• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Four cases from the Camino

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
And many won't survive this one either. But also many more won't if we don't use some common sense.

I remember many times groups of let's say four people sitting at the same table in the bar all staring at their smart phones (are there any non-smart ones anymore?) dropping a line here or there. They could've done that easy with face masks I think. But suddenly there's a problem and a lot of folks complaining. Really? That's why I'm mentioning all those tragedies.
Thank you. I think that I misunderstood the point of your post.
Yes, many more of us will survive if we all do what's necessary to slow the spread of this virus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And many won't survive this one either. But also many more won't if we don't use some common sense.

I remember many times groups of let's say four people sitting at the same table in the bar all staring at their smart phones (are there any non-smart ones anymore?) dropping a line here or there. They could've done that easy with face masks I think. But suddenly there's a problem and a lot of folks complaining. Really? That's why I'm mentioning all those tragedies.
This is my point really...a lot of this is avoidable and capable of being reduced.
Unless more personal responsibility is accepted then the mistakes of the very recent past will be repeated.

I am from the safest place in the US right now: Maine. My specific area of Maine has had only one death and only 45 cases. Still everyone wears masks absolutely everywhere. So.....I would be a particularly "safe" person to hike the Camino.

And I had plans to do that this fall. Now, however, because of the incompetence of our Federal government, I cannot enter Spain.

But that's not my point. My point is even though I am certain I am not a carrier now, the flight over and subsequent lodging could change that. I 65 and, obviously, do not want to be sick. But more importantly, I would NOT want to bring this illness into the albergues and villages that I would pass through. This is an issue for anyone hiking. Yes, the Camino is a special place and maybe this is the only time you can find the time to do it. But.......do you really think it's responsible to hike now when you could be moving the virus into vulnerable places?? Seems selfish to me. Let's all wait until it's safe for everyone, including the people who live there. ESPECIALLY for the people who live there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Exactly!
People in Leningrad survived, Stalingrad, Sarajevo, WW1&2, Spanish Flu, you name it. And all of mentioned lasted quite longer than recent virus spread.

The is estimated that over 50 million people worldwide died during the Spanish flu. Sure. There were survivors. That's not the point though, is it? BTW, the Spanish flu came in 3 waves. The first was similar to what we now have with COVID. The second wave in the fall was far more deadly. The final wave less so.

It ain't over yet.

Last edited:
It ain't over yet.

Sadly, I think you are right. But what do we do, despair? Or carry on, like mankind has always done?
Ps: Don’t misunderstand me, I am as horrified and scared as everyone else. I have never lived through anything like this. I was fortunate not to know any of the World Wars although I heard about them from my grand-parents and other family members.
I do whatever I can to protect myself and others. I am scared for my children and grand-children and funnily enough they fear for me 😳
But somehow, we have to go on, don’t we? Like the others did before us.... What else is there to do?
Ultreia!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sadly, I think you are right. But what do we do, despair? Or carry on, like mankind has always done?

Patience. Pandemics have lifespans and this one will either peter out on its own or we will learn how to treat it or find an effective vaccine. In the meantime, I plan to avoid getting it! If that means postponing my next Camino, so be it. And, at 65, I'm not getting any younger.

Patience. Pandemics have lifespans and this one will either peter out on its own or we will learn how to treat it or find an effective vaccine. In the meantime, I plan to avoid getting it! If that means postponing my next Camino, so be it. And, at 65, I'm not getting any younger.
I'm with you on that....who knows, when this is all over it may turn out better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’re right and ... sadly today I have not much faith in ‘us’. I visited my son in Oxford this week-end and everywhere we walked..... really... there were discarded masks on the ground. Our youngest grandchild was with us and I felt shame. 🙁
I'm sorry. A lot of my faith in human behaviour is being tested on a daily basis as well.
This could be the test we all needed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
(
I'm with you on that....who knows, when this is all over it may turn out better.

