• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances vs. Via De La Plata Average Daily Distances?

Sara_Dhooma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
This question is for those have walked both the Camino Frances and Via De La Plata in past....

Did your average daily distances increase on the Via De La Plata?

Thanks for any input, it will help with my planning.

Cheers,
Sara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found the vdlp very, very different from the Frances - in general very rural, few pilgrims, longer distances between towns/villages and on occasions 30k plus walks with no facilities between stops. I found it demanding, on one particular day pushing me almost to my limit. But also beautiful, a teacher, very rewarding...

Two big differences, first of all, fewer pilgrims, which adds to the solitude, but also the camaraderie as you usually end up with the same people every night. Second, there are usually no towns between your starting point and you destination. This can make for long days, of 30 plus km at times. Enjoy every minute of it, it's a great hike.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This question is for those have walked both the Camino Frances and Via De La Plata in past....

Cheers,
Sara
Hi, Sara, Welcome to the forum!

I hope that @Anemone del Camino sees this thread, because she has figured out a way to walk shorter Vdlp stages than the 30+ days that many have reported.

Many of us walked longer stages on the Vdlp than on the Frances, in part because we had no choice (and then found out that in fact we were fine with 35 km days!) and also in part because there is much less elevation gain. Take a look at some of the online sites with elevations shown (mundicamino will show it clearly) and you'll see that it's much flatter. The hills that there are come in the latter part after Zamora, and by then you're likely to be in much better shape anyway.

Happy planning, that's almost as much fun as walking! Just remember that once you have the plan, you are likely to throw it out numerous times in response to the way the camino unfolds. I think planning is still a good thing (at least for those who like it) but I think most of us use it as a ballpark estimate rather than a rigid schedule. Buen camino, Laurie

Cheers,
Sara
I've done both... Distances on the VdlP are longer, as others describe above. I was able to make some shorter days out of long stretches, but then the days were too short. I'm happy with 20-25km, and found myself needing to choose between 11-15km and 35+ on some days. If you can find a way to be comfortable with longer distances, it will give you a lot more options.

I would like to know if there is any
backpack transport on the Via de la Plata?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie,

I'm here! ;)

The OP asks id daily distances increase on VDLP vs the Frances.

I suppose that depends on what one does on the Frances. There are those who do 30km daily on the Frances. For those the classic guidebook etapas of VDLP will not make much of a difference.

Then there are those who like to be in the low 20s, like me. This is super doable on the Frances, you could even do much less if you wanted on the Frances. If they go by the guidebook etapas then yes, distances would increase.

But then I have a friend... Excel. And I plot my own etapas to stay close to the low twenties. I have mapped Sevilla to Salamanca and with taxis and/or a bus to "eat out" the first few km in the morning or afternoon of an etapa twice, yes, only twice, it can be done. Excel resides on my laptop, and I'm on my tablet, bit I think I added 5 days in order to do so.

Yes there are a few times when I end up with a 15km only etapa, but I just call it a "rest afternoon". :cool:

The route is longer and therefore the time people have available to finish may be tighter. So, perhaps people push themselves a little more.

With only a few exceptions, accommodation is available every 20 km or so. The problem is to combine the stages efficiently, so they are neither too long nor too short and the 1000 km can be completely within, say 6 weeks. Using the amazing godescalco.com (which you can download to Excel), no matter how many times I go over it, I come up with 45 days walking. Those days range from 15 to 35 km of walking, with an average of about 25 km/day. Normally I like to plan an average of 20/day.

That means I need 7 weeks in Spain, unless I decide on some transportation assistance.

I think I will try it in Spring 2017. Just not sure if I will book a full 7 weeks away.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anemone del Camino, this is always a source of confusion. While they give an overview of the VDLP (on the link you provided) if you read on, they in fact, only provide a backpack transport service on the c. Sanabes. Hopefully one day they will extend this to the via.
You are correct. My appologies. I will delete my posts.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond! Your answers have been super helpful.

I'm hoping to get out on this Camino in April. :)

Cheers!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond! Your answers have been super helpful.

I'm hoping to get out on this Camino in April. :)

Cheers!
If you are interested in the result of two evenings' worth of plotting, send me a "converation" message to remind me to send you my 20ish km etapas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back