• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances Albergues with communal meals

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
One of the great aspects of the Camino, imo, are communal meals. My favorite on the Frances is Granon. I enjoy these types of settings. My plan this year is to stop at as many of these Albergues as possible.

Please share your favorite Albergue on the Camino Frances that offers a communal meal.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Somewhere on this site there is a list of albergues with communal meals that you can download. Hopefully someone has the link to it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Somewhere on this site there is a list of albergues with communal meals that you can download. Hopefully someone has the link to it.

Trecile:

Thanks. That list was last updated in 2015. I was looking for any potential additional places and favorites.

Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe I'm mistaken, but in my experience, communal meals happen in shared kitchens, where pilgrims plan and cook and eat a meal all together, sometimes with and often without any oversight from hospitaleros. They're pretty sporadic and impulsive. They don't fit on schedules.
With so many albergues now shutting down or stripping-out their open kitchens, the Communal Meal, at least as I know it, is becoming very rare. It looks like maybe the terminology is evolving to mean something different.
It will be helpful if listings make clear if the meals are daily offerings planned in advance and laid-on by the hospitaleros (maybe with pilgrim help?) ... which would make it more of a dinner service rather than a "communal meal."
Don't mean to be pedantic. But as a hospitalera myself, there's a real difference in the amount of pilgrim participation.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in my experience, communal meals happen in shared kitchens, where pilgrims plan and cook and eat a meal all together, sometimes with and often without any oversight from hospitaleros. They're pretty sporadic and impulsive. They don't fit on schedules.
With so many albergues now shutting down or stripping-out their open kitchens, the Communal Meal, at least as I know it, is becoming very rare. It looks like maybe the terminology is evolving to mean something different.
It will be helpful if listings make clear if the meals are daily offerings planned in advance and laid-on by the hospitaleros (maybe with pilgrim help?) ... which would make it more of a dinner service rather than a "communal meal."
Don't mean to be pedantic. But as a hospitalera myself, there's a real difference in the amount of pilgrim participation.
I understand what you are getting at, but I consider a meal "communal" when most of the pilgrims at the albergue eat together, regardless of who prepared the meal.
I enjoyed the communal meal at Albergue Verde in Hospital de Obrigo very much, one of the best meals I had on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Rebekah:

I agree with what you are saying. I was speaking of the type of meal provided at an Albergue as part of your stay. That is why I used the example of Granon. There the Peregrino's help with the set up and the clean up but the meal is provided by the Albergue.

Communal meals put together by one and there Camino family is also an enjoyable meal.

I recall several like Granon on the Norte but not so many on the Frances. I am sure they exist and I was looking for places where folks have shared a similar experience like Granon where the whole Albergue celebrate together.

Joe

I quite like the shared moments when a communal meal is prepared and shared with fellow pilgrims. In terms of communal meals that are part of the routine of the albergue, San Bol, Granon, and Fronfria all come to mind. I think the very best that I had were at San Anton last year, but maybe that was down to the hospitalero!!

The donativo albergue in Viana next to Santa Maria church served an excellent communal meal.... if you stop there be prepared to sleep on thin yoga mats at the top of the tower! I loved my stay there and would definitely recommend it!

€60,-
Thanks Rebekah - maybe advice about which ones still have kitchens, with whatever basic facilities are included. Cheers

Thanks Rebekah - maybe advice about which ones still have kitchens, with whatever basic facilities are included. Cheers
Alburgue listings on the Gronze website indicate whether there is a kitchen. Keeping up to date with whether or not the kitchen has suitable cooking utensils etc seem rather more problematic. I am not sure how anyone could keep that up-to-date.

My CF favorites:
SJPDP: Beilari (vegetarian)
Orrison
Viana parish rufugio (vegetarian) Cooked with hospitalieros
Azofra municipal (good kitchen-cooked with other pilgrims)
Hontanas: Juan de Yepes (paella cooked by staff, but wonderful shared meal with pilgrims from 5 countries)
Poblacion de Campos: La Finca (best lentil soup, shared meal with people from 6 different countries)
Carrion de los Condes: Santa Maria del Camino (lovely shared meal, prepared together with the sisters)
Mansilla de las Mulas: La Parada (had nice kitchen and we cooked with other pilgrims)
I am sure there are many others. These were our favorites because they were mostly wonderful conversations with some home cooking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Over six 3 week long Caminos I have never onced neen in an albergue where walkers lend a hand in the kitchem to prepare a meal, they were always fully prepared by the hospies, walkers just ate there together, at the same table. And this is not because I avoided places where one actually participates in prep and clean up, it just happened that way.

What I did see/partake in are meals spontaneously prepared by fellow walkers and those 100% prepared by the albergue for a fee of about 10€.

