• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Found (38 years old)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I hope you find him. Good luck however
I think you need to attach the photo. The link requires access to Flickr

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ll repost on a closed women’s International FB page(CAMIGAS) as the members are arriving in Santiago daily. Prayers. Who should they contact? Is he American or Canadian?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You appear to have done all the right things to notify the appropriate authorities and, hopefully find him safe and well.

Also, and if you can, monitor his bank and credit/debit card accounts for signs of use. This will give you valuable information, and which you can share with authorities as well. They ought to have asked for this information.

The same thing applies for his smartphone, if he had one. Providing the number(s) can help them trace the phone's whereabouts and use.

Finally, if he had a smartphone with a "find my phone" capability, have you tried to ping his phone using this function? My wife and I both have iPhones with the location sharing and "Find my Phone" turned on. This allows someone to determine the physical location of the other phone if it is turned on. I have made sure that she knows how to do this so, when I am away on Camino or elsewhere, she can know where I am.

I know you are frantic, but these are some things you may not yet have thought of. I am just trying to be helpful.

Most of all, please have faith that this will turn out okay. On the Camino we have a saying, that Saint James (Santiago) works in strange ways. We do not question the what, how, or why. We just appreciate the results.

Finally, please know that you are in many, many people's thoughts and prayers.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Yes. His phone gps did travel from santiago to Madrid international airport. where it stayed in one spot for 14 hours offline and never came back online. He never messaged from Madrid. So we are unsure if it was actually him that travelled withthe phone to Madrid or if it was someone else. We were location sharing throught the entire trip. It is still linked. But his signal has yet to come back online.

Thank you for all your ideas and prayers and support.

I’ll repost on a closed women’s International FB page(CAMIGAS) as the members are arriving in Santiago daily. Prayers. Who should they contact? Is he American or Canadian?
He lives in Canada but is travelling under an american passport. The american embassy is the international agency that has the report and information of him missing and contact information for us. Or the local police in Santiago also has our information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my god. Is this Sarah?? My dad and I walked with Chris almost the whole Camino and spent the last night with him in Finisterre! I am talking to a bunch of our friends now, trying to find the last person who spoke to him. If you’re on Facebook can you find me and I can send you screenshots? My name is Sam Lara, please PM me.
We all sending so much love your way!

Last edited by a moderator:
My partner went on the camino from Sept 24th to Nov 3rd. He was in Santiago around oct 31st and we think he was in Santiago de composela also on Nov 3rd trying to catch a flight from Santiago to Madrid. Where he went missing. No one has heard from him since Nov. 3rd. I am asking for any help. If anyone has seen him. Im not sure of the rules here if I can post his photo? I will and if there is a problem or if anyone knows of more resources please let me know. We have contacted the American Embassy and the FBI and our local police and the local police in Santiago. His mom is contacting the national police. below is a link for his photos of himself while on the camino. Please, if anyone has seen him, please reach out and let us know. If we happen to find him I will update this site. He has the names CLEO and ADAM tattooed on his wrists. with their birthdates. And a new tattoo that says Nunca Mas on his forearm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159697091@N04/albums/72157671889173367/with/45159167511/
I was lucky enough to get to know Chris on the Camino, spending a few evenings in his company within the group we were walking with. I am truly saddened to hear of this and all my prayers are for him and his family right now in finding him safe and well.

Check with his friends and relatives in the US. Just an idea...

Assuming for the moment that his phone got as far as Barajas International Airport, consider the 'possibility' that he and his phone separated there. His US connections may know more. Also, he could have gone literally anywhere in the world from there (Madrid) on a US passport.

Checking out his finances might help in that regard as well...

Just sayin...

I do hope it helps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@oceanbright, you need to post some better info re contacting you, also Chris’s full name. Already on the CAMIGAS FB page 2 women walked with him but have no way to pass on info plus most will be already home or traveling. Do you or Chris have a FB page you could use? Just trying to give clearer contact info.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Adding my prayers and let’s hope Divine Providence gets him back to you soon. Did he get his Compostela in Santiago? Another link
Also his itinerary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@oceanbright, you must be frantic.
You seem to have done all the right things, other people who know Chris are connecting, and @t2andreo has offered some really good advice here.
You may need to push things along a little bit if there is no progress - authorities may have their own agenda.
Many prayers for a happy resolution to this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@oceanbright, you need to post some better info re contacting you, also Chris’s full name. Already on the CAMIGAS FB page 2 women walked with him but have no way to pass on info plus most will be already home or traveling. Do you or Chris have a FB page you could use? Just trying to give clearer contact info.
Yes, we definitely need his full name. Besides the Facebook groups already mentioned, there are many other Camino FB groups. Perhaps search for them and join them and post on all of them. I hope that the next time I check this thread he has been found!

