• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Four Days In Southern England

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Sorry, not a pilgrimage question, but could be classified as “camino training” ;). Hoping some UK members can help with some suggestions. I arrive Heathrow at 6.30am on 6 April and have time for a 4-day walk before having to be back in London Sunday evening, 9th. At the moment I’m looking at the Thames Path. If I do that, which would be the nicest 4 days to walk? Or any other suggestions? I will be using public transport and will have to stay in B&Bs, Youth Hostels or hotels. Thanks for any help in helping me decide where to head for when I get off the plane :cool:
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Other possibilities might be the western half of the Ridgeway - ending at the amazing Neolithic sites at Avebury. Or the final stages of the North Downs Way ending in Canterbury. Both marked National Trails and with a bit more variation in scenery than the Thames Path would provide. The official website for the National Trails has interactive maps with accommodation listed along the routes, plus distance calculators.
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/the-trails

PS. In case you are not already aware of it there is an excellent public transport planning website covering most of the UK : http://www.traveline.info/

Last edited:
I would be wary of the North Downs way as accommodation choices are few and expensive. Similarly, South Downs Way is a lovely walk but accommodation choices are limited. Must say that I rarely walk any distances in UK as it is too expensive! Cheaper to fly to Spain and walk!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually the SDW isn't too bad. A chance to walk the beautiful South Downs in spring with little sheeplets boinging all over the place and the early orchids sneaking a peak. YHA hostels in Eastbourne, at Southease near Lewes and at Truleigh Hill ( near Tincatinker land ;)). Beds @£10-15 per night. £12 membership gets you some discount on bed prices. After that its Pub type B&B usually at @ £75 - £100 a night.

If you fancy an evening in the company of a reprobate, grumpy, occasional moderator and his charming wife PM me. We have a pilgrim room.

Sorry, not a pilgrimage question, but could be classified as “camino training” ;). Hoping some UK members can help with some suggestions. I arrive Heathrow at 6.30am on 6 April and have time for a 4-day walk before having to be back in London Sunday evening, 9th. At the moment I’m looking at the Thames Path. If I do that, which would be the nicest 4 days to walk? Or any other suggestions? I will be using public transport and will have to stay in B&Bs, Youth Hostels or hotels. Thanks for any help in helping me decide where to head for when I get off the plane :cool:
Jill

A Londoner friend of mine is currently walking the London Loop, in stages. I haven't done it myself so don't know what it's like but it may be of interest to you?

http://www.longdistancewalks.com/london_loop/

http://www.luphen.org.uk/walks/london_loop/london-loop.htm

Jill, I love the SDW and believe all those rolling chalk hills to be an excellent aperitif for a camino!
Unfortunately there are some breaks in hostel accommodation, especially since the YHA one in Alfriston closed. You could..
take the train to Brighton, walk east to the Telscombe hostel about 7-9 miles depending on whether you choose to stick to the coast or meander in the hilly hinterland. I haven't stayed at Telscombe but have heard it's albergue-like... You could also go to the Southease hostel that Tinca mentions, which is about 3 miles further on
Day 2 pick up the SDW going north, and at Southease either head for quaint Alfriston (its fantastic church is nick-named the cathedral of the South Downs), in all it's about 10 miles, and stay in B&B and next day either stay inland along SDW to Eastbourne or south to longer coastal option via the Seven Sisters, which once experienced is never forgotten (but both ways are nice). Another option after Telscombe would be to go north to the historic country town of Lewes and explore it and stay in B&B. Then the next day walk East to Hassocks, for which you might need an OS map (or GPS I s'pose) to find the footpath which goes right from the hills down to the station...
Cheers, tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For accommodation look at Air BnB, that might offer cheaper options than regular good but pricey accommodation. If you have not registered and verified yourself on Air BnB I suggest you organise that before you leave home. Once you've been verified it is easy to use.

I was on the North Downs and Pilgrims Way last Saturday. Enjoyed two excellent daytime concerts at St Martha's near Guildford. great views from there.
There is also the Downs Link from nr. Guildford you can walk that and arrive at the sea at Shoreham. (off the top of my head I think it is about 59 km). A great time of year to walk our green and pleasant land, if it doesn't rain too much.

Last edited:
Tom, sadly YHA Telscombe has gone the way of all flesh (and marketable property). Hence my suggestion of Eastbourne, Southease, Truleigh Hill. Each a vigorous but do-able stride across the Downs and rail access from and to Heathrow, via Victoria, from Eastbourne, Lewes, Brighton and Shoreham.

Hey, maybe we should try it out and test our recommendations ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions – I knew I could count on you all :)
I’ll spend some time looking at them, and see which looks best regarding transport and accommodation options.
Jill

Rochester to Canterbury along the North Downs Way. There is a guidebook.

Winchester to Portsmouth along the Pilgrim's Trail. Guide from tourist office in Winchester.

I have walked both of these and enjoyed both. Accommodation is expensive.

Jill
Jill
If you're happy to travel a bit - have a look at the Peak Pilgrimage - 3 days beautiful walking in the Peak District.
Alternatively you could walk from Winchester to Canterbury?
Or have a look at the British Pilgrimage web site - they organise walks and could give advice
Ned

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow! Thanks, @jsalt , for this post! I'll be walking the Thames Path starting mid-April & may have opportunity to try other walks in So England. This opens so many possibilities!! Buen Camino!!
Terry

Isle of Wight has some great walks and places to explore.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.