• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forward planning... ideas?

Precentrix

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances:
St Jean to Burgos (Aug 2016)
Burgos-Leon (April 2018)

Salvador and Primitivo?
Hi all,

This might actually be my first post on this forum, but hey ho! Last August (2016) I began the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied-de-Port. Because I teach, the summer would have been the only time I could conceivably complete the Frances in one go, so rather than choose the Ingles or doing the last section of the Frances I have made the decision to complete my pilgrimage in sections. It's not ideal, but it's what I can do given my current state of life! So, I did what I thought was a sensible thing, and walked as far as Burgos, leaving the Meseta for when the weather was more favourable (i.e. not August). Because I've been doing a postgrad this year, that means that my next step will be Burgos to Leon this coming April (2018) when I have *just* enough time to squeeze in six days of walking assuming all goes well (or failing that use a bus).

I just discovered the Salvador link between the Frances at Leon and the Primitivo. Given that the Frances could get pretty busy, especially if I have to complete in the summer, I was wondering whether this might be an option. Other than there being one particularly long day, does anyone have particular advice? I'd like to hear from people who've walked this part (and presumably onwards via the Primitivo). Would it make sense to do the Salvador as it's own mini-trip (much like I am doing this time to cover my chunk of the Meseta) and then allow say two weeks to complete Oviedo to Compostella?

There are several threads on the Primitivo looking for guide books, but is there a decent map/app/guide to the Salvador itself? How is the waymarking? I know that I took various alternatives before Burgos including one that approached the Aragon route and they were all pretty easy to follow, but I did start walking at about the same time as a group of Brits who got lost on day one over the Pyreness, so...

Is accommodation readily available on the Salvador? Are there places to get food (I'm happy to live off bread and cheese and my pack without food and water for the Frances, albeit in summer, was under 3kg even though I brought a bivvy sack and other mad things - for April, I'm adding some merinos and a sleeping bag).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apart from the geographic considerations, you may want to factor in the calendar. Easter falls on April 1 for 2018, and is preceded and followed by weeks of heavy vacation-taking and/or local festivals and holidays.

Thanks. I know when Easter is - my holidays work around it since I'm a teacher (not to mention that I'll be in church for three days ;-) ). I'm not talking about doing the Salvador during that time period, just my planned trip from Burgos as far as Leon which will begin on the Sunday following. I used to live in French Catalunya and have taken part in the processions with the Confreria de la Sanch. The Salvador would be maybe this summer or, more likely, the following year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks. I know when Easter is - my holidays work around it since I'm a teacher (not to mention that I'll be in church for three days ;-) ). I'm not talking about doing the Salvador during that time period, just my planned trip from Burgos as far as Leon which will begin on the Sunday following. I used to live in French Catalunya and have taken part in the processions with the Confreria de la Sanch. The Salvador would be maybe this summer or, more likely, the following year.

Do you already know this website?
https://www.gronze.com/camino-salvador

Gives you some details about lodgings.

Good luck with planning this route ( on my list to walk too ).

Thanks for the links - I've seen a few already. One thing I was concerned about was the huge amount of traffic near the end of the Frances, and I know the Primitivo, while popular, isn't quite as overcrowded (yet). Since I'm determined to walk the whole route, if I'm hopping across I need to do the Salvador link, which looks STUNNING but makes me feel slightly worried about walking in such a remote part as a solo traveller. I'm not used to mountainous territory, though I walk a lot of cliff paths here (narrow, steep, and on cliffs, similar to the narrower sections of path I've seen in the pics - the main Camino Frances shocked me by being practically a road) and coped fine with St Jean to Roncesvalles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Salvador in August this year. It is a wonderful Camino. It took me and my daughter 7 days. If you want to know more you could look at the wonderful guide that Ender made. If you type "Enders Guide" in the search box of this forum you'll get the link to the digital guidebopk

Thanks for the links - I've seen a few already. One thing I was concerned about was the huge amount of traffic near the end of the Frances, and I know the Primitivo, while popular, isn't quite as overcrowded (yet). Since I'm determined to walk the whole route, if I'm hopping across I need to do the Salvador link, which looks STUNNING but makes me feel slightly worried about walking in such a remote part as a solo traveller. I'm not used to mountainous territory, though I walk a lot of cliff paths here (narrow, steep, and on cliffs, similar to the narrower sections of path I've seen in the pics - the main Camino Frances shocked me by being practically a road) and coped fine with St Jean to Roncesvalles.

Hi Precentrix,

It is indeed remote and montaneous. But the Salvador is getting busier. You might walk alone during the day, but at the end of the stages, in the albergues, you will most likely find other pilgrims (whom you can hook up with if you don't want to walk alone). This was the case for me in late June in 2016. All in all there is a lot less people than on the Camino Francés, of course. Given the hilly region, you should be careful about going in too early spring/late fall since there can be snowy up there. You can easily divide the Camino in different stages that suite your needs. The Ender guide that is mentioned in some posts above gives good advice of how to divide the stages.

/BP

Hi Precentrix, welcome to the forum.
I walked the Salvador in August in 2017 and loved it. It was hot, hard and high, but I would do it again in a heart beat. Yow will find it very different from the Frances, but it is exquisitely beautiful and very peaceful.
You may have already checked out the San Salvador links, but if not, here is a link to a write up of the walk which I posted shortly afterwards. Most of the questions you ask are covered in it.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-san-salvador-11th-to-16th-august-2017.50222/
I had only a few days off work, and have family commitments (single parent), but if I had been true to my feelings I would not have stopped at Oviedo but headed on the Primitivo to Santiago. I would definitely recommend this as an option.
Enders guide is all you need, its well marked and there are enough alberges for accommodation. Staying at Buendenos is highly recommended, its a great alberge, with magnificent views.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back