Over six 3 week long Caminos I have never onced neen in an albergue where walkers lend a hand in the kitchem to prepare a meal, they were always fully prepared by the hospies, walkers just ate there together, at the same table. And this is not because I avoided places where one actually participates in prep and clean up, it just happened that way.

What I did see/partake in are meals spontaneously prepared by fellow walkers and those 100% prepared by the albergue for a fee of about 10€.

Anemone:

There are some donativo places like Granon where they serve a communal meal. There is no charge only your donation when you leave the next day. That money is used to support the next days meal and so on.

This is the only place I have stayed on the Frances, like this, but I believe there are more . What I wanted to discover was the other Albergues like Granon.

I have found several like this on the Norte.

Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anemone:

There are some donativo places like Granon where they serve a communal meal. There is no charge only your donation when you leave the next day. That money is used to support the next days meal and so on. What I wanted to discover was the other Albergues like Granon.
Joe
Oh I know this, I just have not happened to stay in one, nor on the Frances nor the Norte, which to me shows that they are fairly rare and far between, especially vs all clients of a private albergue paying for a meal prepared by the staff/owners, or a meal walkers just whip together spontaneously.

If you are looking for Granon type of meal prep/sharing experience you were right to specify it.

BTW, where did you share such meals on the Norte?

Anemone:

There are some donativo places like Granon where they serve a communal meal. There is no charge only your donation when you leave the next day. That money is used to support the next days meal and so on.

This is the only place I have stayed on the Frances, like this, but I believe there are more . What I wanted to discover was the other Albergues like Granon.

I have found several like this on the Norte.

Joe

Joe,
Viana is a donativo with a shared meal that you work with the hospitileros to prepare, serve, and clean up. Same with breakfast the next morning. It is quite small and the mats are not as thick as the ones at Granon.

Carrion de los Condes: Santa Maria del Camino is a prepared meal where everyone sort of pitches in, too. My husband cut bread for 50 people while I prepared a salad for 50. People brought food to add to the dinner which was mostly soup and salad and two lads bought ice cream bars for everyone after the meal. It was a lively crowded kitchen with many hands making the work go quickly. This was 5 euros for the bed and meal. No breakfast. This also the Albergue where the sisters conduct a sing-a-long.
Janet

Oh I know this, I just have not happened to stay in one, nor on the Frances nor the Norte, which to me shows that they are fairly rare and far between, especially vs all clients of a private albergue paying for a meal prepared by the staff/owners, or a meal walkers just whip together spontaneously.

If you are looking for Granon type of meal prep/sharing experience you were right to specify it.

BTW, where did you share such meals on the Norte?

Anemone:

The ones I recall off hand were Santa Cruz de Bezana, Guemes, Pendueles and Cuerres ( a private home).

Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Joe,
Viana is a donativo with a shared meal that you work with the hospitileros to prepare, serve, and clean up. Same with breakfast the next morning. It is quite small and the mats are not as thick as the ones at Granon.

Carrion de los Condes: Santa Maria del Camino is a prepared meal where everyone sort of pitches in, too. My husband cut bread for 50 people while I prepared a salad for 50. People brought food to add to the dinner which was mostly soup and salad and two lads bought ice cream bars for everyone after the meal. It was a lively crowded kitchen with many hands making the work go quickly. This was 5 euros for the bed and meal. No breakfast. This also the Albergue where the sisters conduct a sing-a-long.
Janet

Janet:

I have stayed at the Albergue in Carrion. I will work Viana into this years walk.

Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
True but it is a Communal meal provided as part of your stay along with breakfast and donativo.
But I thought you were only looking for Granon type albergues, hands on in the kitchen with the hospy as conductor? I'm confused.

But I thought you were only looking for Granon type albergues, hands on in the kitchen with the hospy as conductor? I'm confused.

I am looking for Granon type Albergues where the meal is provided as part of the stay, not a separate charge. Some of these meals are supported by Peregrino's helping out with preparation and cleanup. Others like Guemes are done solely by the providers. That said, in these stated Albergues, the entire community eats together versus going out to a restaurant, a small group/family preparing their own dinner, cooking for yourself or having the owner provide a meal at a cost.

Hope this brings some clarity.

Joe

Reading all the above posts I suggest to put albergues in different categories ;)

A - communal meals prepared by hospitaleros / donativo
B - communal meals prepared by hospitaleros / donativo / pilgrims help involved
C - communal meals prepared by hospitaleros / paid for at fixed price
D - communal meals prepared by hospitaleros / paid for at fixed price / pilgrims help involved
E - communal meals prepared by pilgrims
F - ... any other option???

