have to leave. That may make the idea of meeting up with forum members kind of uninteresting, I don't know.

Except for the last sentence, I think you've nailed it Laurie. When this thread was first started I thought "If I ever get to Santiago again, I'll definitely go to the T". Little did I know that by the end of June I would be there - in Santiago, that is. But I didn't make it to the cafe. The first couple of days we were there we were catching up with the guys we had walked with, then the last afternoon my hubby felt grotty and slept, then we spent a short but very pleasant hour with annakappa and fraluchi......and got an early night because we were up before dawn the next day.
Additionally, my husband has absolutely nothing to do with this forum, and so the interest factor for him would have been somewhat limited. On our walk we spent a lot of time with a handful of other pilgrims and so when we then had the opportunity to just spend some time by ourselves, it ended up being a more attractive option!

I'm thinking I need to do a solo camino;-)

The cafe is only 300 meters or so from the cathedral. A 2 minite walk, if that. For those of us who have walked kms on end to reach nothing more than another stretch to walk, distance should not be the issue. Do we prefer anonymity? Perhaps, and fair enough.

The cafe is only 300 meters or so from the cathedral. A 2 minite walk, if that. For those of us who have walked kms on end to reach nothing more than another stretch to walk, distance should not be the issue. Do we prefer anonymity? Perhaps, and fair enough.
We were surprised how far it actually was from the description given - google gives it as 400mts and 5 minutes walk. For us it was the distance from our hotel back into town, plus the walk out to the Tertulia and tired/bruised feet that made a second visit questionable, together with the fact that we then slept late at siesta time. The third night we went to the English service and then had an early supper in the centre as we needed to pack for next morning's departure. Once the office moves then there may be more visits as folk will already be part way there. Also as has been said before it does depend on how many forum members are in town and who else they want to meet. We were glad to see the book that Ivar left as it did mean that we could see who had been before us. :)

Assuming all going well and that I survive and complete the Camino del Norte, I anticipate that I should be in attendance on or about the 16th of October.

Anyone else for mid-October?

Assuming all going well and that I survive and complete the Camino del Norte, I anticipate that I should be in attendance on or about the 16th of October.

Anyone else for mid-October?

It would be great if you made it October 15th. I hope to be there October 5th, 10th, and 15th. I fly home from Santiago de Compostela the morning of the 16th so I had better be there OCTOBER 15th!

I hope to see you then Old Koot (and hopefully some others too)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yesterday, Aug 04 I was in Tertulia 7-8PM. Nobody showed up but the owner told me already 8 people came that day. Two in the morning (they have heard about forum on Camino) and later six of them at about 6PM.

I wonder why folks ignore specific time (OK, evening mass) or why they don't read the specific threads on forum.

Maybe they just don't really want to meet other forum members :p

Well, here's the photo and answer to where the beer is is that by that time I've already drank two of them :p

Ultreia!

Attachments

• IMAG1669.jpg
    IMAG1669.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50

€60,-
It has been bucketing with rain here all day but my husband and I slogge through it to get to this delightful little cafe, albeit 15 minutes late.(we finally gave in and bought ponchos for our trek to Finisterre and Muxia so the sun should be back tomorrow - you're welcome!) nobody else from the forum but we wanted to support this cafe regardless. We enjoyed reading previous entries in the book and as recommended by earlier visitors, the gin and tonic was very um, therapeutic! By the way, the little place was very, very busy! We will pop in again next week before our return home. Likely Thursday evening. Thank you for organizing this spot. We like to get slightly away from the main tourist zone and this pointed us in a new direction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Oh gosh, wrong pic. But that does show our lovely drinks and the complimentary tapas we received! Now here is the photo of me looking slight deranged and tired!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Nice pics -- so glad to see that the dog bite seems to have faded in importance, and I'm not suggesting that it was the gin and tonic that did it.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think about our pretty unsuccessful attempt to establish a regular meeting time and place. Maybe after the "high season" comes to an end, we can assess and decide whether we should change things up, keep it the same, or drop it altogether. I do agree that even if no one else comes to chat with you, the Tertulia is an extremely nice place for food and drink. They open early for breakfast, and I LOVE their mixed grain croissants, so you can pop in on your way to Finisterre since it´s smack dab on the Camino. Buen camino, volleyjanice, hope your walk to Finisterre is lovely. Laurie

Oh gosh, wrong pic. But that does show our lovely drinks and the complimentary tapas we received! Now here is the photo of me looking slight deranged and tired!
Hi Janice - I think that I may have started the G&T conversations, so it's only fair that I should post my own 'deranged and tired' G&T photo from Cafe Tertulia!

IMG_4202.JPGIMG_4205.jpg

Glad you arrived safely in Santiago and enjoyed this excellent little cafe. We also didn't meet any other forum members there, but were still glad to have found it.

Darn, missed it by a Camino. I will be in SJPdP on the 7th!

Was today the fifth of September in Tertulia but earlier than seven. Nice place indeed. Well pm me if someone makes it tomorrow or monday. I only leave on tuesday. My hostal is just right around corner of Tertulia.
Oh had a good coffee and carrot cake at the cafe.

Attachments

• 20150905_173507.jpg
    20150905_173507.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 16
Was today the fifth of September in Tertulia but earlier than seven. Nice place indeed. Well pm me if someone makes it tomorrow or monday. I only leave on tuesday. My hostal is just right around corner of Tertulia.
Oh had a good coffee and carrot cake at the cafe.
Well done, Sabs! Wish you well, have a safe journey home!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I told my husband about this meeting place and he thought he knew where it was.... To cut a long story short, we never found it :oops:
Next time! :) ;)

Hi Janice - I think that I may have started the G&T conversations, so it's only fair that I should post my own 'deranged and tired' G&T photo from Cafe Tertulia!

View attachment 20577View attachment 20578

Glad you arrived safely in Santiago and enjoyed this excellent little cafe. We also didn't meet any other forum members there, but were still glad to have found it.
I love it! Great picture and great gin and tonic ☺️

This is pretty late but here is our follow up visit. Couldn't fit in an evening stop since we were indulging at the Parador! Settled for coffee and breakfast after arriving on the early bus from Muxia.image.jpg

You know Laurie, even if we can't all get there at the same time, I'm getting a kick out of seeing everyone's pics as a steady trickle of Forum Peregrinos wander into the Tertulia. And having been there, the photos take me back.
I think it's worth keeping the Tertulia as an informal CF [edit Camino Forum:)] meeting place, as we are doing it now. Sure, we had hoped for more numbers--but I guess at any given time more of us are out here in cybercaminoland than are actually on the ground....
(BTW, everyone, they have great black and green tea, for those who like it and have been having withdrawal symptoms....)

Last edited:
This is pretty late but here is our follow up visit. Couldn't fit in an evening stop since we were indulging at the Parador! Settled for coffee and breakfast after arriving on the early bus from Muxia.View attachment 21614

Oh my, I just missed you. I stayed at Roots and Boots around the corner on October 3 & 4 and I was there at 7:00pm on October 3rd, then breakfast on the 4th and again at 7:00pm. I hope you had a great Camino!

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back