• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

France to Italy

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2018
Hello fellow pilgrims-
I am thinking of taking a few months to hike from Portugal to Italy (Lucca) I can follow the route from Lisbon to Santiago, then Santiago to SJPDP but then the way though France from there seems fragmented. As far as I can tell, all southern French routes end at Arles.
Does anyone know or have experience walking through France to Italy?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jennifer Partika,

What a great idea you have for a long distance walk. To find some Forum posts/threads that might be helpful type France Italy into the space of the blue search box above. Several possibilities should pop up. For example there is a route via France to Venice.

Good luck with your research. Do let us know which route you choose.
Whenever you go , wherever you walk, Buen camino

Hello fellow pilgrims-
I am thinking of taking a few months to hike from Portugal to Italy (Lucca) I can follow the route from Lisbon to Santiago, then Santiago to SJPDP but then the way though France from there seems fragmented. As far as I can tell, all southern French routes end at Arles.
Hello @Jennifer Partika
...after reaching Arles I followed a trail via Sisteron, Gap then Montgenèvre over Les Hautes Alps du France to Cesana Torinese. I followed the GR 653D. Here is a resource I put together (login to download) : GR 653D Via Domitia: Arles to Montgenèvre

From Cesano Torinese I continued along the Via Francigena to Lucca then beyond. Here's another resource with accommodation and stages taken: Italy: Shelter

There are other routes one can take from Arles which pass along the coast.

Happy planning,
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello @Jennifer Partika
...after reaching Arles I followed a trail via Sisteron, Gap then Montgenèvre over Les Hautes Alps du France to Cesana Torinese. I followed the GR 653D. Here is a resource I put together (login to download) : GR 653D Via Domitia: Arles to Montgenèvre

From Cesano Torinese I continued along the Via Francigena to Lucca and beyond. Here's another resource with accommodation and stages taakern: Italy: Shelter

There are other routes one can take from Arles which pass along the coast.

Happy planning,
Lovingkindness
Lovingkindness,
Your Arles to Montgenèvre resource is great! Reading all those mountain place names is exhilerating and brings back happy memories. ...

Lovingkindness,
Your Arles to Montgenèvre resource is great! Reading all those mountain place names is exhilerating and brings back happy memories. ...
Hi there @mspath! It was an exhilerating experience, Yes. Each day I walked as far as able, made music in the streets, then set about finding a place to sleep. It was quite a social experience and a big learning curve - I wasn't used to busking or asking others for help day after day. (I set off from Le Lot-et-Garonne aiming for Jerusalem. I had nothing in my pocket so earnt my way. The journey lasted 18 months. After Jersualem I made my way back from Italy to Amsterdam.)

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Hello fellow pilgrims-
This site may be of some help:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never walked it but Lucca is a wonderful city. Just beautiful and there was a great Blues Festival when I was there. If the walk takes you by Parma make sure you stop for lunch or dinner there too! :)

Hello fellow pilgrims-
Hi, Jennifer. I walked the Via Francigena from Aosta, near the French-Italian border, down to Rome in 2019. You will find Italy beautiful, but not as accommodating as Spain for Pilgrims. The ostellos are fewer and farther in between. It will depend on what time of year you start your journey. During Winter most of the ostellos are closed and if they are open, they will be more expensive than Spanish albergues. They averaged about 20 euros per night, without any food. Don't depend on Franciscans taking you in, either. I had bad experiences with them. You will also find yourself walking alone for most of the time. I spent 6 weeks walking with about 7 days of that walking with another pilgrim. The path is not as well marked as The Camino de Santiago so get the Via Francigena app on your phone. It will guide you down through Italy, keeping you on the right trail. I did not walk France, but some friends of mine did and said it was worse than Italy as far as being PIlgrim friendly, but that is second hand info! Bene Camino! Hope that helps!!!

Last edited:
The book Where the Roads Lead by Demar Southard is a day by day account of his walk from Spain to Rome; you may find it helpful. It's available from Amazon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
France and Italy are not less friendly towards pilgrims in my experience, they just dont get as many so its a different experience - you need to expect less of the supporting infrastructure that you get along the CF for example and be more independent, resourceful, and plan ahead to make sure you can get food at an overnight stop, or take some with you - esp in france where many small villages hhave no bars or shops.

Hello fellow pilgrims-
They most certainly don't.

French-pilgrimage-pilgrim-map.jpg

The way on from Arles is the Provençal Way, and for Lucca, the better option would be the coastal variant -- also known as the Via Aurelia and the Coastal Francigena, it's one of the routes of the Via Romea.

Some of the information on lodging on this route has become a little bit secret on the French side, after a series of abuses of hospitality etc some years ago, but some information can be found here, including downloadable maps and public versions of the guides : http://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/guides-chemins-paca-gr-653a-gr-653d-leurs-variantes

Look at the info about the GR 653A.

The worst part of this whole path is getting past the Antibes to Nice section. Either a lengthy detour 'round Nice, or a trudge through urban landscapes (albeit with all the mod cons).

