• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances or Portugues in April-May?

First camino?

• Frances

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Portugues

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

another_mous

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPDP April 17 2017
Hi

Probably an age old question.
Trying to decide between the Frances and the Portugues for April-May 2017.

First timer. Male. 34.
Please help me decide?
I don't want to do partial ways, so it's either the full Lisbon-Santiago or SJPDP-Santiago.
I am very far from being fit (overweight due to thyroid problems), but I do enjoy walking and 20-25K city walk is not particularly hard for me, I do it all the time when visiting new places (I do realize hiking the Frances is a whole other story, so I thought I would add a couple of weeks over the standard month to allow for that, even if that means unpaid leave. ) Maybe this walk will help me?
I don't particularly like the idea of crowds of the Frances but then again I really do not think I will enjoy the first week of walking from Lisbon, given that it is mostly highways, from what I understand, at first.
Distance is not an issue - if I can do 650, I can do 800.
I am not religious. This is probably a midlife crisis kind of thing:) Just want to do it because it's there. Maybe will do the other one in a few years, if I am still alive, but I do need some advice picking the first camino.

Pros and cons as I see it from what I know?
Frances:
Pros: infrastructure, tradition.
Cons: crowd, "race from bed to bed", difficulty getting to SJPDP, less scenic

Portugues:
Pros: easy starting point (I am flying all the way from New Zealand), less people, friendlier hostels, less commercialized
Cons: infrastructure, first 30% of the way is urban which isn't appealing at all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I prefer the Portuguese.
You could skip Lisbon to Azambuja 30 kms by taking the commuter train and start from there in a more rural area.
Or do a part from Lisbon to Alverca de Ribatejo so you walk out of Lisbon which is a nice walk to the Parque das Nações-the former World exhibition ground. And take from there the train to Azambuja.
The Portuguese caminho is quiet compared to the camino Francès except the last part for 100 kms from Tui.
But you can find quieter alternatives, from Tui. walking from Pontevedra westwards , the Variante Espiritual, a beautiful walk during 2 or 3 days depending your pace and stamina and a noattrip to Padrón. From there one long stage to Santiago or 2 more relaxed ones.
See the various subforums on the Portuguese forum for alternatives.
Bom caminho

Well, Mous, I think you've said it all yourself!
The Portuguese is beautiful and MUCH quieter. I didn't notice too much tarmac when I walked it - but maybe that was because it was my first [and hopefully again my last in 2018]. However, do not hesitate to take the occasional bus or train if you know of a stage you'd sooner skip over.
The French will have more company - if that's important to you. I have never walked the French route because of that! It was bad enough on the Finisterre camino last June :(!
The Portuguese falls naturally into two sections - Lisbon to Porto to Santiago.
So there you have it.
You want company? The French. If you prefer quieter walking, much by yourself, the Portuguese.
Whichever you finally decide on ..... blessings, and go with God. ["Vaya con Dios!"]

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi

Probably an age old question.
Trying to decide between the Frances and the Portugues for April-May 2017.

First timer. Male. 34.
Please help me decide?
I don't want to do partial ways, so it's either the full Lisbon-Santiago or SJPDP-Santiago.
I am very far from being fit (overweight due to thyroid problems), but I do enjoy walking and 20-25K city walk is not particularly hard for me, I do it all the time when visiting new places (I do realize hiking the Frances is a whole other story, so I thought I would add a couple of weeks over the standard month to allow for that, even if that means unpaid leave. ) Maybe this walk will help me?
I don't particularly like the idea of crowds of the Frances but then again I really do not think I will enjoy the first week of walking from Lisbon, given that it is mostly highways, from what I understand, at first.
Distance is not an issue - if I can do 650, I can do 800.
I am not religious. This is probably a midlife crisis kind of thing:) Just want to do it because it's there. Maybe will do the other one in a few years, if I am still alive, but I do need some advice picking the first camino.

Pros and cons as I see it from what I know?
Frances:
Pros: infrastructure, tradition.
Cons: crowd, "race from bed to bed", difficulty getting to SJPDP, less scenic

Portugues:
Pros: easy starting point (I am flying all the way from New Zealand), less people, friendlier hostels, less commercialized
Cons: infrastructure, first 30% of the way is urban which isn't appealing at all.

Hi

Since you are young and fairly fit (distance not an issue), why dont you do both or 3? You could do Camino Frances, then Portuguese and then even Finistera/Muxia as you are flying from NZ..... or you will be back again very soon after you complete one, as most of us do!!

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would not call myself fit:) It's quite the opposite, I can walk, yes, even far, but I am very overweight.
I almost made a decision to do the Frances, by the way. It does not seem as crowded as I initially thought.

I wonder if you are too hard on yourself...however, if you are a bit heavy, please make sure your shoes have good support/cushioning, and consider walking poles to help with the ups (and especially the downs), your knees will thank you. And make sure to take your medication with you. I think walking the camino helps fitness, but I don't know if it really changes weight (the two, as you know, are not necessarily tied together). If you are not currently doing much hill walking, you may want to look at the elevation profiles of each camino, and adjust a starting point if needed. SJPdP is not the official starting point of the Frances. It is one of the common starting points.
Buen Camino, which ever you choose

edit: those poles actually help anyone's knees with the ups (and especially the downs)...no matter what weight/

Last edited:
And get a check-up from your doctor first to make sure that your heart is up to the task. Buen Camino, SY

PS Good decision to walk the CF then as you have far more flexibility how much you want to walk every day ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back