• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

[Found] Missing German pilgrim...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is a relief.

Maybe she didn't get the memo that if you're on the Camino and you make plans to meet people at a certain place, then change your mind, it's good to let those people know you won't be there.

And there will probably still continue to be people posting on the Camino forum from time to time, wondering where their loved ones are because they've not checked in for a day or two. A topic search for "missing pilgrim" brings up quite a few results on here. Thankfully, almost always, there's a follow-up post letting us know that the person has ended up contacting family and friends, and being "found" again. It's easy enough for it to happen. Lots of times people at home don't realise the temptation for pilgrims to completely unplug on the Camino, and subsequently not wanting to keep contacting home as often (and/or the difficulty in finding a
wi-fi signal sometimes, or getting a phone charged, etc.). But it's made me more mindful of letting people know where I'm going to be, especially if I make specific plans. It's somewhat a balance between freedom and responsibility, I think.

Rachel

Yes, after Denise we are all a litte more aware
stay safe and stay in touch please .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No "alarm"or report of a missing pilgrim, especially a woman walking solo, should ever be discounted or taken lightly. I am thrilled the Guardia Civil learned a lesson last year and pounced on this initial report, and more thrilled that the missing pilgrim turned up safe and sound.

This emphasizes the need to keep your loved ones at home advised regarding your planned itinerary while on Camino. If you change that itinerary or contact schedule, you really must let the others who care about you know what you are doing. This also applies if you are doing the Camino with others, but are separated due to pacing differences, or other legitimate reasons for being separated by days or more.

Yes, I know it can be an inconvenience, and bothersome at times. Then again, put yourself in their position, hundreds or thousands of kilometers away, or on the other side of the globe (literally), and unable to help you if something bad does happen. Do, please be considerate of others, espeically those who care most about you.;)

I have an app for my iPhone called "Alert Cops," available through the Spanish iTunes site. It allows you to register your presence in Spain and your itinerary with the Guardia Civil. I presume, but do not know if it is available for the Android OS. It also supports rapid reporting of incidents and crimes you see, in real time. However, it is NOT a substitute for dialing 112 and asking for "Ayuda por favor en inglés?"

I found the app on the Apple (US) web site. Here is that URL: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alertcops/id897454254?mt=8 just as an FYI, the app supports these languages: English, Basque, Catalan, Galician, and of course, Spanish.

I hope this helps.

No "alarm"or report of a missing pilgrim, especially a woman walking solo, should ever be discounted or taken lightly. I am thrilled the Guardia Civil learned a lesson last year and pounced on this initial report, and more thrilled that the missing pilgrim turned up safe and sound.

This emphasizes the need to keep your loved ones at home advised regarding your planned itinerary while on Camino. If you change that itinerary or contact schedule, you really must let the others who care about you know what you are doing. This also applies if you are doing the Camino with others, but are separated due to pacing differences, or other legitimate reasons for being separated by days or more.

Yes, I know it can be an inconvenience, and bothersome at times. Then again, put yourself in their position, hundreds or thousands of kilometers away, or on the other side of the globe (literally), and unable to help you if something bad does happen. Do, please be considerate of others, espeically those who care most about you.;)

I have an app for my iPhone called "Alert Cops," available through the Spanish iTunes site. It allows you to register your presence in Spain and your itinerary with the Guardia Civil. I presume, but do not know if it is available for the Android OS. It also supports rapid reporting of incidents and crimes you see, in real time. However, it is NOT a substitute for dialing 112 and asking for "Ayuda por favor en inglés?"

I found the app on the Apple (US) web site. Here is that URL: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alertcops/id897454254?mt=8 just as an FYI, the app supports these languages: English, Basque, Catalan, Galician, and of course, Spanish.

I hope this helps.

Sadly Denise´s missing were reported a few days later of the date of her passing. The Guardia Civil didn´t learn anything last year, they have more than 170 years of experience figthing crime. One of the best Police Corps of the world, in my opinion. ( they found the german pilgrim a few hours after her missing were reported) But sometimes, us neglected ( or stupid) pilgrims test their professionalism.

At the time I was Hospitalero at San Anton. The ´Guardia´ came to check our register and we had the Burgos Metro pop in just before. These guys are no Disneyland cops , they are immaculatley dressed and thorough with their jobs ...... respect! .............perhaphs one day they may help me.:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back