• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foz do Douro or Matosinhos?

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Merry Christmas!
We're taking a nice break in Porto (6 to 14 July 2020), and experiencing the Douro on a river cruise.
When we disembark, we'll start walking along the Coastal Route. We'll probably disembark mid morning, and as we normally do, we'll be walking a short stage.
The choice we have is to walk to Foz do Douro (a short 7.5km from where we disembark), or to Matosinhos (12.7km).
Our question: which one of the two is a better place to stop for the night, and which of the two has better sightseeing for when we stop walking.
Obrigado!
Bom caminho!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Merry Christmas! There's not much difference in terms of distance. It's all level waking too. People go to Foz de Douro to see the lighthouse,the Park near the last tram stop, to enjoy the views and take the tram ride there or back if you walk there. There's not much else.

Matosinhos is better as it's got lots of hostels/hotels and shops etc. I stayed here
Pensão Central
Rua de Brito Capelo 599, 4450-075 Matosinhos, Portugal
+351 22 938 0664

You can visit the fish market and at its entrance there's a shop selling all of the great variety of canned shellfish. I ate at a fantastic seafish restaurant which is really popular with locals see
Salta O Muro
R. Heróis de França 386, 4450-155 Matosinhos, Portugal
+351 22 938 0879

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Merry Christmas! There's not much difference in terms of distance. It's all level waking too. People go to Foz de Douro to see the lighthouse,the Park near the last tram stop, to enjoy the views and take the tram ride there or back if you walk there. There's not much else.

Matosinhos is better as it's got lots of hostels/hotels and shops etc. I stayed here
Pensão Central
Rua de Brito Capelo 599, 4450-075 Matosinhos, Portugal
+351 22 938 0664

You can visit the fish market and at its entrance there's a shop selling all of the great variety of canned shellfish. I ate at a fantastic seafish restaurant which is really popular with locals see
Salta O Muro
R. Heróis de França 386, 4450-155 Matosinhos, Portugal
+351 22 938 0879

Thank you @MyDestinationGalicia , great suggestions!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Siggestion: Stay in Porto overnight then take the Metro to Matosinhos and walk from there.
The walk along the river and coast from Porto is very nice.

And after more than an overnight in Porto, I reckon we'll be rested and ready to experience that walk! :)

We stayed in Matosinhos at Fishtail Sea House and it was very nice. They have bunks and private rooms. Keep in mind that the walk from Porto will not take long and you might not be able to check-in until the afternoon. Porto is such a wonderful city, you might like spending 1/2 day there before heading to Matosinhos.

€60,-
We stayed in Matosinhos at Fishtail Sea House and it was very nice. They have bunks and private rooms. Keep in mind that the walk from Porto will not take long and you might not be able to check-in until the afternoon. Porto is such a wonderful city, you might like spending 1/2 day there before heading to Matosinhos.

Thank you for the suggestion, @Susan Peacock .
As I mentioned in my original post, we're disembarking from a Douro river cruise on the day, so we're not likely to get to Matosinhos early. And we're staying 3 days in Porto before walking.

I agree. Walk to Matosinhos! I also stayed at the Fishtail Sea House. It was one of the best I experienced on the Portuguese and had a very nice breakfast included...a stand out memory!

Merry Christmas!
We're taking a nice break in Porto (6 to 14 July 2020), and experiencing the Douro on a river cruise.
When we disembark, we'll start walking along the Coastal Route. We'll probably disembark mid morning, and as we normally do, we'll be walking a short stage.
The choice we have is to walk to Foz do Douro (a short 7.5km from where we disembark), or to Matosinhos (12.7km).
Our question: which one of the two is a better place to stop for the night, and which of the two has better sightseeing for when we stop walking.
Obrigado!
Bom caminho!
The walk to Matosinhos is easy and scenic. My husband and I stayed at "Leao de Ouro". The market is great.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back