• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Forum upgrade this morning

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

The forum software was upgraded this morning to a new version.

Most things are the same... (and that is a good thing), but you might see a few differences. Round avatars for example.

Bookmarks
Another new thing that this new version incorporates is Bookmarks. Donating members have had access to plugin that gave this capability for a while, but now everyone have it. This new bookmark system is built in to the software and will be around for a long time. The plugin that has been available for the donating members is still available, but it might not be available "forever", so if you have a lot of bookmarks there it might be a good idea to find a way to get them over into this new system.

How do i bookmark a post?
At the top right of every post there is a small bookmark icon. You an se it below, just to the left of "#1". Tap it and you will be asked to add a note for this bookmark. It could be "good idea to keep shoes dry" or whatever you like.

To see the list of bookmarks that you have collected, go to your profile page and click the "bookmarks list" link.

Another new thing with the new forum software is the idea of "Reaction Score". This is not important, but I mention it here since I know I will get questions about it. So what is it?

Before we had "Like", now we have reactions...

(To see these reactions, just hover your mouse over the "like" link... on mobile/tablet I think the "Like" is the only thing available)

The "Like" is a +1. The "love" is a+1, the others is a zero (if I do not remember wrong). In theory I could add a "thumbs down" and give it a -1. I will not do that, but you get the idea.

So the reaction score is the sum of all the reactions you have received. I know some people do not like this, and I understand. This comes with the forum software and it is not important.

There are some more new features (like push notifications) but have not had time to look at this yet... maybe tomorrow.

Now: Lukas, dinner, some play and bed.

Happy planning pilgrims!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Dear all,

Most things are the same... (and that is a good thing), but you might see a few differences. Round avatars for example.

Bookmarks
Another new thing that this new version incorporates is Bookmarks. Donating members have had access to plugin that gave this capability for a while, but now everyone have it. This new bookmark system is built in to the software and will be around for a long time. The plugin that has been available for the donating members is still available, but it might not be available "forever", so if you have a lot of bookmarks there it might be a good idea to find a way to get them over into this new system.

How do i bookmark a post?
At the top right of every post there is a small bookmark icon. You an se it below, just to the left of "#1". Tap it and you will be asked to add a note for this bookmark. It could be "good idea to keep shoes dry" or whatever you like.
View attachment 51582

To see the list of bookmarks that you have collected, go to your profile page and click the "bookmarks list" link.
View attachment 51583

Another new thing with the new forum software is the idea of "Reaction Score". This is not important, but I mention it here since I know I will get questions about it. So what is it?

Before we had "Like", now we have reactions...

(To see these reactions, just hover your mouse over the "like" link... on mobile/tablet I think the "Like" is the only thing available)

The "Like" is a +1. The "love" is a+1, the others is a zero (if I do not remember wrong). In theory I could add a "thumbs down" and give it a -1. I will not do that, but you get the idea.

So the reaction score is the sum of all the reactions you have received. I know some people do not like this, and I understand. This comes with the forum software and it is not important.

There are some more new features (like push notifications) but have not had time to look at this yet... maybe tomorrow.

Now: Lukas, dinner, some play and bed.

Happy planning pilgrims!
Ivar
Curiosity: my preference was/is set to not show when I am online. I am being shown as online, by myself at least. Is there something thing I have missed/

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Thanks for reply. I was unchecked, have been for months. I couldn’t therefore uncheck, but I did save. Maybe I need to do this on laptop? here is another query: why do I have this information showing: (I mean the German text)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for reply. I was unchecked, have been for months. I couldn’t therefore uncheck, but I did save. Maybe I need to do this on laptop? here is another query: why do I have this information showing: (I mean the German text)
View attachment 51606
The german text is a bug related to the upgrade... it is a plugin that need to be updated to show the text in english. In short I think it is related to the statistics program I use to count user visits (Matomo) to the forum. You can un-cech this box to be not counted and be even more anonymous. My german is not the best, but that is the short version. I hope the plugin gets updated soon and the text translated.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may have seen, I have activated "Push notifications" on the forum. This works on most browser, but it does not work on Safari (iPhone, iPad). So only Android or any browser that is not Safari on a computer.

What is it?
You know the noticiations you see on the forum up at the top right (red with a number in it)? It lets you know when there is a new PM you have not seen or that someone has replied on a thread you are participating on.

Push Notifications shows you these noticifaction in the browser even if you are not on the forum.. they ususlly slide in from the right (depends on your browser).

