• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Four weeks - where to start?

Varda

Time of past OR future Camino
My friend and I have four weeks to walk. We will be 50 when we go, fairly fit, but neither of us is an athlete by any means. We want to be able to take rest days, not to be constantly hustling along; to appreciate the journey, not rush through it. I thought we would start from Pamplona, but in reading here, many people say that 4 weeks isn't long enough unless you push it.

Where do folks recommend we start? I'd prefer not to skip parts by bus, but start somewhere and walk to the end.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes Pamplona, but if you really want to take it easy start in Estella or Logrono, this will really give you time to smell the roses, have rest days and enjoy the walk at your leisure. If you have days to spare at the end walk to Finisterra and Muxia.
Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My friend and I have four weeks to walk. We will be 50 when we go, fairly fit, but neither of us is an athlete by any means. We want to be able to take rest days, not to be constantly hustling along; to appreciate the journey, not rush through it. I thought we would start from Pamplona, but in reading here, many people say that 4 weeks isn't long enough unless you push it.

Where do folks recommend we start? I'd prefer not to skip parts by bus, but start somewhere and walk to the end.

Varda:

If you have 28 walking days, you can easily walk from Pamplona. You will have to average about 26 km's or 15 miles per day (very doable). If you start slowly there will be ample opportunity to walk a couple of 32 km days on the Meseta.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I started in Pamplona last year and with 3 rest days I felt like we pushed it ...I am 56 and was walking as a Breast Cancer survivor.
It took us 33 days ....but I am definitely a step aside pilgrim and in the beginning we soaked our feet in every stream and had coffee con leche at every town...
we learned quickly we needed to get going earlier and still enjoy the walk....the Meseta was my favorite part but it was hot... so going in the dark was necessary..... we walked August 28th until arrival in Santiago on October 1st. This year I am walking from SJP I am slowing it down...hope this helps

I walked from SJJP and it took me 30 days and from Pamplona it took 27 days and if I am honest I felt I rushed it and did not take it all in,
I always got up at 0530 and was on my way by 0600,most days I would walk for a minimum of 6 hours .
Hope that helps

I must side with Joyhappens - ask yourself again why, why am I doing this? The Camino offers endless opportunities to establish friendships and instances of great camaraderie between people of all nations bound towards a common peaceful goal. The Camino will allow you to discover your inner self and motivations especially and primarily those not just concerning kilometers! The Camino presents a thousand years of history, art and architecture should you decide to seek them out. The Camino will grant you endless spiritual epiphanies, religious and those not. Ask yourself, a daily twenty six kilometers is truly not that much but you will be required to do so today, tomorrow, next week, and probably next month. Will you be willing to forgo some of the wonders mentioned above in order to finish the daily ration? Is the Compostela document important? Probably, so allow yourself the freedom to slow down, to enjoy, to be amazed all along the Camino that you have chosen to walk by starting even further down the line, say Logroño.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must side with Joyhappens - ask yourself again why, why am I doing this? The Camino offers endless opportunities to establish friendships and instances of great camaraderie between people of all nations bound towards a common peaceful goal. The Camino will allow you to discover your inner self and motivations especially and primarily those not just concerning kilometers! The Camino presents a thousand years of history, art and architecture should you decide to seek them out. The Camino will grant you endless spiritual epiphanies, religious and those not. Ask yourself, a daily twenty six kilometers is truly not that much but you will be required to do so today, tomorrow, next week, and probably next month. Will you be willing to forgo some of the wonders mentioned above in order to finish the daily ration? Is the Compostela document important? Probably, so allow yourself the freedom to slow down, to enjoy, to be amazed all along the Camino that you have chosen to walk by starting even further down the line, say Logroño.

Varda:

I do not disagree with what Scruffy is saying. That said, it depends on what you want from your walk. As I said above, I believe this walk can be done easily from Pamplona in 28 walking days. You will also be able to smell some of the roses. The average walker on the Camino probably walks about 4 km's per hour or 2.5 mph. I am 64 and walk 5 kmph. At 4 kmph you can start at 7 to 8am each day and finish at 2 to 3pm. This would allow for two half hour breaks. After check in, shower, wash clothes, blog, read, take a short nap and you will still have time to see local sites or relax with your new Camino family. In many villages/towns there is nothing else to do. Major cities provide a few more options. Dinner is around 8pm or later. Then it is bed and start all over again tomorrow.

