• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Frances through Mazarife

Time of past OR future Camino
End of Frances and Frances from Pamplona Sept 22
Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help me. I will leave Leon tomorrow to walk the alternative route through Villar de Mazarife. I’m using the fantastic camino ninja app but it doesn’t seem to offer the route variants. Any ideas as to how I can find the map for this section? I have walking notes but I don’t find them helpful at all. Thanks a lot

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mary Mc,
Perhaps this post will help you find the scenic alternate.

This Spanish description from Gronze
is also helpful. You can automatically translate it using Chrome. A schematic map is included. If you need a place to stay/eat in Villar de Mazarife Tio Pepi opposite the church is good popular spot.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help me. I will leave Leon tomorrow to walk the alternative route through Villar de Mazarife. I’m using the fantastic camino ninja app but it doesn’t seem to offer the route variants. Any ideas as to how I can find the map for this section? I have walking notes but I don’t find them helpful at all. Thanks a lot
David Tallan used files from the Dutch Confraternity to create a Google Maps map that shows this path. There is a post in the Resources section of the Forum or the direct link to David's map is https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1kY-ZPBKbZuHddt5e9JBCqHmAwG93kFVP&ll=42.57198403822042,-5.63312042518088&z=12

The link to the resource is https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/google-map-of-iberian-caminos-cnig-version.786/

There a number of other resources in the Resources section of the Forum that give gpx, kml, kmz map files of various Caminos.

The original Dutch Confraternity maps can be found here, https://www.santiago.nl/smartphone-on-the-camino/ however my experience in using the Dutch maps is that there are errors in some places. In general this isn't a big issue because the errors are a very small part of the overall very useful data. It can be annoying though if you happen to strike one of the errors. I have tried to provide feedback to them in the past with no acknowledgement from them and so I don't know if they do fix errors over time.

Last edited:
FWiW Wise Pilgrim also offers that variant, and all of the other variants as well.

It can be annoying though if you happen to strike one of the errors. I have tried to provide feedback to them in the past with no acknowledgement from them and so I don't know if they do fix errors over time.
In some parts they can be dangerous, enough so that I no longer recommend them or anything based off of them. I happen to live near a stretch of the Camino where many pilgrims wander on the road, and although I cannot know whether they are using a guide based on these tracks I can say that these tracks direct people along the road. Great for the big picture, less so for the details.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mary Mc,
Perhaps this post will help you find the scenic alternate.

This Spanish description from Gronze
is also helpful. You can automatically translate it using Chrome. A schematic map is included. If you need a place to stay/eat in Villar de Mazarife Tio Pepi opposite the church is good popular spot.
Thanks very much @mspath
The Buen Camino app covers this in detail. It’s a lovely walk but the first 10k the following day is quite monotonous and no cafe/bar for a break. Bring snacks!
thank you @Corelacka, and thanks for the tip!
David Tallan used files from the Dutch Confraternity to create a Google Maps map that shows this path. There is a post in the Resources section of the Forum or the direct link to David's map is https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1kY-ZPBKbZuHddt5e9JBCqHmAwG93kFVP&ll=42.57198403822042,-5.63312042518088&z=12

The link to the resource is https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/google-map-of-iberian-caminos-cnig-version.786/

There a number of other resources in the Resources section of the Forum that give gpx, kml, kmz map files of various Caminos.

The original Dutch Confraternity maps can be found here, https://www.santiago.nl/smartphone-on-the-camino/ however my experience in using the Dutch maps is that there are errors in some places. In general this isn't a big issue because the errors are a very small part of the overall very useful data. It can be annoying though if you happen to strike one of the errors. I have tried to provide feedback to them in the past with no acknowledgement from them and so I don't know if they do fix errors over time.

