• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fountain near Triacastela on the San Xil Route

Cuttooth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016), (2020), (2022)
Anyone know the story about the fountain in the image below? I was able to find it on google maps, sort of Map Link

IMG_20220825_213227.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Built by the nuns of St Xil in 1497, this fountain has served as beacon to travelers, bringing them away from the brothers at Samos.

Nah ;) - just being funny. We arrived at sunrise and the reflection on the fountain was wonderful. I thought there was a sign next to it, but alas my memory is on the sunshine not the sign.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yeah - I was definitely drawn to it but alas I have no knowledge of any story (but I do like the St Xil nun diversion one ;))
This one was taken on 18 June at 6:00AM
20220618_064650.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Built by the nuns of St Xil in 1497, this fountain has served as beacon to travelers, bringing them away from the brothers at Samos.

Nah ;) - just being funny. We arrived at sunrise and the reflection on the fountain was wonderful. I thought there was a sign next to it, but alas my memory is on the sunshine not the sign.
You had me going there for a hot minute.... I was thinking - those were some crafty sisters ;-)

Anyone know the story about the fountain in the image below?
View attachment 131683

I guess if there were much of a story to tell about this fountain it could be found in "The Complete Cultural Handbook" about the Camino de Santiago by David Gitliz and Linda Davidson.

Their account is short: It is the modern Fuente Vieira, remodelled for the Holy Year 1993.

And (translated) from a Spanish blog: This was originally a simple water pipe/spout that still remains, but for the 1993 Holy Year, it was adorned with a huge scallop, and a large stone bench was placed around it.

Last edited:
I thought there was a sign next to it
There is. I didn't notice the plaque but at least one person took a photo once. The text is difficult to read but one can make out the words Xunta - "Government", with "Galicia" beneath it perhaps - and then the words Conselleria de Agricultura, Ganaderia y Montes - "Department for Agriculture, Lifestock Farming and Mountains" - followed by "1992". The Holy Year 1993 was the year for which the regional government of Galicia had heavily promoted the Camino de Santiago to attract Spanish and international visitors to Galicia. It is the year when the contemporary Camino de Santiago really took off as an international destination. The fountain was presumably financed in the context of a program for rural development - hence the department for agriculture is named and not a department for culture or religion or tourism.

So there is a story to the fountain after all. More recent and more prosaic than expected perhaps but a story nevertheless. :cool:

Xunta.jpg

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is. I didn't notice the plaque but at least one person took a photo once. The text is difficult to read but one can make out the words Xunta - "Government", with "Galicia" beneath it perhaps - and then the words Conselleria de Agricultura, Ganaderia y Montes - "Department for Agriculture, Lifestock Farming and Mountains" - followed by "1992". The Holy Year 1993 was the year for which the regional government of Galicia had heavily promoted the Camino de Santiago to attract Spanish and international visitors to Galicia. It is the year when the contemporary Camino de Santiago really took off as an international destination. The fountain was presumably financed in the context of a program for rural development - hence the department for agriculture is named and not a department for culture or religion or tourism.

So there is a story to the fountain after all. More recent and more prosaic than expected perhaps but a story nevertheless. :cool:

View attachment 131707

Prosaic as it may be it is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for taking the time to relay the story.

View attachment 131707
This isn't the sign I remember, but thinking back on things, no way was there a rectangular sign similar to the roadside ones we see in the US. Faulty memory proven :)

Thanks a lot @Cuttooth - now I'm busy remembering this crazy fountain and that mornings proceedings.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back