• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Four days Santaigo to Finisterre. Suggested stops?

Paul OBrien

My wife and I are contemplating our first Camino and we would like to do the Santiago to Finistere. My wife though thinks that some of the days on this Camino may be just a bit too long doing it in 3 days. We have the time to do it in Four days but would there be suitable overnight stops doing it in 4 days? Many thanks for any help and suggestions.
Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paul - the Confraternity of St James has recently published a new up-to-date guide to this route by Alison Raju - it is available to download free of charge http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm They invite you to consider making a donation. I'm sure you will get the information you want there.

Alison says the following: "How long does it take? Allow at least three days, preferably four, to walk to Finisterre, with possibile overnight stops in Negreira, Olveiroa, either Cée or Corcubión and Finisterre itself, plus a day for the (recommended) continuation to Muxía. The actual walking is not hard but there are a lot of climbs and descents."

Could you squeeze another day and go round to Muxia? it is wonderful.

Regards

John

Thanks john for the advice. It is the first days trek to Negreira which might be the problem. Is there any overnight stops slighly closer. We will be in training for the Camino but will be going in July and thus the heat might be a problem. We dont get many opportunties to walk long hours in the sun in Ireland!!!!!
Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Paul - that first stage is what about 20 kms, if I remember correctly? I don't think there is accommodation listed in the Guide. I think if you want to avoid the heat you should set of really early but you would be looking at arriving in about 5 - 7 hours depending on your rate of walking and breaks - surely do-able? If not, an option would be to get the bus or a tax for the first 4,5 kms or so and then walk.

Rgds

John

Hello Paul,
I walked that route in August, 2008. I left Santiago quite late as I was seeing off some friends before I hit off on the Camino. From Santiago to Negreira is 21.3 km. according to my map. It was a lovely walk and didn't seem to hot even though I walked through the heat of the day since, as I mentioned, I didn't leave Santiago until nearly noon.

One point about Negreira. The albergue is about 1km beyond town. You must go all the way through Negreira, past the Chapel of San Mauro and the fortress, Pazo de O Cotón and then on up the hill to the albergue. When I arrived it was completo. I had met another peregrino and we returned to the town and stayed in the Inn on the main street on the left as you enter the town. They had a Pilgrim's Deal - something like €30 for a double room with twin beds including breakfast.

Negreira to Olveiroa (33.2 km) was quite hilly and walking on a high ridge. The scenery was beautifull, but I found there was a good bit of road (albeit quiet road) walking. There was a nice albergue in Olveiroa with some spectacular horreos. If you decide to stay in Olveiroa, consider dining in the restaurant Os Pios (I think that is the name - I mentioned it in another thread in this section) I believe the Pilgrim menu was €12 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time!

When I left Olveiroa in the early morning, it was raining and deeply foggy. I was walking beside a deep gorge with a swiftly flowing river - I could hear it, but I could not see it. It was very eerie - the rocks on the path were a dark green! At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but sure enough, I picked one up for further inspection later, and it was definitely dark green! When I arrived at Hospital, I took the route to Muxía, but you can go on in the direction of Fisterra. I was told (and have read here) that the albergue at Corcubión is one of the best on the Caminos. From Olveiroa to Fisterra is 30 km.

If you are interested in seeing the photos from my trip, the link to my web album is posted in the "photos and blogs" section of this thread.

Buen Camino,

Paul OBrien said:
My wife and I are contemplating our first Camino and we would like to do the Santiago to Finistere. My wife though thinks that some of the days on this Camino may be just a bit too long doing it in 3 days. We have the time to do it in Four days but would there be suitable overnight stops doing it in 4 days? Many thanks for any help and suggestions.
Paul

I would suggest to different options to stay 4 days:

1) Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Corcubion-Fisterra

2) Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Fisterra-Muxia.

And a third one:

3) Santiago-Negriera-Olveiroa-Muxia-Fisterra

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have decided to walk to Finisterre at the end of June and it appears that there are more options on this route than most guide books and websites suggest:

21.3km Santiago to Negreira
11.5km Negreira to Villaserio (Hostel in old school)
20.5km Villaserio to Olveiroa
or:
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña (New 10 bed hostel)
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
19.5km Olveiroa to Corcubion
8.5km Olveiroa to Finisterre
or:
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre

I think I would like to do:

21.3km Santiago to Negreira
19.5km Negreira to Moranas/Santa Mariña
12.5km Moranas/Santa Mariña to Olveiroa
28km Olveiroa to Finisterre

But - if one is not staying at the refuge in Finisterre you could take 5 days by walking Olveiroa to Corcubion on day 4, and take an easy 8.5km stroll into Finisterre on the 5th day.

Hello Paul.

I walked to Finisterre two weeks ago. I took four days to do so with the intention of using the refugios each night. However, the refugio at Negeira was full, ( used hotel instead ), Refugio at Olveira was also close to capacity by the time i arrived mid-afternoon. In contrast, i took my time and stopped a Corcubion by midday the following day........the hospitaleros here provided sterling hospitality......providing lunch even though i arrived very early, followed by a full communal meal with other peregrinos later the same night and breakfast the next morning. Although this refugio is quite close to Finisterre, i would recommend a stop there.

The albergue in Finisterre was closed for approximately three days when i arrived there. I understand this was due to renovations being carried out at the existing albergue ( not apparently as a consequence of bed bug infestation ).

A high proportion walking the route at the time were German. ( approximately 70-80% ) Speaking to some, there has been recent publicity on German television about the camino which may explain the high numbers.