While, I, as a senior, know it is hard for us retirees to delay walking, thinking our time to walk On the camino is limited, I am so grateful for having been able to journey for many years. I am retired, have a home and am comfortable. I keep thinking and, yes, praying for so many hospitalized people here in my own country who have children who are home, parents who have no income and are going to food banks, refugees all over the world with no clean water to prevent the spread of the virus. Let us look forward to walking again while balancing all the blessings most of us enjoy. Stay safe everyone!

(

While, I, as a senior, know it is hard for us retirees to delay walking, thinking our time to walk On the camino is limited, I am so grateful for having been able to journey for many years. I am retired, have a home and am comfortable. I keep thinking and, yes, praying for so many hospitalized people here in my own country who have children who are home, parents who have no income and are going to food banks, refugees all over the world with no clean water to prevent the spread of the virus. Let us look forward to walking again while balancing all the blessing most of us enjoy.
At the moment I am delaying...going to bed.
You are right. There is much to be thankful for and there will be many worse off than ourselves. Much to be thankful for.
At the moment there are too many disconnects...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The ‘pause’ could be a long one...
On our short time scale, yes. Ths flu in 1918 took a few years to burn out. But people survived, as we will; how long it takes depends on what we do.

A few years is actually nothing much in the sweep of human history. We need a little patience, which is no small task to cultivate - it's in particularly short supply thanks to our instant gratification culture. Four short months of restraint and people are going a little nuts - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/30/off-their-heads-the-shocking-return-of-the-rave

On our short time scale, yes. Ths flu in 1918 took a few years to burn out. But people survived, as we will; how long it takes depends on what we do.

A few years is actually nothing much in the sweep of human history. We need a little patience, which is no small task to cultivate - it's in particularly short supply thanks to our instant gratification culture. Four short months of restraint and people are going a little nuts - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jun/30/off-their-heads-the-shocking-return-of-the-rave
Thank you @VNwalking .
Because I have paused (and am still pausing) it gives me time to think. I see things as temporary and a time for change.
I see this as a time to become "influencers" and set an example to another generation and to those around us who haven't got the message...
I am sorry @domigee of your experience recently. We are all responsible for that.
There is much I could say but here is not the place to say it....but it should still be said.
Be positive...it is always darkest before the dawn.

Last edited:
I thought I would finish up with a quote that has a tenuous link to the thread at best but might raise a smile.

"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me because as we know there are known unknowns, there are things we know we know.... but there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know" D.Rumsfeld.

Have fun and chins up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me because as we know there are known unknowns, there are things we know we know.... but there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."
I relate to this and could have just as well written it myself! 😁🙃😁

The virus is a respiratory virus and by nature more virulent in winter? It's blowing through the USA in the heat of the summer when many felt confident it would die out in the heat. Not sure it can get much worse in winter.
Oh yes it can, sadly . Hospitals struggling to cope with current numbers of ill people in summer. Add people needing care because of the yearly flu. One set will crowd out the other, resulting in more fatalities for both.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of that I have no doubt. I would hope for a cleaner, kinder and more responsible world. It is a thoughtless minority which have given me doubts.
The minority is the weakest link you have spoken of often...unfortunately there are quite a few of those weak links about.

I am a Nurse-Midwife trying to take care of the age group (18-40) that seems to be spreading this virus the most with "Covid parties" and refusals to wear masks and social distance "because Covid is a hoax and I wont be told what to do". I had a patient refuse to wear a mask at her office appointment last week as our Covid numbers soared, despite multiple requests to do so and it being the law in California. She wrote me up because I was curtly polite to her at that visit. I am working really hard to stay healthy so I CAN take care of Covid Karen and Kens like her. But... I have no children, my husband died this past March from cancer, so if I get sick I am truly alone. And unfortunately, I do not have a choice about taking care of her or anyone else who thinks they can be irresponsible regarding this. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help us take care of you!!! ( Well I do have a choice, but it would require quitting my job and losing my healthcare, so sort of a choice 😜😖)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.