• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances or change of plan?

Cristofero

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Francés, Por Aragón
Hi, my first post after following for some time.
I arrive in Santander on Wednesday and planned to bus to Burgos to pick up from where I ended earlier this year.
However, the reports of covid and crowds have added to my pre camino nerves and I’m wondering if I should try the Del Norte instead?
Am I over reacting?
I walk shorter days and the level of infrastructure on the Frances suits me , but…Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for all the advice and information on the forum, Cristofero

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrive in Santander on Wednesday and planned to bus to Burgos to pick up from where I ended earlier this year.
However, the reports of covid and crowds have added to my pre camino nerves and I’m wondering if I should try the Del Norte instead?
Am I over reacting?
I walk shorter days and the level of infrastructure on the Frances suits me , but…Any thoughts?

Yes you are over reacting. I sympathise as I have a simple trait! Stick to your plan assuming it’s really what you want to do! You can get a cold, flu, Covid, Pneumonia, twist a knee or ankle, etc on either!

Last edited by a moderator:
‘‘Tis the season to think Covid, tra la la trala etc”

You’ll have to make your own risk assessment based on your own vaccination status, vulnerabilities and your inclination to take sensible precautions: mask, hand gel and the ilk. And of course your ability to afford private rooms if you want to avoid communal sleeping.

I can’t offer advice. I won’t offer opinion other than that Covid is endemic. The odds of an encounter only vary by a little if we all stay home or all hike to Santiago’s bones.
Buen Camino- any Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am not sure you will find the Norte less free of illness. As the weather grows cooler, you will find fewer pilgrims on all Caminos and therefore possibly more beds. Do remember that Oct 12 is a National Holiday in Spain and there will likely be more crowds at some popular locations and perhaps fewer beds no matter which Camino you are walking

Yes you are over reacting. Stick to your plan assuming it’s really what you want to do
Yes you are over reacting. I sympathise as I have a simple trait! Stick to your plan assuming it’s really what you want to do! You can get a cold, flu, Covid, Pneumonia, twist a knee or ankle, etc on either!
Thank you, a good reply!

‘‘Tis the season to think Covid, tra la la trala etc”

You’ll have to make your own risk assessment based on your own vaccination status, vulnerabilities and your inclination to take sensible precautions: mask, hand gel and the ilk. And of course your ability to afford private rooms if you want to avoid communal sleeping.

I can’t offer advice. I won’t offer opinion other than that Covid is endemic. The odds of an encounter only vary by a little if we all stay home or all hike to Santiago’s bones.
Buen Camino- any Camino
Thank you for your balanced reply. I Needed a reality check!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not sure you will find the Norte less free of illness. As the weather grows cooler, you will find fewer pilgrims on all Caminos and therefore possibly more beds. Do remember that Oct 12 is a National Holiday in Spain and there will likely be more crowds at some popular locations and perhaps fewer beds no matter which Camino you are walking
Thank you for your reply, some how I’d got the idea that there was a wave of covid as well as a wave of people on the Frances.
I didn’t know about the 12th so thanks for that too.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Am I over reacting?

You know - I walked the Frances last summer (2021) as soon as the Camino repopened and it was wonderful because there were so few people on the Camino (before Sarria anyway). This past summer (2022) I had planned to go on the Frances again because my daughter was going to do her first Camino and I wanted her to do the Frances first. She changed her plans and postponed until later in summer. Since I was still going on the Camino - I asked myself the same questions. For me - I am glad I decided to switch to the Norte/Primitivo (switched at Oviedo) as we didn't have as many issues with sick people in the albergues as people were reporting on the Frances. But - I had walked the Frances before - so that too affected my decision to move to another route.

Are you over-reacting? Well - that is a personal judgement. If you are fully vaccinated then you can still get sick - but you shouldn't get VERY sick.