If you acticate it, and later change your mind, you can de-activate them here:

Last edited:

NancyLee

Camino(s) past & future
First Camino Mar-April 2018
Ivar, I also appreciate what you do for us!
One question, I was getting the weekly emails up until last week - not sure what happened. When trying to get back in the recipient list, I could only get on the ‘daily’ option. I prefer weekly. Can you help? NancyLee

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Ivar, I also appreciate what you do for us!
One question, I was getting the weekly emails up until last week - not sure what happened. When trying to get back in the recipient list, I could only get on the ‘daily’ option. I prefer weekly. Can you help? NancyLee
From this end everyting look ok.. are you getting other forum e-mails? PM me if you want..

chinacat

Veteran Member
I can’t see the little green ‘head and shoulders?’ at the base of my avatar as I write this post, but it seems to be there most of the time.
I’ve searched high and low, but can’t find anything to explain its sudden appearance 🤔

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I can’t see the little green ‘head and shoulders?’ at the base of my avatar as I write this post, but it seems to be there most of the time.
I’ve searched high and low, but can’t find anything to explain its sudden appearance 🤔

Same here?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
This is you online status. You can turn it off here:

Please not that once you have turned it off (remember to save the preference page), you will still see it green, but other users will not see it.

NancyLee

Camino(s) past & future
First Camino Mar-April 2018
From this end everyting look ok.. are you getting other forum e-mails? PM me if you want..
Would love to end the daily emails but afraid if I do so, would see me unsubscribed for ‘weekly’ only,
Thanks Ivar
NancyLee

Steven Light

Camino(s) past & future
CF (May - July 2018)
Meseta (October 2019)
Norte (Summer 2020)
I am no longer receiving either daily or weekly emails and am subscribed to both. Any idea why or what I should do? Thanks!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I am no longer receiving either daily or weekly emails and am subscribed to both. Any idea why or what I should do? Thanks!
I'm having this problem, too, yet the box is still checked to receive them on my android.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hmm.. yours as well have the status of "Delivered". Did you check your spam folder?
No, nothing in spam. No worries. I may try unchecking the box, then rechecking it.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Strange... I am sending these e-mails. If you want to use a different e-mail address let me know.. :-(
I unchecked and now rechecked the 2 boxes. Let's wait a day and see. Thanks for replying.

Steven Light

Camino(s) past & future
CF (May - July 2018)
Meseta (October 2019)
Norte (Summer 2020)
I also tried checking and unchecking... twice over the past ever sl days. No luck. Also not in spam.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I don't know why, but about an hour ago all of them showed up in my email at once! Weird.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hmmm..... it is strange since my e-mailing software see it as Sent and Delivered to the recipient for both of you :-(
No worries, Ivar. I'm getting used to it without the email notifications.☺ Less work to clean it up!

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
This is you online status. You can turn it off here:

Please not that once you have turned it off (remember to save the preference page), you will still see it green, but other users will not see it.
Hi Ivar,
  1. what is the Members Map we can opt out of as part of our online status?
  2. am I correct to assume the absence of a tick in a box equates to a default ‘Opt Out’, except specifically for the aforementioned Members’ Map option?
Thanks, James

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ivar,
  1. what is the Members Map we can opt out of as part of our online status?
  2. am I correct to assume the absence of a tick in a box equates to a default ‘Opt Out’, except specifically for the aforementioned Members’ Map option?
Thanks, James
The membership map is this one:
(You get to it from the "Members" menue at the top)

If you check the box and save, you will not show up on the map:

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@ivar ,

I think the problem lies in which email system/servers some are using: They may be delayed in a poorly organised configuration etc. Since the vast majority of your email are going smooth, there's not much you can do about it. Just a thought...

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
@ivar ,

I think the problem lies in which email system/servers some are using: They may be delayed in a poorly organised configuration etc. Since the vast majority of your email are going smooth, there's not much you can do about it. Just a thought...
I think you are right... still people can get in touch if they have problems :)

Nomad Pack

Tough times are coming, you need to open your eyes
Camino(s) past & future
Everywhere with Donkeys and Dogs
Hey Ivar,
Maybe your already using postmaster tools but if not check it out, I find the dashboard statistic's very useful, the delivery problem could just be a temporary rate limit because of the software upgrade confusing googles servers but it should fix itself soon enough. This I'm assuming you have a lot of gmail subscribers.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Ivar,
Maybe your already using postmaster tools but if not check it out, I find the dashboard statistic's very useful, the delivery problem could just be a temporary rate limit because of the software upgrade confusing googles servers but it should fix itself soon enough. This I'm assuming you have a lot of gmail subscribers.
I am using Mandrill for e-mails (the forum send over 100.000 e-mails / month) and it works well. For example, if a user (or e-mail priovider of user) marks my e-mails as Spam, my system gets notified and stops sending e-mails to that user. If this is a mistake, I can re-set this...

But if my system has delivered the e-mai to the users e-mail provider, there is not much else I can do :) . Ohh well.. with the new Push Notifications hopefully users will get notified 😬

Nomad Pack

Camino(s) past & future
Ohh well.. with the new Push Notifications hopefully users will get notified
Yes thank you for that, I only have 6gb a month so it should save me some data, and battery, I had been using the gmail notifications from the forums alert emails so I could just turn the data on for a few minutes and know if there was anything without refreshing pages 😰

Nomad Pack

Camino(s) past & future
Is there a way however to set the push notifications to just refresh the current tab without opening a new one every time. I use chrome

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
Dear all,