Information on the more mountainous variant (Via Domitia, GR635D) is at the same website.

On the Italian side, you'd need to look up information on the Via della Costa, though unfortunately it seems to be a little bit sparse online.

Last edited:
You could take the euro route E7 from Aix en Provence into italy and then join the Francegena to Rome. It's a recognised walking route with only shortish distances to join up between Arle and Aix. It will take you from Portugal to Slovenia if you wish.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello fellow pilgrims-
Research information on the Via Francigena which goes from England to Rome. There is a lot of information on connecting to it from le puy and Arles.

The Mont Blanc chair lift would be the most scenic way to pass from France into Italy. I don't know if it is near any Camino.

-Paul

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Mont Blanc chair lift would be the most scenic way to pass from France into Italy. I don't know if it is near any Camino.
The Via Alpina passes nearby, following which you could get to any relatively close Camino path.

Note that scenic = Expensive!

The cable car over Mont Blanc from Chamonix, France to Courmayeur, Italy will cost at least 100 Euros. I can't think of a more spectacular boarder crossing so it is worth doing once in a lifetime.

Currently it is closed due to COVID.

-Paul

Note that scenic = Expensive!

The cable car over Mont Blanc from Chamonix, France to Courmayeur, Italy will cost at least 100 Euros. I can't think of a more spectacular boarder crossing so it is worth doing once in a lifetime.

Currently it is closed due to COVID.

-Paul
Re: chair lifts and cable cars. Spectacular, yes. But will you still be able to say that you walked the whole way, carrying your backpack every inch? We need to keep our priorities in mind.

€83,-
If you prefer to walk, then you can walk part of the TMB from Chamonix to Courmayeur.

-Paul

I am thinking of taking a few months to hike from Portugal to Italy (Lucca) I can follow the route from Lisbon to Santiago, then Santiago to SJPDP but then the way though France from there seems fragmented
That is an ambitious project! I can’t help you with information. I could talk, from personal experience, about my walking tour around the Mont Blanc and even my walking across the glacier, with an Alpine guide, from the Aguille du Midi cable car station in France to the Helbronner cable station in Italy, a fantastic 5 km walk on snow and ice, instead of travelling high above the glacier in a fancy cable car cabin like the tourists do, but none of this would be useful for you because the Mont Blanc area is over 200 km / 130 miles to the north of your likely route through the South of France. :cool:

So my only advice is that you could edit the thread title from France to Italy to something more focused like Arles (France) to Lucca (Italy)? or similar to get further useful information for your future walk. Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Some of the links provided above lead to older threads that refer to Peter Robin’s excellent and comprehensive interactive database of pilgrimage ways in Europe. Unfortunately, the database has been moved to a different website and it is no longer maintained. You may still find it useful for general planning and overviews. The new address is https://pilgrimdb.github.io/maps.html?routes=

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello fellow pilgrims-

How about walking from StJPP to Le Puy-en-Velay on the GR65 Via Podiensis [in reverse] then on to Geneva via the GR65 extension [also known as the Via Genennensis] and from there to the Via Francigena ...

there’s a lot more pilgrim-hiker infrastructure on the Voie du Puy [accommodation et al] and a particular system of pilgrim accommodation [in private homes] on the Gebennensis known as «accueil jacquaire» ...

there’s also an alternative route via Lyon to Geneva ... France is not so disjointed as it may at first appear ...

Last edited:
Altitude when crossing from France to Italy:
  • Menton/Ventimiglia: 50 m
  • Montgenèvre pass: 1800 m
  • St Bernard pass (after having crossed from FR to CH at lower altitude): 2500 m
  • Aiguille du Midi ("Mont Blanc"): 3800 m

Last edited:

€83,-
That is an ambitious project! I can’t help you with information. I could talk, from personal experience, about my walking tour around the Mont Blanc and even my walking across the glacier, with an Alpine guide, from the Aguille du Midi cable car station in France to the Helbronner cable station in Italy, a fantastic 5 km walk on snow and ice, instead of travelling high above the glacier in a fancy cable car cabin like the tourists do, but none of this would be useful for you because the Mont Blanc area is over 200 km / 130 miles to the north of your likely route through the South of France. :cool:

So my only advice is that you could edit the thread title from France to Italy to something more focused like Arles (France) to Lucca (Italy)? or similar to get further useful information for your future walk. Bon chemin!
Why Lucca? why not down to Rome? St. Francis made the journey down to Rome

Why Lucca? why not down to Rome? St. Francis made the journey down to Rome
Why Lucca? Why Portugal? Why Lisbon? Why Santiago? Why walk for a few months?

I haven't the slightest idea, and I can live with not knowing.

Maybe @Jennifer Partika intends to end in Lucca. Maybe she intends to end in Rome. Or maybe in Bari. Maybe she doesn't ask about how to get from Lucca to Rome because there's enough information available for that section, and it is the section Arles-Lucca that is the focus for her right now.

:cool:

Last edited:
Be aware that some of the routes through the Alps are also used by illegal immigrants moving from Italy into northern Europe. I would not want to get caught up in that mess.

-Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.