So if his phone was stolen, it’s quite possible they just took the SIM out of it. Call the cell company and see if any charges have happened. It’s quite possible that the phone was just tossed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Oceanbright,
I met Chris on his first day in the Pyrenees, together with my Dutch friend Ingeborg D., and later on The Way several times again. Ingeborg D. met him on October 31 near the busstation in Finisterre.
He was in a great condition and told her: 'I am not going to my second house in Portugal, but I wil straight go home....'
Praying for a good ending of this terrible uncertainty.

Colette (and any others similar concerned):

Send a Private Conversation to Oceanbright to request and receive personal contact information. it is a function in the Forum. Look at the menu on top of the page. Select "Inbox," click on "Start a New Conversation." Follow the directions from there.

These conversations are private between sender and recipient.

Avoid posting personal information or contact information in the Forum where the world can see it. Even non-members can read everything posted.

This is for everyone's safety and security.

Hope it helps.

€149,-
Colette (and any others similar concerned):

Send a Private Conversation to Oceanbright to request and receive personal contact information. it is a function in the Forum. Look at the menu on top of the page. Select "Inbox," click on "Start a New Conversation." Follow the directions from there.

These conversations are private between sender and recipient.

Avoid posting personal information or contact information in the Forum where the world can see it. Even non-members can read everything posted.

This is for everyone's safety and security.

Hope it helps.

I believe I did private message her and got contact info.

I am so sorry to read this. We just came back home with my partner after our Camino. We have been on the way from SJPD to Santiago from 6.09. - 22.10. and then to Finistere and back to Santiago on 28.09. From the pictures, the face is very familiar to me, but I can not say for sure, we met him. It was very cold and rainy the last days of October. I really feel for you and your family and will pray so much for better news and Chris to come back home safe and well.
Maybe you can post in this group too, there are many Canadians and Americans there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/430645737311953/

Daar Oceanbright,
I’m Ingeborg D. I met Chris during the camino several times. To his mom he called me the crazy Dutch woman who was able to keep up with his speed. On oktober 31th, I met him the last time at the bus station from Finistere to Santiago. He was really happy and thrilled to se me again. I asked him if he was going to Portugal, his original plan. But he told me that his children needed him, so he planned to stay another 2 days in Finistere and after that he would travel back home. My husband made 2 pictures of us. One showing both of us happy together and with his wrist with the tattoo Nunca más. If it would be helpful, I can send this picture to you. Chris explained the meaning and background of the tattoo to me so I’m really eager to help him ánd you to find him.
Meanwhile I send you all my love and prayers for finding him very soon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am so sorry @oceanbright.

While I think this is unlikely and probably already checked into by the police perhaps Chris decided to bus or train to Madrid and became ill and he is hospitalized somewhere along the way while his pack, phone and ID continued on to Madrid.

So if his phone was stolen, it’s quite possible they just took the SIM out of it. Call the cell company and see if any charges have happened. It’s quite possible that the phone was just tossed.

This is of course correct. However, consider that it is also possible that the SIM card was intentionally swapped out for another SIM card, from a different service provider e.g. Orange, Vodaphone, etc. This would have been very easy to do at the airport.

Anyone in possession of the phone could have done that, as a method to thwart tracking. Just sayin...

As soon as the original SIM card is removed from the phone, the phone no longer responds to "Find My Phone" or any other common location tracking method. It 'disappears.' However, one would need the new phone number to try further tracking...

That said, it MIGHT be possible to track the phone using the IMEI number, hard coded into the phone's firmware (circuitry). But, only the national police forces and intelligence entities usually have that capability.

OTOH, who has recorded their IMEI somewhere where it can be retrieved? As an FYI, one place it can be found is on the several barcoded labels affixed to the original box the phone came in. Just sayin...I always save my boxes for when I eventually sell the phone on or donate it to a friend or family member...

PLEASE NOTE: I am being very careful not to suggest any scenario or outcome here. The principal parties and responsible government agencies will handle more in-depth investigation.

