• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances-Salvador-Primitivo

Celi Anatrella

Time of past OR future Camino
2018, 2019, 2021 and planning… God willing.
I'm new to this forum and still a bit lost, so I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I'm so excited!!! I got tickets to Paris late in May and my return, early July from Santiago. Now... I'm ready to plan my route! I have 36 days to walk after three nights in Paris and Lourdes. I'm considering starting in SJPdP to Leon, then take the Camino Salvador to Oviedo and the Primitivo to Santiago. Am I crazy? I don't want to walk more than 28 kms/day and it seems to be doable according to the little reading I've done...? Any words of wisdom and do you mind sharing your favorite albergues and routes. This will be my second Camino. First one was Leon to Santiago last summer. THANKS!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum, and well done on your camino of last year!
Your plan sounds great. I loved the Salvador, although it killed my knees, but it is a breathtaking walk. The photo on my avatar is from there. Wishing you a muy Buen Camino... Wisdom? Not so sure I have words to offer in that category, but depending on your style, walking poles are useful.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you walk the Salvador, you either have to walk about 15km a day between accommodation or over 30. Also, the best bit of that camino is the middle section and I see no point in rushing it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum, and well done on your camino of last year!
Your plan sounds great. I loved the Salvador, although it killed my knees, but it is a breathtaking walk. The photo on my avatar is from there. Wishing you a muy Buen Camino... Wisdom? Not so sure I have words to offer in that category, but depending on your style, walking poles are useful.
Thanks, Kirkie! I'm allowing 5 days for El Salvador. Does it sound good?

If you walk the Salvador, you either have to walk about 15km a day between accommodation or over 30. Also, the best bit of that camino is the middle section and I see no point in rushing it.
Thanks, Felice. 5 days is what I'm allowing for El Salvador. It seems (according to gronze and another one... caminodesantiago.consumer.es if I remember correctly) there are some options. Hoping to make the last day not a 30k so I can spend some time in Oviedo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to add -- Ender´s guide shows the two most obvious 5 day routes. Either one will have one day over 30.

Both have the same days 1 and 2 -- León to La Robla (27) and then to Poladura (24)

Two possible day 3
Either to Bendueños (30) or Pajares (15) (In most opinions the stretch from Buiza, which is before Poladura, to Pajares is the crown jewel in the Salvador, so slowing down here might be more your cup of tea. The kms from Poladura to the Puerto de Arbás are simply stunning.)

That gives you differences in days 4 and 5

Bendueños to Mieres (23) to Oviedo (19)

Pajares to Pola de Gordón (25) to Oviedo (34)

So if you want time in Oviedo, the alternative with a stop in Bendueños is preferable, though Poladura to Bendueños might be a killer for some. Do a little searching on the albergue in Bendueños, though, and you will see that it is well worth the effort!!!

I'm not @kirkie, but 5 days is very do-able. Have you seen Ender´s guide? It is all you need, and it gives lots of options with staging.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/enders-salvador-guide-in-english.40078/
Awesome document! Very informative and complete. Thank you very much for sharing it. I need one like this for the Primitivo! :). Do you have one? :). Any apps or websites you recommend that list the albergues in all the towns that have them (including the Frances)? I'd rather stay in the smaller towns and not where everybody stays if I can help it. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to add -- Ender´s guide shows the two most obvious 5 day routes. Either one will have one day over 30.

Both have the same days 1 and 2 -- León to La Robla (27) and then to Poladura (24)

Two possible day 3
Either to Bendueños (30) or Pajares (15) (In most opinions the stretch from Buiza, which is before Poladura, to Pajares is the crown jewel in the Salvador, so slowing down here might be more your cup of tea. The kms from Poladura to the Puerto de Arbás are simply stunning.)

That gives you differences in days 4 and 5

Bendueños to Mieres (23) to Oviedo (19)

Pajares to Pola de Gordón (25) to Oviedo (34)

So if you want time in Oviedo, the alternative with a stop in Bendueños is preferable, though Poladura to Bendueños might be a killer for some. Do a little searching on the albergue in Bendueños, though, and you will see that it is well worth the effort!!!

Thanks, Peregrina!2000. I see you have walked al least twice this route. Quite the experience! Great for you! Any albergues you prefer or you like more than others in these routes, please? I just copied all the info provided and put it in my research pile... BTW, will the Primitivo be doable in 13 days? I don't want to walk more than 28 kms. I allowed 19 days in the Frances so I can spend the first night in Orisson... I don't want to kill myself, but I'm eager! :)

I walked Logrono-Leon-Oviedo-SdC March/April 2017. Take a look at my photos by checking my profile.

HI Oravasaari! What profile are you talking about so I can see your photos, please? I'm a bit lost... new to this forum...🙈 So I cannot find any profile here...?

