• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Francês Winter 2016 news?

danielle perugini

Time of past OR future Camino
December 3rd thru 15th 2016
Hello there!

I'm walking the Camino Francês from December 3rd thru 17th probably starting in Leon. Anybody there is aware of any "Winter" news like closed roads, albergues or tips for me? I heard somewhere about snow and roads closed. Many thanks in advance! Buon Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello there!

I'm walking the Camino Francês from December 3rd thru 17th probably starting in Leon. Anybody there is aware of any "Winter" news like closed roads, albergues or tips for me? I heard somewhere about snow and roads closed. Many thanks in advance! Buon Camino!

Danielle,

Welcome to the Forum!

Within a month you will be on your way; how excited you must be counting the days.

Do scan this recent Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked at this time to help you prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Another useful thread for you is this re starting in Leon
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/starting-our-camino-in-leon.41643/

Wherever you do begin it is most important to be prepared for storms and not take chances; walking in snow takes practice.

Happy research, stay safe and Buen camino!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Camino Frances around the time you plan to set off in '13/'14. Though this is several years ago now and things change rapidly on the Camino you might also like to check out my blog. http://mywintercamino.blogspot.com.au/
To avoid potential injuries, and exacerbating an existing one, I caught the workers bus down from O Cebreiro on this trip. The snow was very heavy (for someone not used to it!), and though pilgrims walked out that day, the following days I suspect they would have been stuck for quite a few days as the weather got worse. I went with the expectation there was every chance that I would either have to catch bus / taxi etc or get stuck for a few days if the weather turned out bad. Fortunately I walked to a reasonable schedule for the whole camino.

You don't say where you are from, and so forgive me if you are from this part of the world and therefore know all this. Three Kings Day (January 6th) is a big day in Spain, apparently even in the small villages. It is a holiday from memory so you might want to take that in to account too.

Just to add to all the above good advice, you can always get advice from the locals about the upcoming weather in their part of the world - just find a bar.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.