• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances is going to walk the Frances

Frances73

Hi,

I'm Frances, 37 years old and living in the north of the Netherlands.
In daily life I take care of 4 children. The two oldest are my lovers', they are 14 and 10 years old. My own son is 8 years old and we have a foster child who is has turned in April.
It's a busy life, and besides that we live in a cohousing project where we share a lot of daily living with our neighbours. There's not much time to be alone; something that is often difficult because I do have a need for silence, meditation, introspective moments.

On the 10th of July I will get on a plane to Bilbao. From there I will take a train or bus to Burgos and from there I have almost 4 weeks to walk to Santiago.
I'm very happy to have found this forum. Actually I'm very much afraid and scared about almost everything that one can be scared about when planning a camino. It's my first one, too.
I decided to go on this camino for spiritual reasons, but more than anything I've made the decision to go for this camino to face my fears (which is a spiritual goal in itself). It helps a lot to read the stories of other people (and to see that other pilgrims are people too :) , and I'm not the only one who's nervous.

I'm curious if there are more people here who are going to walk from Burgos in the same period as I am. And of course I have a lot of practical questions; I'll go on reading and hope to meet you here and maybe there :D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola Frances

What a day the 10th of July is going to be! I get nervous before making a Camino and I suspect most people do. Even if the route is known to us every pilgrimage is an adventure into the unknown. But you will meet lots of people, make new friends, have time to walk alone and meditate - or just walk! And time to talk and listen as much as you want.

Buen Camino when it comes

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wishes

All my best wishes to you Frances ! Some people never dare to go , face their fears or look inside themselves . The fact that you re willing to try is the only courage you need and will take you a long way . Be sure of that .
I am a scandinavian soul . Mad in a beautiful way :) and I carry a backpack loaded with life. I will head to Spain around 1 of July and I will walk the northern route from San Sebastian to Santiago. Thats all I know and need to know for now. The rest will come to me. I m sure there will be tears , sun in my face , wind in my hair and sails again , unforgettable moments of smiles and a lot of beautiful people to run into throughout the way. A coming . Like all my journeys . Travelling is about coming home , on the maps within as much, as the ones of our world.
Be brave my friend and all my luck to you ! / Marina

Thank you Marina, what a wonderful reply... I like mad people from Scandinavia :)

Although I have been training and looking for light weight luggage - and a backpack to stuff it into the past few days, I try not to worry too much beforehand. I want to let go and be in the 'now' as much as possible during my pilgrimage, so I think it's not good to stress out already.

All my luck too you, too and thanks again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Frances, lots of great information in this forum. Just don't get overwhelmed by it all. Walk, Eat, Sleep & Repeat.

July is hot and since you live in a comparatively cold climate (as I do in Northern Alberta, Canada) managing the heat will likely be your biggest challenge.

I don't personally like temperatures much over 30C for walking, but in July it will be this hot or hotter for this time of year. Get started early each day to beat the heat, make sure you have a hat that gives good coverage and stay well hydrated.

That said, have a fantastic time, you will meet a lot of great people on your journey.

Buen Camino!

No "luggage" necessary @Frances73 - just a well fitting backpack, something light and with under 50 litres in dimension. One change of clothes. Wash your clothes daily and you hardly need anything. In July it will be hot so you are unlikely to need a sleeping bag. A cotton or silk liner to sleep in. A cake of soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste (sample tube). Sunscreen. A hairbrush or comb. Comfortable lightweight walking shoes. Two pairs of socks. Two sets of undies. A hat or sun umbrella. Done.

What great replies, but Miss Frances has long been back from her Camino for 6+ years. These tips are sure to help others, though!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

....I'm very happy to have found this forum. Actually I'm very much afraid and scared about almost everything that one can be scared about when planning a camino. It's my first one, too.
:D
What great replies, but Miss Frances has long been back from her Camino for 6+ years. These tips are sure to help others, though!

???? I'm puzzled @Camino Chris

Oh, of course! Just like @zrexer I did not read the date of the posts.

Beware these old threads!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back