• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances versus Portuguese Way

Lostbutfound

Time of past OR future Camino
june 2017
My family and I, 2 50+ adults and 2 22+ male adventurers, are planning to walk a small portion of the Camino de Santiago in 2017 probably at the end of May into June. Our varying fitness levels have decided on trying the last 100 km either Sarria to Santiago or Tui to Santiago.

So many questions, where to begin? While I know there is no right answer, we could use some advice on which of these sections would be better in this time period. Also, we would like to stay in pensions or small hotels and could use some advice on this as it may help us determine route chosen. I see a lot of self guided tours, but I am leaning toward booking the rooms and consequently setting our pace ourselves.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having walked Camino Frances in 2014 and Camino Portugues in 2015 (from Porto), it was sometimes a challenge not to continuously compare the two. One of my realizations along The Way is you'll only have One First Camino. While it may be stating the obvious, your first Camino experience will perhaps be your most memorable. There were 5 in our group from St. Jean and we added a sixth (husband of a friend) in Sarria. I walked from Porto solo. This year, I'm walking with my wife from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia.

I'm glad I walked Camino Portugues. With my plans to be a hospitalero, I believe the experience offers a different perspective. In Portugal, I walked along the ocean. In Padron, I knelt at the outdoor altar where St. James preached. These are experiences not to be had on Camino Frances.

That said, the Camino Frances has so much infrastructure. It's rich in history. There are people the world over to share the adventure. I have many friends that want me to guide them on the Camino. Part of the excitement is figuring things out for yourself. How to get there. Where to stay. What to eat. You'll learn more and experience more without a "guide".

School in Spain typically lets out the third week in June. Personally, I would make every effort to reach Santiago before that date as the increased number of pilgrims is significant. May is a great time to walk - not too warm nor too cool. If it were at all possible to begin a little before Sarria, it would be worth it. Pilgrims that start in Astorga get to experience Cruz de Ferro and O'Cebreiro. Of course, those are two of the most significant vertical climbs of Camino Frances.

My best advice is to relax, let the Camino come to you. Don't rush, share with Pilgrims, Pray when you walk and let the beauty of the Camino fill your senses.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for the insight!
I'm wondering which route you took in Portugal. I'm looking at the coastal one but it seems as there are two.
I'm looking at going from Porto- Santiago in October of this year.
What is a good budget to plan on for the Portuguese route.
Thank you for any info!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great advice although it does emphasize the difficulty in selecting between the two paths. Given the your advice as to my first time walking, I think I will have to pick Frances. Better infrastructure will help me plan it myself. That in itself will be an experience. Thanks for the tip about June. One of our party is in school until mid May, but I'll push it into later May.

I trained from Lisbon to Porto and took a day to see the Cathedral and walk the river. The next day I took the Metro to Matosinhos and walked the coastline to Vila do Conde. It's a very peaceful walk with very few pilgrims. I know many people continue the coastline, but there were a few things I wanted to see on the inland route and I enjoy the camaraderie of other pilgrims. It's my understanding the Coastal route offers more solitude. From Vila do Conde, I walked to Sao Pedro de Rates which has the first Portuguese municipal albergue established on the route. This is where I met many pilgrims that I would continue to see for the rest of the trip. The albergue has the "special" two color stamp for your credencial. I made my reservation for Casa Fernanda and walked peacefully to Santiago. I paused at Quinta Estrada Romana and would plan to stay there if I made another trip. I started on Oct. 1 and finished Oct. 15. I took some extra time in Valenca and Tui and stayed in Teo to make my trek on the last day into Santiago a bit shorter.

As for budget, I stayed in albergues and some hotels. In Porrino, the municipal was closed due to bed bugs. 40 Euro a day is doable if you avoid the hotels and casa rurals, eat modest meals and defer the fine wines and ports. I had no issue finding an ATM, when needed. My experience was the Portuguese route has a similar cost to Camino Frances, just less options.

Bom Caminho!

My family and I, 2 50+ adults and 2 22+ male adventurers, are planning to walk a small portion of the Camino de Santiago in 2017 probably at the end of May into June. Our varying fitness levels have decided on trying the last 100 km either Sarria to Santiago or Tui to Santiago.

So many questions, where to begin? While I know there is no right answer, we could use some advice on which of these sections would be better in this time period. Also, we would like to stay in pensions or small hotels and could use some advice on this as it may help us determine route chosen. I see a lot of self guided tours, but I am leaning toward booking the rooms and consequently setting our pace ourselves.
French if it's your first, for many reasons. Portuguese if you'd rather not have the crowds. Self-guided will get you a place near the Camino, usually a step up from the small albergues. Book well in advance if you plan at staying at the 'nicer' places 'on' the Camino. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Portuguese from Porto is no more tricky infrastructure-wise than the Frances. And there are way more arrows!!

Portuguese from Porto is no more tricky infrastructure-wise than the Frances. And there are way more arrows!!

You have done the Portugese route? I would love to hear impressions from a fellow kiwi. We returned from the Frances 3 weeks ago. Second time for me and my husband's first Camino. We are considering the Portugese next year. We are older and don't want long stages... maximum 20kms a day. Is this doable? We thought of doing the coastal route but note that a lot of people move from it to the inland route part way through.

