• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Francés variant after Sarria

Nick Pollock

Time of past OR future Camino
Probably this has been mentioned in a million places elsewhere and is old news but...
...the following is both a cautionary tale and a possible bonus for some...
ALTERNATIVE WELL MARKED ROUTE OUT OF SARRIA
Earlier today having walked early from Samos to Sarria, stopped in Sarria for a well deserved break. Then continued up into Sarria old town, down the other side intending to push on towards Portomarin on the usual (by now much busier as normal) Camino Frances CF route.
Walked across the stone bridge over the river towards the railway track and then turning left with the railway track on the right...
At this point came to two CF/Galician type milestones next to each other (similar to the two side by side leaving Triacastela) with two opposing arrows shown.
One arrow points straight on, along the path (the proper CF route leading to an underpass beneath the railway and the steep climb then through the woods towards Vilei.)
I chose to ignore a handwritten 'mal' on the other milestone - for good or bad...

This second milestone pointed right over a precarious foot crossing of the rail tracks (at a point with not much vision either way of passing trains owing to slight curves ..)

Ignoring the little voice in my head now getting louder, I crossed the track and was led onto a small path which steeply climbed up the wood - as I thought to rejoin the other route. Only it didn't, as I quickly realised, but chose to carry on..

It came up to a road LU633 at the top, and further CF milestones indicated a route partly on back roads/tracks and in parts directly alongside the LU633. All main road sections were on enclosed footpaths away from the carriageway including one section on wooden decking similar to that on the initial Triacastela Samos main road section. The decking and milestones all appeared very recent construction. Milestones were constant and easily visible. There was never any doubt as to the route. The route heads directly Westwards from Sarria unlike the CF proper which heads SW to Vilei at which point both routes are about 1km apart.

No idea eventually where the route rejoins the main CF (but possibly/likely to be at A Pena...I chose to head off South/Left from the LU 633 and headed on two lovely country tracks for 750m to rejoin CF at 107.5 milestone just beyond Mercado da Serra.

Whilst I hadn't intended to go this way, it was an interesting alternative route which had a quiet character of its own, rather different from the main busy route.

Judging by a memorial marker from 1989 to a pilgrim from Strasbourg at one point, I assume this was once many years ago the original route of the CF which is now being revamped as an alternative variant?

This tale is of course a warming too, not to assume the milestones always lead you the right way to your nearby destination.. (although they will to Santiago!). Also a lesson to take heed of advice handwritten on the milestones..

And yet that yearning for the path less taken niggles at the soul!

But one final warning again, be careful for trains at that railway track foot crossing.
It is an authorised crossing but needs care.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Probably this has been mentioned in a million places elsewhere and is old news but...
...the following is both a cautionary tale and a possible bonus for some...
ALTERNATIVE WELL MARKED ROUTE OUT OF SARRIA
Earlier today having walked early from Samos to Sarria, stopped in Sarria for a well deserved break. Then continued up into Sarria old town, down the other side intending to push on towards Portomarin on the usual (by now much busier as normal) Camino Frances CF route.
Walked across the stone bridge over the river towards the railway track and then turning left with the railway track on the right...
At this point came to two CF/Galician type milestones next to each other (similar to the two side by side leaving Triacastela) with two opposing arrows shown.
One arrow points straight on, along the path (the proper CF route leading to an underpass beneath the railway and the steep climb then through the woods towards Vilei.)
I chose to ignore a handwritten 'mal' on the other milestone - for good or bad...

This second milestone pointed right over a precarious foot crossing of the rail tracks (at a point with not much vision either way of passing trains owing to slight curves ..)

Ignoring the little voice in my head now getting louder, I crossed the track and was led onto a small path which steeply climbed up the wood - as I thought to rejoin the other route. Only it didn't, as I quickly realised, but chose to carry on..

It came up to a road LU633 at the top, and further CF milestones indicated a route partly on back roads/tracks and in parts directly alongside the LU633. All main road sections were on enclosed footpaths away from the carriageway including one section on wooden decking similar to that on the initial Triacastela Samos main road section. The decking and milestones all appeared very recent construction. Milestones were constant and easily visible. There was never any doubt as to the route. The route heads directly Westwards from Sarria unlike the CF proper which heads SW to Vilei at which point both routes are about 1km apart.

No idea eventually where the route rejoins the main CF (but possibly/likely to be at A Pena...I chose to head off South/Left from the LU 633 and headed on two lovely country tracks for 750m to rejoin CF at 107.5 milestone just beyond Mercado da Serra.

Whilst I hadn't intended to go this way, it was an interesting alternative route which had a quiet character of its own, rather different from the main busy route.

Judging by a memorial marker from 1989 to a pilgrim from Strasbourg at one point, I assume this was once many years ago the original route of the CF which is now being revamped as an alternative variant?

This tale is of course a warming too, not to assume the milestones always lead you the right way to your nearby destination.. (although they will to Santiago!). Also a lesson to take heed of advice handwritten on the milestones..

And yet that yearning for the path less taken niggles at the soul!

But one final warning again, be careful for trains at that railway track foot crossing.
It is an authorised crossing but needs care.
Your route is the red line.
Screenshot_20220816-155506.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Where is this map from? I would love to see it
The original route can be found here: https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

David Tallan uploaded this derivative file into the resources section of the Forum see, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/google-map-of-iberian-caminos-cnig-version.786/

And there are heaps of other maps available within the resources section of the Forum, see https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...an-pied-de-port-to-santiago-de-compostela.34/

And this useful route file for those Pilgrims changing from the Coastal to Interior Portuguese, by @trecile https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-link-between-coastal-and-central-routes.756/

There are also lots and lots of other useful stuff in the resources section.

Of course, some people may not be aware of how to use or load these routes into their preferred mapping tool and so there is even a guide to doing this in the resources section. I haven't looked at it yet though and so I don't know how up to date it is.

Let me know if you want help loading your preferred map.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.