Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Forward luggage with electronics/laptop?

DarcyWalksThe World

Year of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I have found a service that will take my carry on suitcase from Pamplona to Santiago.
BUT, is it safe to leave my laptop in my suitcase??
Otherwise I have to bring the laptop with me on the Camino which is also crazy.

And no, I can't leave the suitcase or laptop at "home". I live in Southern Spain, am flying Malaga to Pamplona, flying out of Santiago directly to NYC and will need "real" clothes and work gear as I'm spending a month in the USA directly after the Camino.

Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!
Camino Cups

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
DarcyWalksTheWorld,

Perhaps at Malaga Airport you might "wrap and seal" your suitcase fully packed before flying to Pamplona. However it could be risky. Wraping the case before giving to the Pamplona transport service might be a better solution.

Good luck and Buen camino

Last edited:

Marbe2

2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Hi,

I have found a service that will take my carry on suitcase from Pamplona to Santiago.

And no, I can't leave the suitcase or laptop at "home". I live in Southern Spain, am flying Malaga to Pamplona, flying out of Santiago directly to NYC and will need "real" clothes and work gear as I'm spending a month in the USA directly after the Camino.

Can anyone answer that with certainty?

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
You have other options. Upon arriving Santiago, you can fly home to Malaga, drop off your sweaty dusty Camino pack and clothes, pick up your "work" suitcase and laptop, and head off to NYC.

Leaving a computer - and its data - and its client intellectual property - unattended for a 6 week Camino sounds absolutely fraught to me.

DarcyWalksThe World

I did think of that being an option but I also hate putting my laptop in checked baggage!
I might take the train instead.
You have other options. Upon arriving Santiago, you can fly home to Malaga, drop off your sweaty dusty Camino pack and clothes, pick up your "work" suitcase and laptop, and head off to NYC.

Leaving a computer - and its data - and its client intellectual property - unattended for a 6 week Camino sounds absolutely fraught to me.
urgh. I know. But I love an hour from Malaga and my apartment is rented out. It’s a logistical nightmare and a very expensive plan to backtrack.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Paul McAmino

Blue Ridge
Hi,

Hi,
You could forward it to Ivar, who will hold onto it until you get to SdC.
Look up the process by using the search function in this Forum. Correos will deliver it to his place of business, and he will hold it there for you.
All the best,
P

Last edited:

Katia Taam

Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
DarcyWalksTheWorld I´ll have the same problemas I will stay 2 months in Spain after my camino
I do believe the service I will use is very safe. What kind of service will you use? Correos ?

You could also remove your important info on to a flash drive or micro sd and bring that along with you on the camino and then reinstall when you are done. Cloud storage is also a possibility and eliminates any possibility of losing your information. A backup left at home would also help in case of problems

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hi,
You could forward it to Ivar, who will hold onto it until you get to SdC.
Look up the process by using the search function in this Forum. Correos will deliver it to his place of business, and he will hold it there for you.
All the best,
P
I think that part of the concern is the the time that the suitcase is in transit, whether by Correos or another service.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

andarapie

I don't know about overnight shipping services in Spain, but in the US, shipping expensive electronics via UPS or Fedex is generally safe (though I would insure them for the full replacement value). If you have sensitive information on the laptop, I would wipe it beforehand and put what you need on a portable hard drive or flash drive to carry with you (or put it in the cloud). (Obviously, back up everything onto a separate hard drive before you leave and put it in storage somewhere). Then ship by a reputable service in Spain (DHL?) from Pamplona to Ivar in Santiago. Or ship everything (including the carry on suitcase that you won't actually need in Pamplona - this could be sent by whatever the slowest service is since you will be walking for several weeks) from Malaga to Santiago.

Katia Taam

Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
I don't know if you can send a laptop inside your suitcase if you are using Correos.
Two years ago I had a box incinerated. I send a lot of clothes from Spain to Brasil after my camino and I think the problem was a flashlights with some batteries. They simply let me know that there was dangerous stuff inside it...

Katia Taam

I do know someone very trustful that will do it for me From Pamplona to Ivar in Santiago..

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Cups

Gabi Wehler

Planning to walk the Camino Frances mid May 2018
DarcyWalksTheWorld,

Perhaps at Malaga Airport you might "wrap and seal" your suitcase fully packed before flying to Pamplona. However it could be risky. Wraping the case before giving to the Pamplona transport service might be a better solution.

Good luck and Buen camino
I had my suitcase gladwrapped and took it to the PO in Pamplona to send it to Ivan’s office in Santiago. Arrived safe n sound. Picked it up 6 wks later on arrival.

Kathar1na

To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Fly to Santiago. Leave laptop. Fly to Pamplona or Biarritz. Walk to Santiago. Pick up laptop.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads