• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Forum Store Masks

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Looking at the website of an "attraction" that I hope to visit on my September 2021 walk, I found this: "MANDATORY MASK -- The use of a mask is mandatory for everyone, only valid surgical masks and FFP2 or FFP3 masks, identifiable CE marking WITHOUT VALVE."

Are any of the masks sold through the Camino Forum store "FFP2 or FFP3"?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looking at the website of an "attraction" that I hope to visit on my September 2021 walk, I found this: "MANDATORY MASK -- The use of a mask is mandatory for everyone, only valid surgical masks and FFP2 or FFP3 masks, identifiable CE marking WITHOUT VALVE."

Are any of the masks sold through the Camino Forum store "FFP2 or FFP3"?
I found a great source in the US of KN95 masks made by Powecom, which are very comfortable to wear and quite breathable. I bought the black ones, which I think are more stylish. 😅

They also carry the standard disposal masks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are the actual types of masks ever checked?? I doubt it..... I'm sure ivar's ones are of excellent quality and sufficient. If anyone is aware of sanctions being applied because their mask wasn't of the appropriate standard it would be useful to know. I doubt it.

Are the actual types of masks ever checked?? I doubt it..... I'm sure ivar's ones are of excellent quality and sufficient. If anyone is aware of sanctions being applied because their mask wasn't of the appropriate standard it would be useful to know. I doubt it.
Many of these rules rely on the willingness of visitors to simply comply with the rules as they have been set, without the necessity of any threats of a fine or other sanction.

BTW, it is fairly easy to distinguish a cloth mask from a surgical mask (often blue and not made of cloth with a fancy pattern) and a FFP2 mask (typical form). There are handy information posters:

Mascarillas.jpg

I saw a picture of surgical masks given to teachers by the Xunta in Galicia, they were blue in colour and on the top bit where the plastic strip goes to mould over the nose they had Xacobeo 2021, if I am going to wear a mask in August then that if it became available to the general public would be my preferred one to take with me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found a great source in the US of KN95 masks made by Powecom, which are very comfortable to wear and quite breathable. I bought the black ones, which I think are more stylish. 😅

Thanks so much for the link, @trecile. I have been kind of paralyzed looking at the overwhelming numbers of masks for sale. With all the fakes out there, it is good to have the assurance that the seller is selling FDA-authorized KN95 masks.

Thanks so much for the link, @trecile. I have been kind of paralyzed looking at the overwhelming numbers of masks for sale. With all the fakes out there, it is good to have the assurance that the seller is selling FDA-authorized KN95 masks.
One of my younger brothers bought KN95 masks to wear on the airplane when he was flying to Mexico in January. He purchased them from a medical supply store, which had provided me with some of my essential recovery material after my surgery. I think the store was on a list of where to get the things on the other list. But I would expect that any medical supplies store would have them, or refer a would-be purchaser to another which did. Only I would not buy something like that online: too much temptation for the greedy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I went down the rabbit hole one day of trying to figure out where to buy legitimate KN95 masks, and discovered the site. Their prices are good and they ship for free too! The KN95 masks with ear loops instead of the band behind the head are more comfortable for me, and if I need to make the mask tighter I can tie a little knot in the loops.

Ordered some to try 'em out. Cheaper if ordered direct from the company than through Amazon.
Right, and if you order from Amazon you aren't guaranteed that you aren't getting a knock off. The company that makes the mask has a way to check to make sure that they masks that you receive aren't fake on their site. Look for "Anti-Fake Check" in the green strip under the banner picture on the site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Test ordered 20 on your recommendation, black, directly from the company. They were quickly delivered, and fit wonderfully well. Satisfied customer! Will order more.... But FYI I discovered yesterday that I can also buy the very same masks, from the very same company, white not black, at my local office supply store. Price not quite as good, but comparable.

Last edited:
I found a great source in the US of KN95 masks made by Powecom, which are very comfortable to wear and quite breathable.
Just to say that I have just put in a second order for both N95 and KN95. Prices have dropped and they really do ease my concern even though I am fully vaccinated.