If you are looking for a sightseeing tour of interesting Attractions on or near the Camino, I recommend you start in Burgos. This would allow you plenty of time to see whatever you want and rest whenever you choose too. You will be able to get a Compostela and possibly walk to Finisterre.

The Camino is a bit like the movie "Ground Hog Day", very repetitious, except the scenery and some of the Characters change everyday.

I would start in Pamplona but whatever your choice it will be the right one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe (64)

Sorry of having responded to Varda's question rather bluntly, earlier on, I had to rush to the airport. As Joe has elaborated, the time frame of four weeks and the start in Pamplona will make it a perfect Camino. But to suggest an additional walk to Muxia/Finisterre is overloading the wagon, don't! Keep it simple and concentrate on the Camino, of which that side trip is not part. If you end up with an extra day and really nice weather in SdC, drive to the coast by a bus tour or (much better-) rent a small car (about €45 plus gas which you can share with some compañeros) and give yourself a well earned treat. (OR.....make it an extra journey some other time, when you return to Spain...and return you will!)
Buen Camino.

I appreciate these different perspectives. Scruffy, your words "speak to my condition" as the Quakers say.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I allowed about 28 days to walk from Pamplona and it wasn't enough. I was 53, had trained quite a bit, walking as much as 20K in less than four hours, but it turned out that 20K on the Camino was a good, full day. I walked up to 28K a few times, but was satisfied with my 20K days. As I got to Sahagun, I knew I was going to come up short in reaching Santiago, so I bused ahead about 100K and reached Santiago with days to spare. I probably didn't need to bus ahead that much, but I would say 33 days is about right from Pamplona ...

I started in Pamplona last year and with 3 rest days I felt like we pushed it ...I am 56 and was walking as a Breast Cancer survivor.
It took us 33 days ....but I am definitely a step aside pilgrim and in the beginning we soaked our feet in every stream and had coffee con leche at every town...
we learned quickly we needed to get going earlier and still enjoy the walk....the Meseta was my favorite part but it was hot... so going in the dark was necessary..... we walked August 28th until arrival in Santiago on October 1st. This year I am walking from SJP I am slowing it down...hope this helps

Hi - Our "day 1" is September lst from SJPP. Perhaps our weather will be similar to yours? So you would advise heading out in the dark? I'd rather that than the heat. Getting nervous and excited. I'm encouraged that you're doing it again. Any other Canadian pilgrims heading out September lst from SJPP?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Heading out in the dark has its dangers. Last Sept we met a Dutch lady in Logroño parochial albergue who had a broken ankle and was devastated that her Camino was finished, for that year. She had started out in the dark from Los Arcos and was using her phone's illumination to look for arrows; unfortunately, she didn't have enough light to look out for irregularities under her feet. This is not a particularly difficult part of the Camino, surface-wise, so beware of pushing too hard with inadequate light. Take your time and enjoy yourselves!

Hi - Our "day 1" is September lst from SJPP. Perhaps our weather will be similar to yours? So you would advise heading out in the dark? I'd rather that than the heat. Getting nervous and excited. I'm encouraged that you're doing it again. Any other Canadian pilgrims heading out September lst from SJPP?
Heading out in the dark has its dangers. Last Sept we met a Dutch lady in Logroño parochial albergue who had a broken ankle and was devastated that her Camino was finished, for that year. She had started out in the dark from Los Arcos and was using her phone's illumination to look for arrows; unfortunately, she didn't have enough light to look out for irregularities under her feet. This is not a particularly difficult part of the Camino, surface-wise, so beware of pushing too hard with inadequate light. Take your time and enjoy yourselves!
I kew her as well...

I kew her as well...
Hi you need a very good head lamp ....and you need to go slow. The best part of going early is the Phenomenal sunrise everyday.
I always said God slowly turned on the lights for our day. It is nice to walk as the sun comes up it's peaceful quiet and I loved the serenity.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Varda. I am 46 and of very average fitness (although I trained a fair amount before going; see "Training" on my blog.) It took me 33 days including one layover day (in Boadilla albergue, "En El Camino") from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in June and July this year. I took one bus, 7km from central León to Virgen del Camino but otherwise walked.

Let us know what you decide!

Leiper, you may very well be in Santiago by now! Did you end up "heading out in the dark"? Most days I left the albergues by 6, also to beat the heat.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back