I merely post what I think is useful information, for general use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If thieves got past the lockscreen on the phone they may be tempted to take a picture or two, hopefully selfies. The photo app may send the pictures to a cloud account. Keep checking that account. The phone may also add geolocation information to the picture. This should still occur if the SIM were replaced.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Daar Oceanbright,
I’m Ingeborg D. I met Chris during the camino several times. To his mom he called me the crazy Dutch woman who was able to keep up with his speed. On oktober 31th, I met him the last time at the bus station from Finistere to Santiago. He was really happy and thrilled to se me again. I asked him if he was going to Portugal, his original plan. But he told me that his children needed him, so he planned to stay another 2 days in Finistere and after that he would travel back home. My husband made 2 pictures of us. One showing both of us happy together and with his wrist with the tattoo Nunca más. If it would be helpful, I can send this picture to you. Chris explained the meaning and background of the tattoo to me so I’m really eager to help him ánd you to find him.
I am Chris' mom (Dutch and wouldn't be able to keep up with your pace) and would love you to forward me any photos that you can. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Daar Oceanbright,
Did you see him board the bus or was he saying goodbye to everyone and staying longer in Finisterre?

€149,-
My partner went on the camino from Sept 24th to Nov 3rd. He was in Santiago around oct 31st and we think he was in Santiago de composela also on Nov 3rd trying to catch a flight from Santiago to Madrid. Where he went missing. No one has heard from him since Nov. 3rd. I am asking for any help. If anyone has seen him. Im not sure of the rules here if I can post his photo? I will and if there is a problem or if anyone knows of more resources please let me know. We have contacted the American Embassy and the FBI and our local police and the local police in Santiago. His mom is contacting the national police. below is a link for his photos of himself while on the camino. Please, if anyone has seen him, please reach out and let us know. If we happen to find him I will update this site. He has the names CLEO and ADAM tattooed on his wrists. with their birthdates. And a new tattoo that says Nunca Mas on his forearm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159697091@N04/albums/72157671889173367/with/45159167511/

I am so sorry to read this. We just came back home with my partner after our Camino. We have been on the way from SJPD to Santiago from 6.09. - 22.10. and then to Finistere and back to Santiago on 28.09. From the pictures, the face is very familiar to me, but I can not say for sure, we met him. It was very cold and rainy the last days of October. I really feel for you and your family and will pray so much for better news and Chris to come back home safe and well.
Maybe you can post in this group too, there are many Canadians and Americans there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/430645737311953/
He had a drone with him and very large white sony headphones. Someone may remember that.

Thank you. WE know nothing about his banking accounts so cant check.
I am well aware that suggestions what to do in this situation are coming from all sides but as I know checking bank account of officially missed person can be done by a police/court order (depends on the country). In Slovenia for example they can get all that info (where or what and when bank accounts are opened and much much more) just from tax number, similar as health security number in USA if I'm not mistaken. Maybe try that too?

Re drone: do you know if he downloaded shot material to a tablet/external memory disc or he uploaded it in the cloud like Dropbox and similar? Every up/downloading also contains date and time. Don't know about location though but you've already got that info if I understood your previous family posts correctly.

I hope with all my heart that this will be soon over. Keep on!

Last edited:
Did you see him board the bus or was he saying goodbye to everyone and staying longer in Finisterre?
The Dutch woman who saw him in Finisterre posted she was boarding the bus on Oct. 31, he said he was staying two more days, then heading home. This timeline jives with him possibly being in santiago again on 11/3, and the last phone pings.

Update here - he has called and is in hospital in Madrid and in contact with family. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.
Amazing....so happy for your family. I hope he gets well soon and gets home to your waiting arms! Brilliant you so made my day:) I am basking in your glow at the moment.
I think the forum community was praying and had good hopes and wishes for you and your family.

Such good news today this and @davebugg ....Santiago (st.James) is working overtime :cool:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Update here - he has called and is in hospital in Madrid and in contact with family. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.
Fantastic! Not wanting to be too intrusive, but could you give us an idea of what occurred that caused you to lose contact with him?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Oh this is such wonderful news!! @oceanbright thank you so very much for taking time to let us all know that Chris is found. Thinking of you and wishing all of you well during what must still be a tough time ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
WOW - a happy ending to what was a difficulty story.
To all who posted info on Chris - well done;
To all who posted info about keeping track of your smart phone - a real big thank you. I will be putting some those into action. Cheers

Thank God. So pleased he has been found

For future reference, and for others, did someone locate this fellow in the hospital? Or, was he finally able to place a call, after not being able to place a call?

Personally, I am curious only to know how he eventually surfaced, in the event I ever turn up unconscious. Other might be similarly curious.

I am not trying to pry.

I'm SOOO glad to hear this today after reading all the posts of the last few days. Speedy recovery to him and speedy reuniting for your entire family.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good news indeed.

For future reference, and for others, did someone locate this fellow in the hospital? Or, was he finally able to place a call, after not being able to place a call?