As for the rest - if it is a first Camino - I definitely recommend the Frances. The Frances has much better infrastructure and more towns with WAY more albergues to chose from. On the Norte - are all the albergues still open? Not sure when they close for the season so definitely check on that. Frances albergues are often year round. Not all. But more. Towns are closer together and check in times are often earlier on the Frances. And the "Camino Spirit" is strong on the Frances and on the Primitivo. I found it less so on the Norte. I ended up in way more private rooms on the Norte, which is not only more expensive - but also leaves you feeling a bit more isolated. And even though I did a lot of albergues too - I didn't form the same kind of friendships on the Norte as I did on both the Frances and Primitivo. And in town - it was harder to find pilgrims if you aren't in an albergue since you are walking through regular TOURISTY towns.

Anyhow - good luck in deciding! Norte is BEAUTIFUL - but for a first Camino - I think it isn't the best Camino.

Am I over reacting?

I’m in Astorga on day 21 in the CF. Not met anyone with Covid nor heard of any reports of Covid Peregrinos. Just my experience.
Enjoy 😊

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The odds of an encounter only vary by a little if we all stay home or all hike to Santiago’s bones.
I disagree here - a little anyway. At home you aren't sleeping in a dorm full of strangers. That does add a little more risk - especially if fellow pilgrims either don't know they are sick - or know they are sick and chose to stay in albergues. Of course - staying in private rooms is always an option. But another option is to at least pick albergues with less bunks per room. That said - COVID is indeed endemic and in general - other than sleeping arrangements - I do agree that the risks are about the same as they would be going about your normal daily routines in your home community. But the dorm rooms do present a greater risk due to prolonged time sleeping in somewhat close quarters that may or may not have good circulation/air flow. But for me - I am fully vaccinated and have now had 3 boosters - AND I have already done 2 Caminos since COVID began - so sleeping in dorm rooms doesn't bother me.

You know - I walked the Frances last summer (2021) as soon as the Camino repopened and it was wonderful because there were so few people on the Camino (before Sarria anyway). This past summer (2022) I had planned to go on the Frances again because my daughter was going to do her first Camino and I wanted her to do the Frances first. She changed her plans and postponed until later in summer. Since I was still going on the Camino - I asked myself the same questions. For me - I am glad I decided to switch to the Norte/Primitivo (switched at Oviedo) as we didn't have as many issues with sick people in the albergues as people were reporting on the Frances. But - I had walked the Frances before - so that too affected my decision to move to another route.

Are you over-reacting? Well - that is a personal judgement. If you are fully vaccinated then you can still get sick - but you shouldn't get VERY sick.

As for the rest - if it is a first Camino - I definitely recommend the Frances. The Frances has much better infrastructure and more towns with WAY more albergues to chose from. On the Norte - are all the albergues still open? Not sure when they close for the season so definitely check on that. Frances albergues are often year round. Not all. But more. Towns are closer together and check in times are often earlier on the Frances. And the "Camino Spirit" is strong on the Frances and on the Primitivo. I found it less so on the Norte. I ended up in way more private rooms on the Norte, which is not only more expensive - but also leaves you feeling a bit more isolated. And even though I did a lot of albergues too - I didn't form the same kind of friendships on the Norte as I did on both the Frances and Primitivo. And in town - it was harder to find pilgrims if you aren't in an albergue since you are walking through regular TOURISTY towns.

Anyhow - good luck in deciding! Norte is BEAUTIFUL - but for a first Camino - I think it isn't the best Camino.
Thank you for your kind reply. I will be taking a bus to Burgos tomorrow afternoon! I’d stopped in Burgos late June after walking almost all the way from Oloron(sp?) St. Marie. It was just too hot and I was too tired!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m currently on the Norte it is way busier than I had anticipated- but is a wholly different experience from CF. The infrastructure is very slim compared to CF. As for Covid if you are vaccinated I’d be less inclined to stress.
At my albergue tonight one pilgrim was sneezing so took a test and was fine.
Plus so far short days not an option as many albergues simple gone out of business. Walked 20 km today between facilities!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m currently on the Norte it is way busier than I had anticipated- but is a wholly different experience from CF. The infrastructure is very slim compared to CF. As for Covid if you are vaccinated I’d be less inclined to stress.
Plus so far short days not an option as many albergues simple gone out of business. Walked 20 km today between facilities!!
Thank you! I guess I
Thanks for the update on the Del Norte. I’m happy I stuck with my plan!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back