At the end of La Virgen del Camino, there is a very modern looking church (Basilica de la Virgen del Camino). Now you have to change to the left side of the road. At Plaza Santo Domingo you follow Calle la Paz. You will see very good marked signs and a board with the caminotrack and the alternative to Mazarife.
https://www.google.de/maps/@42.5792...4!1scio7SPCbbBxBsq776Ozn6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
You follow Calle la Paz up to Fuente del Canin, there you have to turn to the left into Calle de las Bodegas, to get to Mazarife.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Fu...m2!3d42.5785051!4d-5.6427566!16s/g/11fxb31n3d

The alternative is much better but like some others said, take water and snacks, no bar for ten km´s.

Regards

At the end of La Virgen del Camino, there is a very modern looking church (Basilica de la Virgen del Camino). Now you have to change to the left side of the road. At Plaza Santo Domingo you follow Calle la Paz. You will see very good marked signs and a board with the caminotrack and the alternative to Mazarife.
https://www.google.de/maps/@42.5792...4!1scio7SPCbbBxBsq776Ozn6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
You follow Calle la Paz up to Fuente del Canin, there you have to turn to the left into Calle de las Bodegas, to get to Mazarife.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Fuente+"El+Cañin"/@42.5783269,-5.6427861,137m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0xd379b577c380675:0x5c74288f8dcd8253!8m2!3d42.5785051!4d-5.6427566!16s/g/11fxb31n3d

The alternative is much better but like some others said, take water and snacks, no bar for ten km´s.

Regards

@donnercruiser ,
I remember well when I was there at that spot, 4 months ( May 23rd) ago and after reading that sign took that route to Hospital de Orbigo .. thought it is more rural walk ,not by the side of the noisy highway, through Villare de Mazarife a very very long day for me at 72, and had not much energy left in my body when I got to near Villavante ,I still don’t know how I get to Hospital de Orbigo , because my reservation was made there at the Albergue Casa de Los Hidalgo ,
A wonderful place and Jaun a great host of the albergue,
Very tiring and long, long day but one does not forget great things on the Way to Santiago.
Camino does not give what you Want,… Camino gives you what you Need.

Cheers and Buen Camino to all !

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@donnercruiser ,
I remember well when I was there at that spot, 4 months ( May 23rd) ago and after reading that sign took that route to Hospital de Orbigo .. thought it is more rural walk ,not by the side of the noisy highway, through Villare de Mazarife a very very long day for me at 72, and had not much energy left in my body when I got to near Villavante ,I still don’t know how I get to Hospital de Orbigo , because my reservation was made there at the Albergue Casa de Los Hidalgo ,
A wonderful place and Jaun a great host of the albergue,
Very tiring and long, long day but one does not forget great things on the Way to Santiago.
Camino does not give what you Want,… Camino gives you what you Need.

Cheers and Buen Camino to all !
The first half from La Virgen isn't a bad trek at all. But, the 10km, nearly straight stretch, from Villar de Mazarife to Villavante was the most challenging section of the whole Camino, imo. Desolate road walking the whole way; I think I saw 1 tractor and 1 car the whole time on the road in the afternoon sun. And because it is completely flat, and without any change in landscape features, it seems like you are making no progress at all. It is not only physically draining, but mentally draining as well. But, as you say, the Camino gives you what you need: After finally reaching Villavante I stayed at Molino Galochas, which turned out to be my favorite place to stay of the whole Camino, and will gladly go back so that I can stay with Mercedes and her husband in their lovely home over the river when I return and do the CF again.

But, the 10km, nearly straight stretch, from Villar de Mazarife to Villavante was the most challenging section of the whole Camino, imo. Desolate road walking the whole way; I think I saw 1 tractor and 1 car the whole time on the road in the afternoon sun.
That may be, but the other route beside the highway through Villadangos was worse. I have walked them both and would definitely choose Mazarife.

