• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forza Atletico!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many of them I'm sure.
Regarding title of your thread (Athletico......) I'm so happy that I'll have a chance to watch UEFA finals for the fourth time in Spain. And not only that, the Athletico goalkeeper Oblak is of Slovenian nationality and I even know him in person ;)

Well, sometimes it's nice to come from a small country that few people know about. Last year when walking Levante and Sanabres I got quite a few free beers when I mentioned Oblak. BTW - Oblak is "cloud" (ENG) or "nube" (ESP) and that was also very funny for Spaniards.

But we shouldn't forget about the EU Football Championship also!!!

Many of them I'm sure.
Regarding title of your thread (Athletico......) I'm so happy that I'll have a chance to watch UEFA finals for the fourth time in Spain. And not only that, the Athletico goalkeeper Oblak is of Slovenian nationality and I even know him in person ;)

Well, sometimes it's nice to come from a small country that few people know about. Last year when walking Levante and Sanabres I got quite a few free beers when I mentioned Oblak. BTW - Oblak is "cloud" (ENG) or "nube" (ESP) and that was also very funny for Spaniards.

Not sure about the European Championships. It may be too depressing watching England under achieve again!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think that almost every bar with a tv screen will be a good place to watch the match. Although i think the most of people in Burgos will go with el Madrid.

Many of them I'm sure.

Actually, the right name is Atlético de Madrid and many times is called simply Atleti. Maybe you're confused with Athletic Club, from Bilbao.

Real Madrid is known as el Madrid. The fans are merengues.
Barcelona is known as Barça. (Youngsters call the town Barna) Fans are culés.
Atlético de Madrid is known as Atleti. Fans are colchoneros.
Athletic Club is known as Athletic.
Deportivo de La Coruña is known as Dépor.
Real Sociedad is known as la Real.

Anyway, yes, forza Atleti though i'm not a fan of Madrid clubs. Any team but Real Madrid now that Barça's out.

:)

Thanks @Pabloke , I know the distinction between Athletic (Bilbao) and Atletico (Madrid) it was just typing automatically in English which isn't my first language :)

Colchoneros are also called Indios and Rojiblancos (club red/white stripe colours).

Members are reminded to heed Rule 2. The OP's request for a recommended bar in which to watch a football match reminds me that: "If you are in a bar in Spain and they are not showing the football on the television you are not in a bar in Spain".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Members are reminded to heed Rule 2. The OP's request for a recommended bar in which to watch a football match reminds me that: "If you are in a bar in Spain and they are not showing the football on the television you are not in a bar in Spain".
Thought as much. I'm really looking forward to the atmosphere. However, I'm looking forward more to my beloved Liverpool disposing of the Yellow Submarine tonight!

I must admit that i didn't read the rules. My fault. I'm sorry.

And excuse me Kinky, i thought you were correcting Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anyone know of a good bar to watch football in, in Burgos?

As you seem to support Atlético de Madrid, you may be interested in going to the bar used by the Atlético de Madrid supporters in Burgos. Take a look at their Twitter account https://twitter.com/atm_gamonal for info (it's free to see their public profile and -last?- messages even if you don't have a Twitter account) and, if you have a Twitter account, to get in contact with them if you need any further clarification or if you want to confirm the info in their profile (including the bar they use for meetings) is updated.

Youngsters call the town Barna

That's not a youngsters thing. Barcelona is shortened as Barna by locals of all ages. It isn't something new/recent either. It was already used in the XIXth century...

Last edited by a moderator:
As you seem to support Atlético de Madrid, you may be interested in going to the bar used by the Atlético de Madrid supporters in Burgos. Take a look at their twitter account https://twitter.com/atm_gamonal for info and to get in contact with them if you need any clarification.

That's not a youngsters thing. Barcelona is shortened as Barna by locals of all ages. It isn't something new/recent either. It was already used in the XIXth century...
Castilian, I don't have a FB account so I would like to ask you if there is such a place (like in Burgos) in Miranda de Ebro? My plan is to be there on May 28th when finals will be played. And as a (although moderate) football fan and Slovenian as is Atletico's portero Oblak I would very much enjoyed watching this game with fans of Atletico.

I would like to ask you if there is such a place (like in Burgos) in Miranda de Ebro?

There's a peña of the Atlético de Madrid in Miranda de Ebro but I'm getting conflicting info about their address... Not sure if that's because they changed their address or due to other reasons (e.g.: they see the matches at a bar but make other sort of meetings at other address). You could ask locally (but be sure to make clear you are asking about the bar used by the peña of the Atlético de Madrid because there are many followeres/supporters of the Athletic Club in Miranda de Ebro and they have a peña too) but no guarantee of success because, except members of the local peña of the Atlético de Madrid or people who leave close to the meeting point of the local peña the Atlético de Madrid, probably many people won't know where they meet to see the matches (although in a small city like Miranda de Ebro you have more chances of success than in bigger ones like Burgos).

P.S.: I'm assuming they see the matches at a public bar where anyone else can go but it might be peñas that see the matches in a (non-public) place property of the peña in which case access could be restricted to members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shame we're not in Spain for the Europa League final when the mighty Liverpool will despatch Sevilla (hopefully) with the same ease that they overcame Villareal!

There's a peña of the Atlético de Madrid in Miranda de Ebro but I'm getting conflicting info about their address... Not sure if that's because they changed their address or due to other reasons (e.g.: they see the matches at a bar but make other sort of meetings at other address). You could ask locally (but be sure to make clear you are asking about the bar used by the peña of the Atlético de Madrid because there are many followeres/supporters of the Athletic Club in Miranda de Ebro and they have a peña too) but no guarantee of success because, except members of the local peña of the Atlético de Madrid or people who leave close to the meeting point of the local peña the Atlético de Madrid, probably many people won't know where they meet to see the matches (although in a small city like Miranda de Ebro you have more chances of success than in bigger ones like Burgos).

P.S.: I'm assuming they see the matches at a public bar where anyone else can go but it might be peñas that see the matches in a (non-public) place property of the peña in which case access could be restricted to members.
Thanks. Will do that hopefully with some success ;)

When I was in Spain last fall there was an Irish football fan on camino who was wandering the current town looking for a bar which was showing a particular game. It appeared that every bar in town was showing football, but he couldn't find one with his team. I was not that interested. This year, since all the Canadian hockey clubs are out of the Stanley Cup finals, I am giving up on sport. I shall just have to try to ignore the ubiquitous television screens when in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back