Just a suggestion because I have an impression that you haven't got really far with answering the OP apart from 2 or 3 albergues :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Reading all the above posts I suggest to put albergues in different categories ;)

D - communal meals prepared by hospitaleros / paid for at fixed price / pilgrims help involved

Just a suggestion because I have an impression that you haven't got really far with answering the OP apart from 2 or 3 albergues :D
You forgot:

G: communal meal prepared by hospies/donativo/vegetarian
H: communal meal prepared by hospies/donativo/vegan
I: :D

And here I was just looking for a bed withing a manageable distance for me. :cool:

Sounds like waaayyy too much work! :eek:

I'd be interested to know about the albergues providing a meal....but, surely it doesn't really matter if they charge separately or not, you will ending up paying either way, yes? If they don't charge for the meal then I would have thought the accommodation will be correspondingly more expensive anyway or you'll be expected to donate to cover it.

I'd be interested in list where it detailed just TWO choices: Food at the albergue/o where you all eat in one sitting together regardless of who cooks/washes up, it's the eating together that's important for me. The other option is food where you have to go somewhere else to buy it and then cook it yourself, or you have to go somewhere else to buy it and eat it the distinguishing feature being having to go and buy the food.

Is that what is on the PDF? I downloaded it fine, it's on a link just under the first post.

BC! :)

I'd be interested to know about the albergues providing a meal....but, surely it doesn't really matter if they charge separately or not, you will ending up paying either way, yes? If they don't charge for the meal then I would have thought the accommodation will be correspondingly more expensive anyway or you'll be expected to donate to cover it.

I'd be interested in list where it detailed just TWO choices: Food at the albergue/o where you all eat in one sitting together regardless of who cooks/washes up, it's the eating together that's important for me. The other option is food where you have to go somewhere else to buy it and then cook it yourself, or you have to go somewhere else to buy it and eat it the distinguishing feature being having to go and buy the food.

Is that what is on the PDF? I downloaded it fine, it's on a link just under the first post.

BC! :)

BC:

The Gronze.com site lists the majority of accommodations along the Frances. If you click on an individual Albergue it will give you more information (ie: type of accommodation, meals provided, WiFi, laundry services etc.) and if there is a separate cost).

You might find this helpful.

Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
BC:

The Gronze.com site lists the majority of accommodations along the Frances. If you click on an individual Albergue it will give you more information (ie: type of accommodation, meals provided, WiFi, laundry services etc.) and if there is a separate cost).

You might find this helpful.

Joe
Joe, Gronze.com site got me this: Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tosantos does a nice one, and so does Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja. Bercianos del Real Camino, San Nicolas de Puente Fitero, San Anton de Castrojeriz, and "Casa Feliz" in Castrojeriz... Communal dinners are a lot more common in small places and remote locations, where there's no question of competition with local restaurants.

Tosantos does a nice one, and so does Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de Rioja. Bercianos del Real Camino, San Nicolas de Puente Fitero, San Anton de Castrojeriz, and "Casa Feliz" in Castrojeriz... Communal dinners are a lot more common in small places and remote locations, where there's no question of competition with local restaurants.

Thanks Rebekah

Joe,

Janet

Thank you Janet

San Bol would be my choice. The meal (on my visit a gargantuan paella) is cooked by the hospitalera rather than collectively by pilgrims, but the King Arthuresque round table under the dome of the dining room makes for a wonderful ambience.

Thank you SEB

My CF favorites:
SJPDP: Beilari (vegetarian)
Orrison
Viana parish rufugio (vegetarian) Cooked with hospitalieros
Azofra municipal (good kitchen-cooked with other pilgrims)
Hontanas: Juan de Yepes (paella cooked by staff, but wonderful shared meal with pilgrims from 5 countries)
Poblacion de Campos: La Finca (best lentil soup, shared meal with people from 6 different countries)
Carrion de los Condes: Santa Maria del Camino (lovely shared meal, prepared together with the sisters)
Mansilla de las Mulas: La Parada (had nice kitchen and we cooked with other pilgrims)
I am sure there are many others. These were our favorites because they were mostly wonderful conversations with some home cooking.

Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of the great aspects of the Camino, imo, are communal meals. My favorite on the Frances is Granon. I enjoy these types of settings. My plan this year is to stop at as many of these Albergues as possible.

Please share your favorite Albergue on the Camino Frances that offers a communal meal.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,
Zabaldika just after Roncesvalles was special. It is a donativo. Lovely spot.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the great aspects of the Camino, imo, are communal meals. My favorite on the Frances is Granon. I enjoy these types of settings.

YES! Granon is a truly special experience. One of the highlights of my last Camino.

San Bol would be my choice. The meal (on my visit a gargantuan paella) is cooked by the hospitalera rather than collectively by pilgrims, but the King Arthuresque round table under the dome of the dining room makes for a wonderful ambience.
Zabaldika is a great spot for a communal meal. Stay in the convent/albergue with Spanish hospitaleras and help cook dinner if you like.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.