• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fragrance of the Camino

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Perhaps it is because I walked my very first Camino in fall/autumn but since then I always feel remembered of the Camino when I smell the smoke of a wood fire coming out of a chimney.
For me the Camino smells like a homely, wood fire. What does it smell for you like?
Buen Camino, SY *that suffers a bout of Camino nostalgia*

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think a slight musty, damp, camping smell accompanied me most places on my last camino. Super hot/humid weatherpus a few days of thunderstorms meant nothing seemed to dry.

(Before anyone goes nuts about the camping thing, I was on GR78 and there are a lot of official campsites along the route which make camping a cheap and often very beautiful option - some of the campsites are on the top of the Cols)

Perhaps it is because I walked my very first Camino in fall/autumn but since then I always feel remembered of the Camino when I smell the smoke of a wood fire coming out of a chimney.
For me the Camino smells like a homely, wood fire. What does it smell for you like?
Buen Camino, SY *that suffers a bout of Camino nostalgia*
Great question. For me it was roses, I sniffed my way along the Portuguese Camino in May and June this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To learn to just smell the roses was a mayor lesson of my 2014 Camino - Thank you for reminding me! Buen Camino, SY

:D
All of the above. With smell from the different kitchens in villages, my sweat, wet dusty roads after summer showers, pine forests (maybe that's my favourite), iodine in the air when coming closer to Fisterra/Muxia...

Great thread BTW!

Walking out of SJPP one cool September morning - honeysuckle hanging over a garden wall on the left hand side of the road - still have the sprig in my credential.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino fragrance? Just breathe and enjoy. No injections needed, it is absorbed and flows through bloodstream. Afterwards we try to describe.

To learn to just smell the roses was a mayor lesson of my 2014 Camino - Thank you for reminding me! Buen Camino, SY

I was on the Primitivo walking with a girl from Finland. In a tiny village we saw they had beautiful roses and stopped to smell them. Then a van driving really fast saw us and screeched to a stop scaring us, the guy got out and started shouting at us. We wondered 'what have we done? We were just smelling the roses'. However, he saw our scared reaction and said No! He walked to the back of the van, opened it up, and gave us a whole tray of doughnuts. Before we could thank him he jumped back in the van and screeched off. Don't know if there is a moral in this somewhere, but after we had stopped laughing we decided it was just another day on the Camino!

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yep. Thyme, lavender, broom, coffee, brandy. But mainly the sinus clearing acrid stench of Galicia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love this thread!

I walked in spring: lilacs much of the way. Wet meadows in the early morning. The aroma of wet woods after a rain. Dusty roads. Mud. The river smell I cannot describe. Rain. Roses sometimes! Blooming rosemary growing in big clumps. Eucalyptus. Ocean. The wonderful aroma of a bakery in Muxia early one morning. Wildflowers -- and one morning later on, honeysuckle.

And yes, the cattle issues in Galicia. Or bus fumes in cities along the way. Or weird smells in albergues.

All pleasant memories! Thanks for taking me to those places that will always lurk deep within me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For me, it's the smell of chestnut trees when they are in flower. Since smells are so hard to put into words, I'd say it's kind of a tropical heavy sweet smell. I was first introduced to it on the Invierno, where there are millions of these trees, an on the circle to Penalba de Santiago. Since then I can smell a chestnut a mile away (ok, maybe not a mile away), and I love it. I make a point of hunting for the chestnuts when I smell them because they have to be among creation's most lovely and resilient trees. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Eucalyptus of course and dry pine forest but for me the main camino fragrance is fennel in the morning. I can get high on that.

Rain, moss covered stone, salt air, candle wax.

I believe I may start trying to bottle and sell some of these scents on etsy, different ones for different routes. No, wait, candles. And BATH SALTS! If it takes off, I'll share the profits :rolleyes:

I think so. We Irish can't decide whether to call it broom or gorse.

In Scotland the distinction is very clear: if you are pricked by several hundred thorns when you fall into the bush then it's gorse. Broom is the smooth and gentle stuff. I now live in a Welsh village whose name translates as "gorse ridge" :) A couple of weeks ago on the Llyn peninsula in north Wales I sampled some beer brewed with gorse flowers in the mix. Very pleasant.

CwrwEithin.png

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.