• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances Sept/Oct 2017

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
I finished my first camino yesterday from SJPP. It was a truly special wonderful time I will treasure in my heart forever.
I got so much useful help and inspiration from this forum and in particular the regular posters, I thank you all.
The following is my personal experience, everyones camino is different and just as valid.
I found that the general consensus on this forum was very accurate and helpful.
I was very happy with all of my gear, pack weight etc. Do bring poles, ear plugs and a lightweight sleeping bag. Don't bring ultra expensive ultra light down gear I met a couple of people who had to throw away early on because of bed bugs. It is easy to buy anything here that you need, just beware of Spanish operating hours. Be aware that it is not bright till after 8 am at this time of year. Bring a head torch for the road. Don't use it in the albergue dorms.

I stayed at Orisson such a great idea to start the trip easy and I met so many great people here.
I started Sept 2nd, many starting from SJPP round then. Book SJPP orisson and Roncesvalles before you get there. At this time of year good to book a day ahead till maybe Pamplona unless you can stop for the day before 2 or stay away from the Stage stops.
I booked rarely after Pamplona and not at all for the last few weeks apart from the cities like León. I had zero problems finding a bed, I think I only got turned away from 2 full albergues all trip.

I carried my bag and walked every step. I was glad personally that I did not skip any of the 'boring' bits, some of my favourite days were on the meseta for instance. Carrying your bag gives you flexibility where to stop on the day. I caught all of the pilgrim mass and blessings I could this added to my journey.

I would suggest people give themselves a few days extra to get to their destination. You never know in advance when you need a short rest day. Some people with complete schedules regretted being locked into them.
Even if you think that you are not an albergue person maybe give them a try for a few days. I was very surprised how much they became part of my camino experience. The volunteer hospitaleros were wonderful.

The weather was amazing. A couple of slightly rainy days near the start and then a month of perfect cool dry sunny days. If this is typical weather I can see why September is so popular.

Sorry for a bit of a rambling post maybe because of the long lunch today. Hopefully of some help to someone.

If you are thinking of doing a camino just go ahead and organise it. Don't worry be happy!

My next posts will be trying to work out which shorter quieter camino to do in April 2018. This time was so special I may have become another Camino tragic.
Cheers Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I finished my first camino yesterday from SJPP. It was a truly special wonderful time I will treasure in my heart forever.
I got so much useful help and inspiration from this forum and in particular the regular posters, I thank you all.
The following is my personal experience, everyones camino is different and just as valid.
I was very happy with all of my gear, pack weight etc. Do bring poles, ear plugs and a lightweight sleeping bag. Don't bring ultra expensive ultra light down gear I met a couple of people who had to throw away early on because of bed bugs. It is easy to buy anything here that you need, just beware of Spanish operating hours. Be aware that it is not bright till after 8 am at this time of year. Bring a head torch for the road. Don't use it in the albergue dorms.

I stayed at Orisson such a great idea to start the trip easy and I met so many great people here.
I started Sept 2nd, many starting from SJPP round then. Book SJPP orisson and Roncesvalles before you get there. At this time of year good to book a day ahead till maybe Pamplona unless you can stop for the day before 2 or stay away from the Stage stops.
I booked rarely after Pamplona and not at all for the last few weeks apart from the cities like León. I had zero problems finding a bed, I think I only got turned away from 2 full albergues all trip.

I carried my bag and walked every step. I was glad personally that I did not skip any of the 'boring' bits, some of my favourite days were on the meseta for instance. Carrying your bag gives you flexibility where to stop on the day. I caught all of the pilgrim mass and blessings I could this added to my journey.

I would suggest people give themselves a few days extra to get to their destination. You never know in advance when you need a short rest day. Some people with complete schedules regretted being locked into them.
Even if you think that you are not an albergue person maybe give them a try for a few days. I was very surprised how much they became part of my camino experience. The volunteer hospitaleros were wonderful.

The weather was amazing. A couple of slightly rainy days near the start and then a month of perfect cool dry sunny days. If this is typical weather I can see why September is so popular.

Sorry for a bit of a rambling post maybe because of the long lunch today. Hopefully of some help to someone.

If you are thinking of doing a camino just go ahead and organise it. Don't worry be happy!

My next posts will be trying to work out which shorter quieter camino to do in April 2018. This time was so special I may have become another Camino tragic.
Cheers Paul
Hi Paul
Are you at the noon mass?
Beth Cappon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Cheers Paul
Thank you for your post. I finished on 29th September and everything you say I could echo. I can't wait till next April - and off I'll go again!
Is there a Camino Bug? If there is, I've caught it!!
Jo

Congratulations! I am just past Leon now and from my experience gained a huge amount of respect for anyone that does the Camino and especially finishes it. Hats off to ya!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are right behind you in Portomarin and agree with everything you said. It’s been a spectacularly beautiful Camino! I’d just like to add a few items to your list of ‘must haves’: diaper pins - they have saved our laundry a 1000 times; next Camino we will only bring clothing that is the color of dirt; sleeves which quickly charge short sleeved shirts into warmer, long sleeved (I wasn’t familiar with these but found them in a store along the Way); a Buff, 2 pair of walking shoes. We are loving every minute of Galicia and are sad to be almost to Santiago. Already talking about the a Portugués Camino next September

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.