Hope this helps

Gerald

and stopped a Corcubion by midday the following day........the hospitaleros here provided sterling hospitality......providing lunch even though i arrived very early, followed by a full communal meal with other peregrinos later the same night and breakfast the next morning.

Eish!! Breakfast, lunch and dinner! I will be volunteering at Corcubion from 30th June to 13th July -better sharpen up my cooking skills!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Javier.
I have been reading a hospitalero's blog and asking others about scrubbing toilets, pulling hair out of shower drains, mopping floors - dealing with "tramposos" who try to wheedle their way into a free night after walking only 5 km from the last place - and cooking for 20 people every day for two weeks. Yippeee.... I can't wait!!!!

Hi,

I'd need help for my friends; they are walking now.
They heard, that in Galicia no one can sleep on the floor in the albergues.

where could they sleep in Negreira, Olveiroa, Muxia and Fisterra, if the albergues are full?
thanks

kriszta

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I slept in a hotel in Negreira. In Olvieroa they put you in a stable!
In Fistera there are 2 other, private albergues (10 euro) and a number of hotels - and hotels in Muxia.

I just did the Santiago to Finisterre route in four days.

Santiago - Negreira
Negreira - Santa Mariña
Santa Mariña - Cee
Cee - Finisterre

In Santa Mariña I stayed at a private lodging at one of the bars. They had 10 beds. Two bunk beds on the lower floor and 6 regular beds one floor up. It was clean with nice beds, pillows and blankets but no heating in the house. It got quite chilly. 10€.

In Cée they just opened up a new private Albergue with 20 beds (bunkbeds). It's located on Av de Finisterra. Very nice and clean with large showers and friendly staff. 10€.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could have stayed at Corcubion at the lovely San Roque albergue for a donation, best showers on the whoile camino, with dinner and breakfast included. And a beautiful big park to laze in after you've done your washing! And, a view of Carbo Finisterre from your dorm window.

sillydoll said:
You could have stayed at Corcubion at the lovely San Roque albergue for a donation, best showers on the whoile camino, with dinner and breakfast included. And a beautiful big park to laze in after you've done your washing! And, a view of Carbo Finisterre from your dorm window.

I thought about continuing to Corcubion after Cée but it was getting late and my feat were really hurting.

I'm just biased!
I served there last year in July and it was magical!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Four days Santaigo to Finisterre..Bus returning to Santiago?

hello
thanks for all the plan options. Now I'm wondering if there's a bus in Muxia to take me back to Santiago on a morning during the week. I have time to walk from Santiago there but not to walk back.
thanks
Donna

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
now i'm reading the site and the times you list are from Santiago to Muxia, correct?
i need the times for the return to Santiago from Muxia.
It's not obvious to me where to click on the site for those times.

Muxía - Santiago
De Luns a Venres
Saída Percorrido Empresa
7:30 Muxía - Santiago Ferrín
14:30 Muxía - Santiago Ferrín

Sábados e domingos
Saída Percorrido Empresa
7:30 Muxía - Santiago Ferrín
18:45 Muxía - Santiago Ferrín

Hello Paul,
I walked that route in August, 2008. I left Santiago quite late as I was seeing off some friends before I hit off on the Camino. From Santiago to Negreira is 21.3 km. according to my map. It was a lovely walk and didn't seem to hot even though I walked through the heat of the day since, as I mentioned, I didn't leave Santiago until nearly noon.

One point about Negreira. The albergue is about 1km beyond town. You must go all the way through Negreira, past the Chapel of San Mauro and the fortress, Pazo de O Cotón and then on up the hill to the albergue. When I arrived it was completo. I had met another peregrino and we returned to the town and stayed in the Inn on the main street on the left as you enter the town. They had a Pilgrim's Deal - something like €30 for a double room with twin beds including breakfast.

Negreira to Olveiroa (33.2 km) was quite hilly and walking on a high ridge. The scenery was beautifull, but I found there was a good bit of road (albeit quiet road) walking. There was a nice albergue in Olveiroa with some spectacular horreos. If you decide to stay in Olveiroa, consider dining in the restaurant Os Pios (I think that is the name - I mentioned it in another thread in this section) I believe the Pilgrim menu was €12 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time!

When I left Olveiroa in the early morning, it was raining and deeply foggy. I was walking beside a deep gorge with a swiftly flowing river - I could hear it, but I could not see it. It was very eerie - the rocks on the path were a dark green! At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but sure enough, I picked one up for further inspection later, and it was definitely dark green! When I arrived at Hospital, I took the route to Muxía, but you can go on in the direction of Fisterra. I was told (and have read here) that the albergue at Corcubión is one of the best on the Caminos. From Olveiroa to Fisterra is 30 km.

If you are interested in seeing the photos from my trip, the link to my web album is posted in the "photos and blogs" section of this thread.

Buen Camino,

Deidre, If you could only do Finisterre OR Muxia...what would you recommend? Finisterre sounds busy...but the lighthouse intrigues me and it being the real END? Thoughts? I have 4 days, but I'd rather do it in a more leisurely way...

Deidre, If you could only do Finisterre OR Muxia...what would you recommend? Finisterre sounds busy...but the lighthouse intrigues me and it being the real END? Thoughts? I have 4 days, but I'd rather do it in a more leisurely way...
@Deidre last visited in February. I know there are those that say Finisterre has some mystical status as the end, which might sway you towards there. I liked Muxia, and would go there again if I only had limited time.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back