• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Tips - Resources section

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
For background about Forum Tips, see here. This thread will be devoted to understanding the Resources section of the forum.

I have to admit that I'm starting this thread without having done the necessary work to really understand the Resources section. However, @BombayBill asked about it, and @David Tallan gave a very helpful answer to his question, so I'd like to get started with the discussion.

Please add any suggestions or questions, and gradually we can develop a user's guide to the Resources section.

First, here is what @ivar said in 2013 when he set up the section.
This will be where those that have Camino related products can present their offerings. It will be separate from the forum, but still give pilgrims looking for services/products a chance to browse categories and content. This way, we don't mix promotions of products and camino talk...

For each resource you can upload a document (pdfs for example) and the possibility of creating revisions exists (versions of the document). If your product exists on an external website, you can link to it as well. Play with it and see what you think.
Since that time, many categories have been added and the resources have grown to include a huge assortment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
can you also clarify "Resources"? Is this an where I can post sources of information on particular routes? What I mean is not necessarily resources published / written by me but also freely available information that others might find useful.
To answer this question (which was first asked on another thread), I would say a qualified "yes, but...". Most of our exchange of information is done on normal threads in the appropriate section (forum) for the particular route or for "topics that apply to all routes". I think that is where most people spend most of their forum time. So if you find a link or item that others might find useful, I would suggest you post it on a regular thread.

However, it is a good question, about what should go into "Resources" and what shouldn't. I'll look into it further.

Re: "Resources"

I've seen "Resources" used for reference information sources that are meant to stick around and be updated and are stored within the Forum itself, rather than elsewhere on the Internet. Things like lists of albergues on the various different caminos, camino packing checklists, or guides. Often things that might be downloaded and used separately from the Forum.

Here's an example of how I used this feature/functionality.

I posted a fairly extensive list of camino-related videos. But keeping the list up-to-date within the thread was a bit challenging. For the first little while, as I discovered new videos, I could edit the the original post. But that ability is temporary. Of course, after that, I could note in posts farther down the thread if new videos were added or old videos were no longer available. But that means everyone has to read the entire thread and discussion to figure out what is and isn't available. Eventually, I figured out it was easier to put the list into a document and upload it to the "Resources" section. There I can always edit it and update the list. I also post updates in the original discussion thread, to let people know that I've changed the resource and to create a space for discussion of any changes. But the reference document is a "resource".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have moved the above posts from the thread on Forum tips - My Account. Let's see if we can gather information on how to use the Resources most effectively. I have edited the first post extensively, so you might want to read it again.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.