You have done the Portugese route? I would love to hear impressions from a fellow kiwi. We returned from the Frances 3 weeks ago. Second time for me and my husband's first Camino. We are considering the Portugese next year. We are older and don't want long stages... maximum 20kms a day. Is this doable? We thought of doing the coastal route but note that a lot of people move from it to the inland route part way through.
My husband and I walked from Porto last year for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Here are threads I have contributed to:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-portugues.38041/#post-371749
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ponte-de-lima-steep-climb.36014/#post-336924
and my summary of our walk: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tial-impressions-post-walk.34684/#post-321098
If you want to see our day-by-day accounts you can look at our blog and click on Camino Portuguese....http://charitywalking.wordpress.com/
Any further questions I would be happy to answer.
Have a look at gronze for accommodation options to see what kind of distances you'd need to do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I walked from Porto last year for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Here are threads I have contributed to:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-portugues.38041/#post-371749
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ponte-de-lima-steep-climb.36014/#post-336924
and my summary of our walk: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tial-impressions-post-walk.34684/#post-321098
If you want to see our day-by-day accounts you can look at our blog and click on Camino Portuguese....http://charitywalking.wordpress.com/
Any further questions I would be happy to answer.
Have a look at gronze for accommodation options to see what kind of distances you'd need to do.

Thank you. Now to see if we can manage another camino. I bought Pacer poles after a previous conversation with you. They are fantastic.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
One of my Pacer poles broke on the Via de la Plata in May. Heather arranged to have a replacement section mailed to Merida and it arrived the day before we left the town. Unbelievably the other pole broke two weeks later. On both occasions, no excessive force was being applied as we were simply walking along a paved path. In each case, the bottom section simply fell out. Again, they replaced it, no questions asked. Of course it is not good that they should be faulty, but the service was second to none. And I realised just how good they are - I had to walk a week through the hills of the Sanabres with only one pole and ended up with knee trouble! I still wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend Pacer Poles.
I endorse the idea of doing the Portuguese route too, so long as you understand how it differs to the Frances. (If I were you though, I would opt for either the Salvador/Primitivo combination - or if you are short on time, the Sanabres - both of these have more spectacular scenery than the Portuguese).

Thanks for the insight!
I'm wondering which route you took in Portugal. I'm looking at the coastal one but it seems as there are two.
I'm looking at going from Porto- Santiago in October of this year.
What is a good budget to plan on for the Portuguese route.
Thank you for any info!
The Litoral is literally on the coast The Coastal is inland. These are tough routes to budget because the food is so good. We walked in October as expected it rained!... Ultreya.... Willy/Utah/USA

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Here's how we tackled the Caminho Portuguese starting on May 24 this year. We had great weather the entire time, and I think the Tui to Santiago route is doable for most people (although the Redondela leg is a bit longer):
· Started in Sagres, Portugal, heading north on the Rota Vicentina, picking up the Fisherman's trail as soon as possible, and eventually getting to Lisbon
· Headed west out of Lisbon taking a coastal route to Sao Pedro de Moel, then cut inland to Coimbra and, eventually, Porto.
· Took the coastal route to Angeiras, then cut inland to Arcos, eventually to Tui, and finally Santiago de Compostela

So much for our route. On to the places I can recommend staying at in Tui and beyond:
· Tui - Albergue Villa San Clemente – On the northern end of town and right on the trail, making it a great jumping off point when you leave. We got a private room on the 2nd floor and really liked it. Easy to get to Valenca, which I recommend because the fort is awesome!

· Redondela – Casa Rural As Chivas – kind of a long slog to get there, actually going past Redondela up into the foothills. Very nice, and is another great spot to start your next day’s hike since it’s a straight shot to the trail.

· Pontevedra – Parador de Pontevedra – On the high end of the price scale but, hey, you’ve earned it, amirite? Beautiful and very near the trail

· Calas de Reis – I’ve got nothing. We stayed at the Hotel Sena, but it’s nothing special and kind of out of the way.

· Escravitude - Casa Grande da Capellania – Former rectory for the church next door, family owned and run for generations. BTW, by staying here instead of Padron, it makes for a nice easy day into Santiago. This place is a comfortable and homey, and the proprietor will cook you a dinner that’s fantastic. Great place to stay…unless you’re sensitive to noise ‘cause it is very close to a busy highway. It didn’t bother us, but that’s just us, so your mileage may vary. It is also right on top of the trail, so a great place to head off to Santiago.

· Santiago – Hotel Costa Vella – OK, the best for last. I highly recommend the Costa Vella. Roberto, the proprietor, will do everything he can to make your stay enjoyable. Also, the place is beautiful and has a garden area that can’t be beat which will help calm your mind after days of hiking. This place is an absolute gem!

One of my Pacer poles broke on the Via de la Plata in May. Heather arranged to have a replacement section mailed to Merida and it arrived the day before we left the town. Unbelievably the other pole broke two weeks later. On both occasions, no excessive force was being applied as we were simply walking along a paved path. In each case, the bottom section simply fell out. Again, they replaced it, no questions asked. Of course it is not good that they should be faulty, but the service was second to none. And I realised just how good they are - I had to walk a week through the hills of the Sanabres with only one pole and ended up with knee trouble! I still wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend Pacer Poles.
I endorse the idea of doing the Portuguese route too, so long as you understand how it differs to the Frances. (If I were you though, I would opt for either the Salvador/Primitivo combination - or if you are short on time, the Sanabres - both of these have more spectacular scenery than the Portuguese).
And thank you again. I had wondered about the Primitivo. I need to Google the Sanabres. I am not familiar with it. Interesting about the Pacer poles. I have the lighter ones so hope they stand the pace OK.

The Sanabres is a logical extension from the Via de la Plata (instead of heading due north to Astorga and having to join the Frances). It officially starts in Granja de Moreruela, but I would pick Zamora as my main town to start in. So you'd do a couple of days on the Via de la Plata first, then turn left at Granja for the Sanabres which was pretty stunning, even tough we had lots of rain!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back