Very grateful to you @trecile for providing the link.

I just got this email from the company:

We wanted to personally thank you for your order and your confidence in us!

(BTW, this is not an automated reply 😊 – I just sent this myself)

Please read the below if you have a moment. Thank you!

We are so proud to be able to bring the FDA Authorized Powecom KN95 Respirator Mask and the NIOSH approved Harley N95 masks to our customers.

We are the ONLY LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR in the United States for the Powecom FDA Appendix A Authorized KN95 mask products - We stock significant quantities to ship immediately from our Mt. Vernon, NY warehouse and distribution center

You can trust us 100%! ….We are a family owned business and have been since 1938 and our parent company (Ball Chain Mfg.) is the world's largest manufacturer of ball chains (www.ballchain.com) that you see on military dog tags, ceiling fans, handbags, light pulls, etc.. We make over 3 million feet per week (all of the ball chains are Made in the USA). Our company started in a small garage in the Bronx, NY back the 1930s by Bill Taubner’s (our President) great grandfather and his grandfather. We provide all the ball chains for the military and we take tremendous pride in everything we do.

Our company also just issued an authenticity statement to provide additional comfort and confidence to our customers and reinforce our commitment to transparency and supply chain security/integrity. Authenticity Statement - click here

We were just in The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/technology/personaltech/buy-real-n95-mask.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210216&instance_id=27193&nl=the-morning&regi_id=89249769&segment_id=51792&te=1&user_id=cc17fe6c451157b2b61bcc67d0b9b8f8

We are proud to share with you that our company was just recently honored for leadership by the Westchester County Assoc.
https://news.yahoo.com/ball-chain-manufacturing-co-inc-142500718.html

Maxim also just wrote a great story on our endeavor
https://www.maxim.com/gear/us-ball-chain-manufacturer-pivots-to-provide-masks-during-pandemic

Please help us spread the word and if there’s anyone you know that we can help, pleasesend them our info and please feel free to share our contact info as well. We so appreciate it!! Please share and post our info on social media, if possible. Posting our website would be a huge help https://bonafidemasks.com/face-masks/kn95-respirators/ thank you!!

I want to make it easy so here are some share links to Facebook and Twitter if you want to share that way. Facebook and twitter

We are really trying so hard to help and distinguish ourselves from all the bad actors!

Please don’t hesitate to call or email Bill or myself with any questions or comments. We arehere to help!

Bill’s cell # is 914 720 3164 – call anytime 😊.

Thanks again,

Bill Taubner, President

and

Mike Ming, EVP Sales

914-664-7500 ext 105
914-714-0254 cell

I didn't see the Powecom mask listed on the CDC list of NIOSH approved masks, though they look like they're fine to me..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

They're probably as good as the fabric masks, though. When I worked in a lab, I was required to wear N95 with over-the-head straps and to have the nose piece professionally fitted. But those wouldn't be masks you'd want to wear out in the real world.

I didn't see the Powecom mask listed on the CDC list of NIOSH approved masks, though they look like they're fine to me..
The ones that they sell as the N95 NIOSH approved are made by Harley. The KN95 Powecom used to be on the emergency approval list. The BonaFideMasks website explains:

You may have heard that the FDA recently revoked Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA) for KN95 masks, which are manufactured to Chinese standards. While KN95s are no longer authorized for healthcare workers given the abundant supply of N95 respirators, they are still appropriate for consumer use, and the Powecom KN95 efficacy (BFE) has tested similar to NIOSH approved N95s. The Powecom KN95 is of the highest quality.

I think those masks are fine. The FDA and CDC don't trust the consistency in production of the Powecom. But I agree that they are good for consumer use. Anyway, the only masks that really offer stronger protection than the ones most of us use have head straps; not ear loops. If we are going to use them for hours at a time and re-use them, we have to compromise and consider comfort and convenience, too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.