That may be, but the other route beside the highway through Villadangos was worse. I have walked them both and would definitely choose Mazarife.
It's funny, I've walked them both too, and I don't remember one being that much better than the other. Could have been that I was enjoying conversation with a fellow pilgrims, and didn't notice the scenery.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But, the 10km, nearly straight stretch, from Villar de Mazarife to Villavante was the most challenging section of the whole Camino, imo. Desolate road walking the whole way; I think I saw 1 tractor and 1 car the whole time on the road in the afternoon sun. And because it is completely flat, and without any change in landscape features, it seems like you are making no progress at all. It is not only physically draining, but mentally draining as well
Yes, this was my experience too - less a physical drain, than a mental one.
But I will say it is far easier when walking from Mazarife early in the morning than at 2 in the afternoon after a long and delicious lunch stop at Albergue San Antonio de Padua. The heat, the interminable straight tarmac, the beet fields that seem to go on forever...I learned my mental limits that day and how to walk through them.

(Edited to emphasize that in spite of that I would still always choose this way over the other. It's natural, far away from all the traffic.)

Last edited:
The first half from La Virgen isn't a bad trek at all. But, the 10km, nearly straight stretch, from Villar de Mazarife to Villavante was the most challenging section of the whole Camino, imo. Desolate road walking the whole way; I think I saw 1 tractor and 1 car the whole time on the road in the afternoon sun. And because it is completely flat, and without any change in landscape features, it seems like you are making no progress at all. It is not only physically draining, but mentally draining as well. But, as you say, the Camino gives you what you need: After finally reaching Villavante I stayed at Molino Galochas, which turned out to be my favorite place to stay of the whole Camino, and will gladly go back so that I can stay with Mercedes and her husband in their lovely home over the river when I return and do the CF again.
@jflorez,
i know what you mean and I agree with part of the Camino, after Leon . Lucky you , that you stayed at Villavante , the town I saw church spires few kms away and was happy that Hospital de Orbigo was in sight , but was heart broken ,so tired , with fatigue that it is not my albergue town,
it was one of longest and hardest walk on the Camino.
I tried to get a bed in San Martin del Camino but was told that it is all full and no bed available in any albergue.
thought came in mind to look for a cab to get to Hospital de Orbigo, in Villavante but only for a moment, and convince myself that it is my Camino and no body force me to do the Camino walk , and I kept walking one step at a time on empty,…..
but the Camino Gods were there to give me helping hand. I thought and
eventually l was able to walk few more kms to Hospital de Orbigo.

I’m m thinking by the Grace of God, Joe to do another Camino and if I do, will keep that Albergue Molino Galochas in Villavante in mind to stay there .

It will be slower walk, age/health is getting in the way.

I remember watching your videos , every one of them on YouTube, Joe,
well done Amigo ..
keep well ,
Cheers ! 🇨🇦

I took the scenic route in 2018 and loved it!! It was March and I was practically the only pilgrim (female, mid-60s). Very peaceful and lovely. Quiet. I stayed in some lovely allebergues -- sometimes the only pilgrim for the evening. Some of these had just opened for the first time. I am so glad I didn't take the more-traveled and noisy road route. I would highly recommend this alternative!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@jflorez,
i know what you mean and I agree with part of the Camino, after Leon . Lucky you , that you stayed at Villavante , the town I saw church spires few kms away and was happy that Hospital de Orbigo was in sight , but was heart broken ,so tired , with fatigue that it is not my albergue town,
it was one of longest and hardest walk on the Camino.
I tried to get a bed in San Martin del Camino but was told that it is all full and no bed available in any albergue.
thought came in mind to look for a cab to get to Hospital de Orbigo, in Villavante but only for a moment, and convince myself that it is my Camino and no body force me to do the Camino walk , and I kept walking one step at a time on empty,…..
but the Camino Gods were there to give me helping hand. I thought and
eventually l was able to walk few more kms to Hospital de Orbigo.

I’m m thinking by the Grace of God, Joe to do another Camino and if I do, will keep that Albergue Molino Galochas in Villavante in mind to stay there .

It will be slower walk, age/health is getting in the way.

I remember watching your videos , every one of them on YouTube, Joe,
well done Amigo ..
keep well ,
Cheers ! 🇨🇦
Ojalá que se puede ir en Camino otra vez, mi amigo! Thanks for the kind words, and be well!

Cheers!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Back