HI Oravasaari! What profile are you talking about so I can see your photos, please? I'm a bit lost... new to this forum...🙈 So I cannot find any profile here...?
Click on my user name, then media, the photos are in reverse order Leon-Oviedo-SdC.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Click on my user name, then media, the photos are in reverse order Leon-Oviedo-SdC.
WOW! Breathtaking. I def want to walk there! Worst case scenario... I can take a bus in the Messeta or the like... but allow 5 days for Salvador, 13 for Primiitivo and 19 for SJPdP to Leon. The 2 walking days we had that were over 28 kms in our first camino were killers and I want to avoid that... Do you think that's possible or should I allow more days at the end just in case? Also... I'm traveling solo... are there others that take these routes. I read somewhere that I should not walk alone in some entry of the Salvador... Thanks for your input. Very helpful! Thanks for the pictures. Love it!

WOW! Breathtaking. I def want to walk there! Worst case scenario... I can take a bus in the Messeta or the like... but allow 5 days for Salvador, 13 for Primiitivo and 19 for SJPdP to Leon. The 2 walking days we had that were over 28 kms in our first camino were killers and I want to avoid that... Do you think that's possible or should I allow more days at the end just in case? Also... I'm traveling solo... are there others that take these routes. I read somewhere that I should not walk alone in some entry of the Salvador... Thanks for your input. Very helpful! Thanks for the pictures. Love it!
Where did you read that about the Salvador? Although I was not alone, I doubt there would be a problem. Except if you are nervous about being alone.

I would always allow extra days "just in case". There are plenty of lovely places to visit in Spain if you have extra time.

I'm planning a similar walk this year, but will connect to the Norte after Oviedo because I didn't get to finish it last time.
I'm giving myself 20 days for SJPDP to León, because that's what I did on my first Camino, which included stopping in Orisson. Then 6 days on the Salvador (I can probably do it in 5, but planning an extra day just in case) 14 days from Oviedo to Santiago, and 4 more days for Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia, for a total of 44 walking days. I will also give myself a "cushion" of 3 - 4 more days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where did you read that about the Salvador? Although I was not alone, I doubt there would be a problem. Except if you are nervous about being alone.
Maybe Gronze or Caminodesantiago.consumer or the like. I've been researching a bit to see if I should go ahead and reserve at Lourdes, SJPdP and Orisson...

I would always allow extra days "just in case". There are plenty of lovely places to visit in Spain if you have extra time.

I'm planning a similar walk this year, but will connect to the Norte after Oviedo because I didn't get to finish it last time.
I'm giving myself 20 days for SJPDP to León, because that's what I did on my first Camino, which included stopping in Orisson. Then 6 days on the Salvador (I can probably do it in 5, but planning an extra day just in case) 14 days from Oviedo to Santiago, and 4 more days for Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia, for a total of 44 walking days. I will also give myself a "cushion" of 3 - 4 more days.
Thanks for your input, Trecile. I just don't have the days, though, this year. I would love to do the last two (Salvador and Primitivo) but I also want to start at SJPdP... I don't think I might ever have the chance to get this long of a break to walk and if I do, it will be with my daughter (she's 5 right now and I'll be older then)... I guess I could take a bus or the like... I'm stubborn, as you can tell! But considering your experiences too. Thanks again!

I don't think I might ever have the chance to get this long of a break to walk and if I do, it will be with my daughter (she's 5 right now and I'll be older then).
Your 5 or 6 year old daughter will be walking with you? 28 km a day?
Did she walk with you on your previous Camino?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your 5 or 6 year old daughter will be walking with you? 28 km a day?
Did she walk with you on your previous Camino?
No, no, this time I'm going solo. If I go again (hubby wants to go for about 12 days next year for the first time and my 5-year-old would like to go sometime too... so if I ever go again... no, no, let's rephrase it... when I go again in the future, it'll be probably with them...

I'm new to this forum and still a bit lost, so I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I'm so excited!!! I got tickets to Paris late in May and my return, early July from Santiago. Now... I'm ready to plan my route! I have 36 days to walk after three nights in Paris and Lourdes. I'm considering starting in SJPdP to Leon, then take the Camino Salvador to Oviedo and the Primitivo to Santiago. Am I crazy? I don't want to walk more than 28 kms/day and it seems to be doable according to the little reading I've done...? Any words of wisdom and do you mind sharing your favorite albergues and routes. This will be my second Camino. First one was Leon to Santiago last summer. THANKS!

Celi:

Sounds like a great plan to me.

The Salvador is a beautiful walk, sparsely traveled, and 5 days is plenty of time.

If you are worried about not having enough time, why don't you start in Pamplona?

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
No, no, this time I'm going solo. If I go again (hubby wants to go for about 12 days next year for the first time and my 5-year-old would like to go sometime too... so if I ever go again... no, no, let's rephrase it... when I go again in the future, it'll be probably with them...
Whew! I was worried.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Celi:

Sounds like a great plan to me.

The Salvador is a beautiful walk, sparsely traveled, and 5 days is plenty of time.

If you are worried about not having enough time, why don't you start in Pamplona?

Ultreya,
Joe
I sort of want to do the Pyrenees! I'm gonna go for it (plan, I mean, then decide when there!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back