• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fountain water quality

Siom

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino Frances around Sep 15
Hi past pilgrims, in the Yellow Guide book, it was mentioned that 'due to the high chlorine content of the pipe or fountain water, many pilgrims prefer to buy inexpensive plastic bottles of non-carbonated mineral water'. Like to know past experience whether water from the fountain taste like swimming pool water? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi past pilgrims, in the Yellow Guide book, it was mentioned that 'due to the high chlorine content of the pipe or fountain water, many pilgrims prefer to buy inexpensive plastic bottles of non-carbonated mineral water'. Like to know past experience whether water from the fountain taste like swimming pool water? Thanks
Only drank fountain water,never a problem with taste or quality.Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I remember getting water a handful of times that tasted a little "off," but it was no big deal. You'd be surprised what you can drink when you're thirsty! Other than that, tap water on the Camino ranges from average to outstanding.

I did not have any issue at all with the water on the French route from either the bars, albergue sinks, outdoor water fountains, etc. It all tasted fine to me and I never got sick. I must say that some (many?) outdoor fountains on the Portuguese route looked a little too iffy to try. On the Camino Ignaciano, the problem was more that there were not many communal fountains to be found. But the on the French route, they are plentiful, clean and very good tasting. I avoided the few with non-potable signs but I knew a bunch of fellow pilgrims that even drank that without issue. Drinking probably 8-10 liters per day, I never felt the need to buy bottled water for the whole month.

I drank the fountain water as far as Logrono, after that it started to taste off so I switched to bottle water which is very cheap in Spain. The choice is yours, bottle water or take a chance on fountain water.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Chlorine is used for two reasons, one to dissenfect the other is odor control. There is a reason for a free and available residual being noticeable at point source.

And don't forget to take the imodium with you.

I have drunk from the fountains on the camino with no problem. I always put a few water purification tablets in my very basic first aid kit just in case as well, but never used them walking the camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
i wouldn't, nothing worse than an upset stomach when it can easily be avoided.

i refill at taps with treated water, which we know are treated. more than four years of austerity measures makes me a bit uneasy on the will and funds to check outdoor fountains. then maybe i'm just being a bit psychotic.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, thanks for the reply. Think I should take imodine along and have a go with the fountain water and see how it goes.

Never had a problem with the fountain water.
If it's raining so hard that the streams are brown, you may want to purchase water.
Otherwise, no problem... at least for me.
PS: You can buy imodium at any Farmacia.

Hi all, thanks for the reply. Think I should take imodine along and have a go with the fountain water and see how it goes.

Fill your 500ml or 1 lt @ the alberque , the same water you shower in.
If you are in a pension or hotel all the better , its gold plated.

Every coffee shop you pass in the middle of nowhere visit the loo, pay a euro twenty for a coffee [ costs you a lot more at home] and fill your water....and talk to the crowd you will see for the next month.

If you don't buy don't use their facilities , simple as that.
If you see the locals using the water...you do.

By the way mate , the shops in Spain have been around a few hundred years longer than Brissie.
I'm sure they will have any tablets etc you desire so there is no need to bring imodium.
And may the Gods be with you in Galicia in regard to water.

PS: You can buy imodium at any Farmacia.
Yes you can! However it could be a long messy slog to the next Farmacia for example climbing Ibaneta or crossing the Meseta when you are in 'distress' and in need. Why not carry it with you; it weighs nil.

I carry two tablets of various sorts; two imodium, two antibiotics, two antihistamines, two strong painkillers. I figure two doses will get me to wherever help is available and I can buy more. Saves weight but useful in an emergency.

I carry two tablets of various sorts; two imodium, two antibiotics, two antihistamines, two strong painkillers. I figure two doses will get me to wherever help is available and I can buy more. Saves weight but useful in an emergency.

Three quarter time @ the footy Kanga.
Blood pressure, magnesium and paracetamol .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave, I am trying to ignore the footy. But you have reminded me to pack the magnesium tablets.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.