• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forum Tips - Your account

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
For background about Forum Tips, see here. This thread will be devoted to understanding the Your Account section of the forum software.

To access Your Account, click on your Username at the top right of your screen, and you’ll see a dropdown list of options.
Account dropdown.JPG
A few hints follow...
  1. First a note on username. Pick a name that will be your public identity on the forum. In public posts, it is best to refer to people by their chosen username, even if you happen to know their real name, perhaps from private Conversations. Internet privacy is important for some members.
  2. Click on your username to go to your Profile page. Under Privacy, you can control who sees the details on your Profile page. Note that there is a blue bar with 4 separate tabs, including
    • Profile posts – Sometimes people post here when it would be better to post on another thread or send you a private Conversation. (Profile posts are like public conversations between 2 people.) I think you can delete their posts on your own page. In Privacy, you can choose to disallow posts on your Profile page.
    • About – This is based mainly on information you’ve provided here in Your Account. Anyone can see who all your followers are.
  3. News feed - Posts by the people that you have chosen to follow, if any. Your can view Your News feed more conveniently under What's new on the top blue banner [Mobile phone: Hamburger menu at top > What's new > Your news feed]
  4. Account details- This is an important page. Here, you can change
    • User name (This change goes for approval by Ivar or a moderator before it takes effect. Once changed, all of your past and future posts will show your new name. Your old name will remain in any quoted text in the posts of others.)
    • Email address and email Preferences
    • Custom title – Tired of being a ‘New member’? Change your title, but please nothing too crazy.
    • Other optional information about you that will show on your profile page, depending partly on the Privacy controls you have selected.
    • Year of a past or future Camino - This is a way to reduce spam accounts. In the past, we could list our Camino history here, but it occupied a lot of space. Now you can only provide that list in your Signature. Members who already had that list still have it, but they are encouraged to enter just one year (maybe last Camino or next planned one) and move all the details to the Signature. If you enter a year here now, any previous listing will disappear. I have demonstrated that!
  5. Privacy - There are various privacy options. One interesting one is whether you want people to be able to know exactly what thread you were last seen viewing.
  6. Signature - This is where you can provide your blog URL and list the routes and dates of past and present Caminos. Just keep it to “three lines tall” when it appears under a post. (That is Forum Rule #11.)
  7. Account upgrades - Another important page! It is where you can make your donation to help support the forum. There are several options. Scroll to the bottom to see when your current status as a Donating Member expires.
  8. Following - You’ll see a list of the members you have chosen to follow, and you can unfollow them here. Their posts will appear in your News feed (see note 2 above). You can see who is following you by going to your Profile page, clicking on About, and scrolling down.
  9. Ignoring - These are the people who annoy you enough that you don’t want to see their posts. I’m not sure of how effective this is, since I have never ignored ANYBODY (yet). I am not aware of any way you can see who is ignoring you, although I was able to guess in one case!
If members decide that they would like their forum accounts deleted, they should send a message to Ivar with the request. After deletion, all of their posts will remain, but they'll be attributed to "Deleted member ###".

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How to add a banner to your profile

If you don't know what a banner is here's an example. You can see a member's banner when you tap or click on their user name.

Screenshot_20201220-081123_Firefox_copy_418x334.jpg

To add a banner to your profile go to your account by clicking on your picture at the top of the page. Then "account details"

Screenshot_20201220-081342_Firefox_copy_418x642.jpg

Then scroll down to "profile banner" under "avatar." You can upload a picture there.

20201220_081236_copy_418x548.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I looked all over the site and couldn’t figure this one out. How do I change the status from ”New Member“ to ”Member”? I think I’ve been a member for about three years.

Hello, I looked all over the site and couldn’t figure this one out. How do I change the status from ”New Member“ to ”Member”? I think I’ve been a member for about three years.
Click on your username at the top right, then on Account Details. Scroll down page and see "Custom title", which you can edit.

Option 9 works like a dream. It’s recommended for anyone with hypertension. Threads sometimes appear slightly stilted; but you can take comfort in that you’re not missing anything insightful. I suspect I frequently merit ignoring.

The (never to be ignored) @C clearly can take comfort in that moderators cannot be ignored. (Someone told me, obviously)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
  • About – This is based mainly on information you’ve provided here in Your Account. Anyone can see who all your followers are.
I can't see any About heading anywhere. I'm clearly not looking in the right place.

I can't see any About heading anywhere. I'm clearly not looking in the right place.
Go to your account; click on your username; ‘about’ is a tab on that page.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you have to click on the username, then that opens a menu and you have to ignore all the menu options and click on the username again!!
That is one route to it. Alternatively you click on your avatar - wherever you see it - then on your username and you will see the About option.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.