• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forums about the Appalachian Trail?

Michael Swanberg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017);
Camino Portuguese (2019);
Camino Frances (2021)
This August, I hope to begin walking the Appalachian Trail. This forum was invaluable when I was preparing to walk the Camino, and I wonder if any peregrinos who have also walked the AT have suggestions for AT forums or resources. Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I haven’t walked it but maybe one day. I’ve done a bit of reading in the past and it used to be White Blaze was a popular forum but it doesn’t seem well used now. Not sure where people have migrated to.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is a good place to start though if you’ve not checked them out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked it last year and used a combination of YouTube videos and the Facebook AT 2022 group for initial research and planning. There should be a 2023 group running now.

Since you're starting in August, I'm assuming your either going to flip flop or head SOBO. There are different FB groups for those hikers since there are unique challenges they will face.

This August, I hope to begin walking the Appalachian Trail. This forum was invaluable when I was preparing to walk the Camino, and I wonder if any peregrinos who have also walked the AT have suggestions for AT forums or resources. Buen Camino!
I have walked sections of the AT. A good tool was the App Far Out. You pay a small fee but the App works in airplane mode and gives you a lot of great information. Also, if you plan to stay in shelters some of them require reservations and book up quickly. To climb Mt Katahdin you also need reservations. There are several good guide books. Probably the most popular is The AT Guide by David “AWOL” Miller. Good Luck!

I waked a bit last April with a guy who had done the entire AT from Georgia to Mt. Katahdin. Fascinating gent. He wrote a book which I subesequently read titled, "The Adventures of a Trail Stooge." Good read.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can provide some good information on the Appalachian Trail. We have a group the has been walking the AT in sections since 2014, we have walked as far as Pennsylvania from Amicalola Falls. We have done 5, 7, and 10 days at a time, and like anyone who has hiked the Appalachian Trail (is NO Camino) it is not an easy trail even in the easiest sections! I have done a lot of research, have books and maps. Just for information the two hardest states out of the 14 you will be hiking are Georgia and Maine, even though Pennsylvania doesn’t stay behind. If you do a thru hike you’re possibly looking at 4 pairs of boots or trail runners, I personally tried both and like the boots better on rocky terrain and there’s plenty of that. A thru hiker normally starts at the end of February if going northbound (NOBO). You will encounter snow, and really bad storms, even in May due to the altitude of some areas. You will need someone as your logistical person to send you stuff when needed, like swapping cold clothing for summer, and then again for fall. Depending on how fast you hike, usually it takes from February to August to reach the summit of Katahdin. There’s also rules and permits to be obtained in certain areas like Smokey Mountains NP and to summit Katahdin, they maybe more in place now, since things have changed. (Like camping on top of Max Patch) there are several options besides a thru hike, Section Hiking, and Flip-Flopping. Lots of people do the flip-flop now to avoid crowds and take advantage of good weather. This is just an overview if you have any questions and I can help just let me know! HAPPY HIKING AND MUST IMPORTANT “LEAVE NO TRACE!”

I finished my Appalachian trail hike in 2022. Not easy! Starting in August from where? Are you doing a section, flip flop or SOBO? Hiking alone?
Watching you tube can be very helpful. Read trail journals for ideas of sections. Definitely download the Far Out app and I also used the Appalachian Trail Guide app.
Best of Luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can provide some good information on the Appalachian Trail. We have a group the has been walking the AT in sections since 2014, we have walked as far as Pennsylvania from Amicalola Falls. We have done 5, 7, and 10 days at a time, and like anyone who has hiked the Appalachian Trail (is NO Camino) it is not an easy trail even in the easiest sections! I have done a lot of research, have books and maps. Just for information the two hardest states out of the 14 you will be hiking are Georgia and Maine, even though Pennsylvania doesn’t stay behind. If you do a thru hike you’re possibly looking at 4 pairs of boots or trail runners, I personally tried both and like the boots better on rocky terrain and there’s plenty of that. A thru hiker normally starts at the end of February if going northbound (NOBO). You will encounter snow, and really bad storms, even in May due to the altitude of some areas. You will need someone as your logistical person to send you stuff when needed, like swapping cold clothing for summer, and then again for fall. Depending on how fast you hike, usually it takes from February to August to reach the summit of Katahdin. There’s also rules and permits to be obtained in certain areas like Smokey Mountains NP and to summit Katahdin, they maybe more in place now, since things have changed. (Like camping on top of Max Patch) there are several options besides a thru hike, Section Hiking, and Flip-Flopping. Lots of people do the flip-flop now to avoid crowds and take advantage of good weather. This is just an overview if you have any questions and I can help just let me know! HAPPY HIKING AND MUST IMPORTANT “LEAVE NO TRACE!”
Thank you!

White Blaze Forum.
Appalachian Trail Forum.

IMG_20220525_104636_2.jpg

IMG_20230213_021440_2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-02-13-02-21-57-759_com.miui.home.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Whiteblaze.net has a number of useful articles and discussions

Most read last week in this forum

I started walking the American Discovery Trail back in 2019. My plan was to walk the southern option between Cincinnati, Ohio and Denver, Colorado that fall, and then to fly to Delaware in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.