Personally, I am curious only to know how he eventually surfaced, in the event I ever turn up unconscious. Other might be similarly curious.

I am not trying to pry.
Well there's always the tattoo option: about 18 years ago one of my one of my nephews went off on a round the world trip and thought it would be a "good idea" to have his name and his parents' telephone number and address tattoo'd on his left arm (because that's where they insert the drip/blood transfusion right?)
The thing was he didn't tell my brother nor my sister-in-law about this and, in the 15 months he was gone, they moved house . . .
He finally got around to having it laser removed in 2016!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is why soldiers wear "dog tags." FYI, you CAN have a set custom made, with contact information stamped into them. Check the internet. Generally, they can stamp up to 15 characters per line and a total of 5 lines. Spaces and punctuation marks are a character...

My solution is to carry a "In Case of Emergency" sheet in four languages in the same ziplock pouch as my national passport. It is a standard sized page split into four equal panels and folded into a quarter-page. The languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.

The information in the exact format in each panel. includes: name, date of birth, blood type, religion (with a statement to call a priest if I am seriously injured or worse), national passport number, plus emergency contact information. I include contact information for a friend living at Santiago. It also contains my chronic illnesses, and all the medication I take daily (and for what condition).

My thought is that, if I am found unconscious, there is enough information to get treatment started and important folks contacted. I have insurance cover that works overseas, and buy trip insurance from my airline to cover emergency evacuation home.

Also, ADDED LATER to clarify, I always carry a folded, second copy of this ICE sheet in a ziplock bag, in the top pocket of my rucksack. That way, if I am rendered unconscious AND robbed, it is likely that the smaller items like a passport might be stolen, but the large rucksack might not. Life is a gamble. I am just trying to increase my odds of winning / surviving...

This scenario, involving this 38-year old fellow is a reality check in this regard.

Hope this helps the dialog...

Last edited:
That is why soldiers wear "dog tags." FYI, you CAN have a set custom made, with contact information stamped into them. Check the internet. Generally, they can stamp up to 15 characters per line and a total of 5 lines. Spaces and punctuation marks are a character...

My solution is to carry a "In Case of Emergency" sheet in four languages in the same ziplock pouch as my national passport. It is a standard sized page split into four equal panels and folded into a quarter-page. The languages are English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.

The information in the exact format in each panel. includes: name, date of birth, blood type, religion (with a statement to call a priest if I am seriously injured or worse), national passport number, plus emergency contact information. I include contact information for a friend living at Santiago. It also contains my chronic illnesses, and all the medication I take daily (and for what condition).

My thought is that, if I am found unconscious, there is enough information to get treatment started and important folks contacted. I have insurance cover that works overseas, and buy trip insurance from my airline to cover emergency evacuation home.

This scenario, involving this 38-year old fellow is a reality check in this regard.

Hope this helps the dialog...
I like the idea of dog tags - we used to have ICE details in a waterproof case to stick onto our hard hats for construction site work - wonder if I still have some?

Search Google or Amazon where you live, to find "dog tags" or metal ID tag. There are many online sources.

If you go this route, don't forget a set of "dog tag silencers" to quiet the rattling noise they make clinking together. the REAL type are made of stainless steel (inox) and have a ball chain included. You can adjust the length of the ball chain using a pair of scissors.

For those who have not served, these are two rubber / silicone bands that fit over the edge of the metal dog tag to silence the clinking sound...just sayin...

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am thrilled that this man was located!
I am, however, baffled that he could be missing since Oct. 3rd, but not have contact with his family for over well over 5 weeks, even if he was hospitalized. Sounds very strange unless he had amnesia maybe? I would think the nurses/doctors in the Spanish hospital would have helped him get in touch with his family long before now.

I am thrilled that this man was located!
I am, however, baffled that he could be missing since Oct. 3rd, but not have contact with his family for over well over 5 weeks, even if he was hospitalized. Sounds very strange unless he had amnesia maybe? I would think the nurses/doctors in the Spanish hospital would have helped him get in touch with his family long before now.
I am not sure where you read Oct 3rd. He was missing from Nov. 3rd. And had been in contact with us throughout the whole Camino until Nov 3rd. Hope that helps clarify things. It saud all this in the original post. Which i changed which he had been found.

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I obviously had the date wrong and I am sorry.
Again I will say I am thrilled Chris has been found and no foul play involved! What a huge relief to those who love him, and a sigh of relief to those of us who are part of this forum and were made aware that he was missing.

Congratulations Ocianbright and other familymembers of Chris! I’m so happy and relieved that he has been found. Hoping for a soon reunification. With love,
Ingeborg

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back