• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Francés May 2023

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi!
I start walking on the 4th May next year from SJPP going Vacarlos route; 2 nights in Pamplona and booked up to Estella on the 10th May.
My flight leaves Santiago on the 31st.
If i could i would have liked to walk the whole way but the time i have available makes that a no go!
I want to enjoy it so 20-25km max days are what i am hope to walk and i am aware that includes the last hundred km!

Can anybody give me the heads up as to which stages are worth a miss between Estella and Sarria to reach Santiago by the 30th.
All the best Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tough call @woody66 .

The usual response to this question, which I agree with, goes something like.........

1. Skipping stages breaks the 'flow' of your Camino and will also mean you part company with those you meet.
  2. It's hard to suggest what stages to miss as they all have appeal in different ways.
  3. Why not just start closer and have one continuous walk?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Given that you start on the 4th and need to end on the 30th (flight next day) you have 26 days to walk.
Allow at least 1 rest day.
Leaves you 25.
At 20 kms / day on average, you can walk 500 kms.

Why not start at Burgos? (492 kms out)

If you want to stick to your plan, you need to cut out about 300 kms after Estella.
You also need to consider ease of transport.
I would cut one big chunk of 300 kms, given the points above.

Maybe just cut Burgos to Ponferrada? :confused:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks a lot for your help Robo;:) and Nick for the Buen Camino :)!

Well since posting on Sunday things have suddenly changed for the good!

On the phone with my daughter yesterday afternoon (she was actually walking up mount Vesuvius at the time; she has done more at the age of 25 than I've managed in a lifetime)

She said she could have my G/dog for as long as I need .

She is moving to a place with a garden on the 25th so a week from now (she tells me nothing but then again; next May is a long way off and I hadn't raised the time issue)

Whereas at the moment she travels up to my home to care for him; she works remotely but has to go in the office one day a week about 140 mile round trip her new place is 10 mins from her work.

So have cancelled flight home (only £44) and will now walk till i finish fingers crossed!
So i am now a happy bunny!

All the best to you guys.
Woody

So have cancelled flight home (only £44) and will now walk till i finish fingers crossed!
So i am now a happy bunny!
Great news! Being able to walk the ‘whole thing’ will make a big difference to your experience. Plus we’ll have a podcast season out about the Francés by then ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back