A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

forum question

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (June 2015)
How do i stop receiving emails every time someone replies to a thread i have joined??I went to alert preferences but couldn't find it there

Thanks

hunsta

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
May 7th 2015
Go to the top of the page. You will see a button to "Unwatch thread"

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
If you want to continue to see alerts for a specific thread but not get an email, the quickest way that I have found is:
  1. go to the thread, and at the top right hand corner, click on 'Unwatch Thread', then select the button 'Unwatch Thread' in the dialogue box.
  2. you should now see that the message in the top right corner is 'Watch Thread'. Click on it again.
  3. before clicking on 'Watch Thread', select the radio button option 'without receiving email notifications'. Only then select 'Watch Thread'
  4. Done! You will get alerts when you log on to the forum, but not in your email box.
If you want that to be your default setting, go to your alerts settings, as described already in this thread.

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (June 2015)
Have a look here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/alert-preferences You see that, and many other options, when you click on your own name in the top right corner of the forum menu. Hope that helps, SY
I'm either being a bit thick or something is amiss here.
To be clear, i want this as a default setting, not to have to unfollow every thread.When i go to the preferences, i see only an option to uncheck 'receive an alert when someone....'
I have already unchecked this for 'replies to a watched thread' but am still receiving endless emails.

What is a bit strange is that there doesn't seem to be option just to not receive emails. I am happy to receive alerts on the forum, i just don't want to get a million emails every day.
Thanks again

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future

You might also need to 'unwatch' threads you have previously, unknowingly, subscribed to. See @dougfitz 's post above. SY

Camino(s) past & future
To be clear, i want this as a default setting, not to have to unfollow every thread.When i go to the preferences, i see only an option to uncheck 'receive an alert when someone....'
I think you might have gone to the page 'Alert Preferences'. Try the 'Preferences' page for the email settings. This doesn't appear to be retrospective. You may not want to unset it for every thread, but that is what you might need to do. Unless someone else has found a function that will allow you to do this, I don't know of a way. I would be happy to be proved wrong on this:(

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future

Perhaps it is now time to mention @ivar in this thread ;-) to send him an alert and hope he can untangle this ;-) SY

On the Preference page Doug mentioned above all the boxes should be unticked.

• Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply ..... and receive email notifications of replies
  • Automatically watch media that you add or when you comment ,,,,, and receive email notifications
  • Automatically watch albums that you create or when you comment ..... and receive email notifications
  • Automatically watch categories that you add media to ..... and receive email notifications
  • Display unviewed media count above navigation tab

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Click on youur forum name at the top right. Then Preferences, then Options. You can uncheck "Automically follow threads" and "And receive emails".

You can also set whether you want simple alerts, which are much less intrusive.

Camino(s) past & future
What is a bit strange is that there doesn't seem to be option just to not receive emails. I am happy to receive alerts on the forum, i just don't want to get a million emails every day.
I'm not sure how many threads you could have watched since you joined. At this stage, there are only about five threads you will have been automatically joined because of your posts, so unsetting those should not be difficult, and then set the default in preferences so that you don't receive any more email alerts.

If you have specifically used the 'Watch Thread' without realising that you needed to select the setting to not receive emails, life might be a bit more complicated. In that case, I would suggest you set your default preferences first before resetting the individual settings on each thread in the way I described above.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
To clear the alerts from a currently watched thread go to Watched Forums. Check the boxes and then from the drop down box and choose the option which you need (without e-mail alerts) then OK and the alerts will disappear. I think the other settings maybe don't affect thread that you are already watching.

Camino(s) past & future
To clear the alerts from a currently watched thread go to Watched Forums. Check the boxes and then from the drop down box and choose the option which you need (without e-mail alerts) then OK and the alerts will disappear. I think the other settings maybe don't affect thread that you are already watching.
Actually, if you go to your profile page, you need to select 'Watched Threads' rather than 'Watched Forums'. In the top right hand corner there is the text 'Manage Watched Threads'. Click on that and select 'disable email notification'. You will then get a dialogue box to confirm that you want to continue.

This will disable all email notifications.

Thank you, Tia, for this.

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (June 2015)
I'm not sure how many threads you could have watched since you joined. At this stage, there are only about five threads you will have been automatically joined because of your posts, so unsetting those should not be difficult, and then set the default in preferences so that you don't receive any more email alerts.

If you have specifically used the 'Watch Thread' without realising that you needed to select the setting to not receive emails, life might be a bit more complicated. In that case, I would suggest you set your default preferences first before resetting the individual settings on each thread in the way I described above.
if i go to my profile page, i can't see a 'watched threads' option.
Anyway, i have now found the email disable under preferences rather than thread alerts.
Thanks for all your help...but have to say, its not the clearest website around!

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (June 2015)
who's talking about expectations? Just thought it may be useful feedback that things could be a little clearer.
anyway, not really planning a camino, just doing one :)
Nice to meet people here though and pick up the vibe

Camino(s) past & future
Del Norte (June 2015)
Hmm, do i smell a little defensiveness here?I think people may be confusing a little helpful feedback as criticism?
If its not helpful, then just ignore it, its not really a big deal.
Anyway, seems like the issue is sorted now.....back to the Camino :)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%